U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 09:10 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,533,733 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some input on starting a business website. I want to start a website for my very small business. I am not very good with computers overall, but can get around pretty decent when things are user friendly. I want to design a website that will have roughly 15-20 pages plus a blog page. I only need about 5 email addresses.

My main concern is ease of use in building the site. I have already developed a company logo that I will use on the page and have access to all of the pictures I need. Most of my pages will be pictures with descriptions, so depending on how things look, I may want to add more pages over time.

I have already purchased the domain name from godaddy.com. We also purchased their webhosting package without much research unfortunately. What I have found is that the layout and tools for editing pages are not very intuitive or user friendly. My wife is much more computer literate than I am and actually had her own very basic website years ago, but she also had a lot of trouble working with the godaddy service.

Can anyone recommend a service that would be ideal for users who are buildign a basic small business website? I just want a clean look, easy tools for editing, and the ability to add feature for accepting payment online at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 09:45 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I am looking for some input on starting a business website. I want to start a website for my very small business. I am not very good with computers overall, but can get around pretty decent when things are user friendly. I want to design a website that will have roughly 15-20 pages plus a blog page. I only need about 5 email addresses.

My main concern is ease of use in building the site. I have already developed a company logo that I will use on the page and have access to all of the pictures I need. Most of my pages will be pictures with descriptions, so depending on how things look, I may want to add more pages over time.

I have already purchased the domain name from godaddy.com. We also purchased their webhosting package without much research unfortunately. What I have found is that the layout and tools for editing pages are not very intuitive or user friendly. My wife is much more computer literate than I am and actually had her own very basic website years ago, but she also had a lot of trouble working with the godaddy service.

Can anyone recommend a service that would be ideal for users who are buildign a basic small business website? I just want a clean look, easy tools for editing, and the ability to add feature for accepting payment online at some point.
I highly recommend WordPress. It can be installed very easily on most hosting packages, it's super easy to use, can handle both pages and blog entries, has a ton of plugins to extent functionality, a very large community for support, and lots of free and premium themes available to change the look of the site.

It's also simple to backup and move a WP installation to another host if you decide that you don't want to stay with Go Daddy at some point in the future as well.

I believe that Go Daddy has an automated installer for WP: Installing WordPress on Your Hosting Account - Search the Go Daddy Help Center

If you feel comfortable with FTP (or the file manager at Go Daddy) you can download a copy of WP and follow the installation instructions here: WordPress › Download to install it on your hosting package.

Either way, you can get started with WP here: WordPress › Blog Tool and Publishing Platform

Old 05-31-2011, 10:32 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,721,212 times
WordPress will probably work for what you need. Drupal is another option. I like Drupal, but be warned that it has a bit of a learning curve. It's highly customizable but might be too much trouble for a basic website.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,431,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post

I used the Website Tonight site builder provided by GoDaddy, and found it pretty intuitive. When you get it launched, look at the action links at the top of the page for "insert", "links" and the like.

Look at the first page of my 5 page site, which seems to me like the type of those pages that you are planning:

Luxury Princeville Kauai Vacation Rental.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:55 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
I used the Website Tonight site builder provided by GoDaddy, and found it pretty intuitive. When you get it launched, look at the action links at the top of the page for "insert", "links" and the like.

Look at the first page of my 5 page site, which seems to me like the type of those pages that you are planning:

Luxury Princeville Kauai Vacation Rental.
The only problem with these type of proprietary site builders is that they aren't portable. There is a lot of extra code that is generated to create a site, and the site relies on scripts that are hosted on GoDaddy's servers. None of that can be taken with you. If you decide that you don't want to use GoDaddy anymore you have to rebuild your site from scratch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers