U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,568,230 times

Advertisements

I am looking to build a desktop to run Linux (more than likely KDE), and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a decent motherboard.

I am not a gamer, so I don't need the most powerful board.

Intended use:

-Word processing, spread sheets, and creating the occasional presentation.

-Lite desk-top publishing.

-and pretty much "lite" everything else.

-Media "center"; storing/playing music, some movies/videos, and pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,896 posts, read 33,628,448 times
If you don't need gaming, why not go with a small footprint MicroATX? Those can run fanless and have plenty of horsepower.

I have the Intel BOXD510MO E76523 Intel NM10 Mini-ITX Motherboard Integrated Intel Atom D510 DDR2 800 SATA HD Motherboard CPU Combo Audio GB LAN-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com, which is $80 for mobo and processor. I used it to build a small desktop last fall. There's probably something newer and better now.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:38 PM

I have looked into the micro boards, and they would suit my needs just fine. I am partial to a "full sized" board, primarily in case I want to expand in the future.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,761,054 times
My two homebuilts have ASUS motherboards with NVidia chipsets. I'm very satisfied with them.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:25 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,678,159 times
I've used ASUS boards for years (and lots of them), and never had any problems except with the very cheapest bottom of the line boards.

Of course you'll want to make sure that there are drivers for sound, video, etc, for your chosen distro.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,705,982 times
This is a peculiar thread. For many, any old name brand mobo will do, as long as your processor, RAM and video card are compatible. Have you already bought the other components? What exactly are we talking here as far as budget?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:10 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,678,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
This is a peculiar thread. For many, any old name brand mobo will do, as long as your processor, RAM and video card are compatible. Have you already bought the other components? What exactly are we talking here as far as budget?
My guess is that the OP doesn't know which brands are considered name brand?

Old 06-03-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
My guess is that the OP doesn't know which brands are considered name brand?
Off the top of my head, I would say that ASUS, Biostar ASRock, MSI, and....that is all I can think of at the moment...are name brand.

I have never built a computer, but I have installed various distros of Linux on what-ever Mac I had at the time over the last 6 or 7 years. Some things worked, some were able to be made to work, and others had "no solution" as far as I was able to find. (I'm talking about stuff like wifi, Bluetooth, head phone/audio out, two-finger scroll, particular function keys, etc. etc.).

Some Linux distros are better than others at being compatible with various hardware/chips/cards/proprietary drivers/etc. Those that aren't usually have work-arounds. And even though many distros have come along way over the years, there are still many gaps in support and it can be hit-or-miss.

I know people on this forum either use Linux and/or build their own machines. I am hoping that a user can recommend a decent mother board that they had [good] success with installing, and running, Linux.

As far as budget...I dunno, $500 tops, although I've played around Newegg and priced a few different configurations for around $300 that should be plenty computer for my needs.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:06 PM

14,781 posts, read 36,570,658 times
Generally most people consider ASUS and Gigabyte the top two manufacturers, followed in no particular order by eVGA, MSI, Intel, ASRock and Biostar.

Personally I have always used ASUS boards and have never had any issues. Overall it comes down to the feautres you want and the processor you are using, after that it's all about price.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:14 PM

494 posts, read 1,467,158 times
When it comes to mobo brands, I buy either Asus or Gigabyte for pure realibilty and easy configuration purposes. There might be better brands out there, but these are usually safe bets. So I were you, I would consider a lower end of one of these. At the most, a decent board with just onboard sound and video should only set you back like $130 at the most, You could probably go lower, but I wouldn't buy a mobo that's lower than $80

Something like this:

Newegg.com - ASUS P8H61-M (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

No onboard video, but you don't need a power video card for linux. Stick a stick of 4 gig ram in there, a budget video card, i3 or i5, and you are good to go.

For Linux distribution, I really recommend Unbuntu if it's yoru first time using a linix operating system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or