U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 10:31 AM

5,370 posts, read 11,274,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
this may be because I only turn the hard drive ON when needed, and then turn it off.
Does not always work, unless you do it very *infrequently*.
Turning electronics on and off rather often, does not do any good for the life of the electronics.
If this is the case, very frequent on and off, then leaving it on is better.
Once the electronics are at *working* temperatures, the hardware will last longer.
Even then, it depends on how often the HD reads or writes.

From my time of *way back* computers, I still have a few hard drives (internal ones),
that were, in modern terms, rather smallish.
I still use them as *external* drives, and I know some of them are over 10 years old .
I have one that is 20 Gigs big, and I remember that I thought I would *never* fill that up .
Irony is that I now use SD cards, that can hold the same amount of data ...
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 02:53 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,305,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Does not always work, unless you do it very *infrequently*.
Turning electronics on and off rather often, does not do any good for the life of the electronics.
If this is the case, very frequent on and off, then leaving it on is better.
Once the electronics are at *working* temperatures, the hardware will last longer.
Even then, it depends on how often the HD reads or writes.

From my time of *way back* computers, I still have a few hard drives (internal ones),
that were, in modern terms, rather smallish.
I still use them as *external* drives, and I know some of them are over 10 years old .
I have one that is 20 Gigs big, and I remember that I thought I would *never* fill that up .
Irony is that I now use SD cards, that can hold the same amount of data ...
You are correct, and in my case I just turn and plug the drives to the computers perhaps once per month. However, if the electrical power at home is fairly clean (no surges), then leaving the drives ON is not too bad.

The main enemies of electrical devices are heat and power surges. I understand that manufacturers tell that it's best to leave the computer and drives on, but maybe I am too old to change and never do that

Old 07-05-2011, 03:21 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,705,980 times
I am late to this party but that 1.5tb seagate is the worst hard drive I've ever had the displeasure of using. I have two and within the last year and a half or so, I've replaced one 5 times, and the other is on the way to seagate right now actually, for it's 3rd replacement. If I would have had to pay shipping on all these, I'd be in the hole for more than they cost to begin with. Luckily this isn't the case.

Horrible, horrible drives. I don't trust them at all. I don't trust any seagate drive for that matter, but it could be an anomaly and I don't expect anyone to agree or disagree on my own personal experience :P

Old 07-05-2011, 06:40 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
How Long Do External Hard Drives Last?

NHDave said several years ago that hard drives last anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 years. I haven't seen anything to make me disbelieve that.
How do you remember this stuff? I said it and I don't remember it!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:38 AM

448 posts, read 878,031 times
id'e burn all my files to cd or dvd r discs and burn two copies and put one in a safe deposit box also that way you know you have your files.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers