Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 AM

306 posts, read 436,514 times

Advertisements

I got the WindowsRecovery virus through a pdf file.

It appears to have wiped out my documents, pictures, etc.

Does anyone know about this and how go I get it off my computer?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 02:04 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,801 times
Have you tried these steps? Windows Recovery - Virus Solution and Removal

Old 04-16-2011, 06:43 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Remove Windows Recovery (Uninstall Guide)

Old 04-16-2011, 09:21 AM

306 posts, read 436,514 times
Thanks for the input. AVG finally stepped up and quaratined it, then I deleted it.

The problem is now I can't find my documents, pictures, etc.

Even when I save a new document I can't seem to find it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:37 AM

8,317 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
Thanks for the input. AVG finally stepped up and quaratined it, then I deleted it.

The problem is now I can't find my documents, pictures, etc.

Even when I save a new document I can't seem to find it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Why is this odd thing still occurring if AVG had stepped up and disinfect the malware? My guess is the malicious infection is still active, even partially or AVG really prevailed against it but as a collateral damage of the infection the file association is messed.

Test this, open Word or another common program and create a new document, give it a unique name and save it somewhere simple like your desktop where you should see the file getting created right away.
Now:
~ Was the file created?
~ Did it have the proper file extension (.doc, .txt, .jpg, etc.)?
~ Was the file name what you typed?

This should get you to analyze the issue a bit further. I am sure the others will step in too. If it is indeed File Type-Association that was changed, then you can correct it via: Settings > Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types.

FileTypesMan is a really good alternative to Windows own applet, in case if you are interested.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:52 PM

I know exactly why you can't find your docs, this new strain of nasties changes file and folder attributes to hidden, they're there but you can't see them, it may change only some folders or it may set every file and folder on the drive as hidden. If you go to "My Computer" do you see anything?

What you'll need to do is go to control panel > folder options, and set it to show hidden files, then you'll have to go through and unhide the directories that are not supposed to be hidden, not an easy task but I haven't found an easy way to reset those attributes to default.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Why is this odd thing still occurring if AVG had stepped up and disinfect the malware? My guess is the malicious infection is still active, even partially or AVG really prevailed against it but as a collateral damage of the infection the file association is messed.
It's because the malware changed the attributes of the directories to hidden and this is not something a malware scanner or antivirus app deals with, so it won't revert the attributs to their default state as it isn't aware of them.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:46 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
I got the WindowsRecovery virus through a pdf file.

It appears to have wiped out my documents, pictures, etc.

Does anyone know about this and how go I get it off my computer?

Thanks.
Was this through a pdf torrent? What is the name of the pdf that gave you this?

I never got a virus through a pdf torrent.

I got a trojan / virus from a video game and after I removed it my main Vista 64 install was damaged -- it could never update Windows and Windows Defender was always off.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Was this through a pdf torrent? What is the name of the pdf that gave you this?

I never got a virus through a pdf torrent.
They usually come through email disguised as an important notice, the name is irrelevant as it changes regularly. It can also come as a word doc embedded with a malicious PDF.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:57 AM

Here's a good read on a newer type of PDF malware
Who ordered spam? New trick in PDF malware uncovered | Naked Security
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers