U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:09 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,274,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyBeing View Post
...good coding is insignificant...
If by that you mean "code everything from scratch" then you're gonna' keep seeing that attitude from businesses. Companies have all caught on to the "code it all new" approach to dragging out a contract.

I've seen code that removed list change notifications and trashed a whole system. Because someone was gonna' "code it right and make it fast" by removing that *unneeded* notification code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 AM

336 posts, read 687,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
If by that you mean "code everything from scratch" then you're gonna' keep seeing that attitude from businesses. Companies have all caught on to the "code it all new" approach to dragging out a contract.
I actually didn't mean that at all. It's smart to reuse existing code and use open source, if it fits. Certainly true for Jquery. And with so much work out there, it would be ridiculous to drag anything out. It's better to prove yourself and get more projects...if there is a budget for them... My point is that nowdays there is little to no time allocated for architecture and design...it's sit down an write, at least at the last few projects I've been involved in.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:47 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times
Quote:
I actually didn't mean that at all. It's smart to reuse existing code and use open source, if it fits. Certainly true for Jquery. And with so much work out there, it would be ridiculous to drag anything out. It's better to prove yourself and get more projects...if there is a budget for them... My point is that nowdays there is little to no time allocated for architecture and design...it's sit down an write, at least at the last few projects I've been involved in.
There never was enough time for requirements and design. That approach was never implemented in the software industry (even though that's we were taught in school). Scrum is the future. Companies rather rebuild a system every 18 months than make it dynamic and able to scale.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
My point is that nowdays there is little to no time allocated for architecture and design...it's sit down an write, at least at the last few projects I've been involved in.
Management looks at it as sit down and be productive. They want to *see* something they can call *product*. Which means design and architecture work is not something they can see the benefits of.

It's amazing because their inability to understand ends up costing more. Proper design and architecture work can save hundreds or thousands of coding hours depending on the project.

I've personally worked on projects where someone would hide in a room for a couple days and come out with a few data structures and supporting algorithms that cut months off of development time.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Scrum is the future.
The "big picture" requirements and design encapsulate Scrum. Scrum Teams work on pieces of the design defined by the Product Owner.

I didn't work on the Scrum process definition. But, it appears to me that Scum's job is to keep labor *busy*. So, instead of labor sitting around waiting for a sign off so they can get to work. Scrum affords the ability to keep them busy at all times by having teams work on various pieces of a system. The architecture and design that *drives* a particular *piece* is uncovered by the Scrum Master after Daily Scrums or Sprints.

Keep in mind that's my usage of Scrum and may not fit how everyone approaches it.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:09 PM

336 posts, read 687,930 times
Quote:
There never was enough time for requirements and design. That approach was never implemented in the software industry (even though that's we were taught in school).
I agree with that. Years ago I took part in training for RUP (Rational Unified Process). While it had much to offer, it also bogged down developlment cycle, imo. And where is it now?

Quote:
Companies rather rebuild a system every 18 months than make it dynamic and able to scale.
Well, this is where I take an issue. It's pricy to rebuild systems in such frequency. If you mean small sites or just UI, well ok. But many apps are data/bus flow/logic intensive. Solid architecture (DI pattern and various frameworks) can keep an app maintainble and.... testable

Old 06-11-2011, 04:20 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,848,547 times
Quote:
There never was enough time for requirements and design. That approach was never implemented in the software industry (even though that's we were taught in school). Scrum is the future. Companies rather rebuild a system every 18 months than make it dynamic and able to scale.
A big financial company I worked for years ago had to decommission a major project because they didn't plan on the scalability of the system well enough which ended up costing close to $2 Billion not to mention 3 years of enormous hours of worked by many dedicated employees who later on ended up getting rewarded by wave after wave of lay-offs.

Better the planning, lesser the pain and perspiration later on.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 AM

6,467 posts, read 11,724,666 times
In my area, there is a high demand for Ruby, Java and IOS developers (in that order.)

Old 06-13-2012, 07:30 AM

14,393 posts, read 21,078,607 times
Your answer is at TIOBE Software: The Coding Standards Company

Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,844,198 times
Quote:
You make really interesting points. However, aren't mobile devices the future anyway? So then, wouldn't this give an edge to Java?
Quote:
I personally think that mobile apps are at their peak now. Going forward, I expect everything to be web apps that run across multiple platforms through web browsers.

Based on my expectations, learning HTML5 would be a good idea.
Money post NJ. As HTML5 continues to phase into full implementation more and more of the debates over whether to create a true app or just serve up a rich browser based solution will fall into the latter as the choice. Hell even this Windows 8 Metro thing leans very heavily on javascript and HTML5.

I'd submit going forward having jquery/javascript/HTML5 in your toolbox is as valuable as anything java or C#.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers