U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,837,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
Second of all, any java developer can learn c# pretty quickly as the thier sytanx and OOP setup are almost identical. Obviously, there are some minor differences between the two, but a java programmer learning C# shouldn't be too hard, so I say focus on that first.
Agree 100%. My current gig uses a lot of C#, but they hired me because of Java background figuring I'd pick it up easily, and sure enough I was productive within a few days. Could even use intellisense to stumble into the correct libraries most of the time without any research, overall a very easy transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 164 times
Default C# and Java

C# has automatic properties which are incredibly convenient and they also help to keep your code cleaner, at least when you don't have custom logic in your getters and setters. With Java generics, you don't actually get any of the execution efficiency that you get with .NET because when you compile a generic class in Java, the compiler takes away the type parameter and substitutes Object everywhere. For instance if you have a Foo<T> class the java compiler generates Byte Code as if it was Foo<Object>. This means casting and also boxing/unboxing will have to be done in the "background".
I've been playing with Java/C# for a while now and, in my opinion, the major difference at the language level are, as you pointed, delegates.

More about.... [url=http://csharp.net-informations.com/overview/csharp-java.htm]C# and JAVA[/url]

Brian

Old 04-06-2017, 10:55 PM

1,261 posts, read 626,376 times
I learned Java 1.x at the turn of the century for corporate training in Colorado. I learned the old Java AWT/Swing and some basic JDBC - nothing major. Java was heavily used with Oracle 8i at the time on a physical Linux box. I did not work with Java again and spent about 8 years on C#/.Net. That faded over time and demand dropped. Meanwhile, Java was gaining momentum as time went on.

After Java 5, annotations became prevalent. The use of annotations with cross-cutting concerns is a major advantage of Java. Modern Java 8 has replaced Swing with JavaFX. And Java now has microservices to work with REST on the cloud. Java is very strong with test libraries like Selenium, Cucumber, TestNG, JUnit, and Pax-Exam. Maven and Eclipse are powerful tools. So is IntelliJ. The Maven project allows integration with Jenkins for periodic builds and related test automation.

Modern Java also has Android. Java JDBC has expanded to work with a variety of databases: MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, etc. NoSQL is also common with elastic searches. Java microserves with PaaS on the cloud is very powerful.

In terms of raw demand, Java is much larger than C#. As an experienced tester, I know that job postings on sites like dice.com, indeed.com, etc. generally show far better paying Java jobs with more openings in more locations than C#.

The one language that may overtake Java is JavaScript. Python also continues to grow, but JavaScript and Node.JS with Express are coming along. JavaScript is also coming into fruition with embedded operating systems on the server side. So it is growing fast.

But Java is very strong for now. In 20 years, it's tough to predict. Older programmers often tell me of the time Fortran 77 was prevalent. Before C#, there was Visual Basic which was actually a good graphics tool. So these languages tend to lose steam over time. It's best to keep learning new languages and remain diverse. The economy can be cruel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers