U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:52 PM

870 posts, read 847,441 times

Advertisements

I just bought some HP CD-RW disks and when I go to my word processor there is no "save to disk" option. Neither does my Acer Aspire 7540-1317 provide any answer when I enter questions concerning saving text to disk. I did format the disk as instructed. Would appreciate some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 09:00 PM

26,345 posts, read 83,895,661 times
I think you'd have to (or should) save it to your C drive first, then burn the files to the CD via the CD burner.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Charles wrote: I think you'd have to (or should) save it to your C drive first, then burn the files to the CD via the CD burner.
If saving it as usual after writing it doesn't save it to the C-file then what does save it to the C-file? This computer doesn't even have an icon to access the cd player. I just searched all over and nothing. Neither does it provide detailed instructions on how to save to disk!
Sorry if I sound frustrated but I am.

Last edited by Radrook; 06-04-2011 at 09:29 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 09:22 PM

494 posts, read 1,467,154 times
You can't save anything directly to a CD, everything must be burned. If you want instant read/write capability, large space, and portability consider getting a flash drive.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:25 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,258,558 times
Check you local community college, or even a local computer retailer to see if you can sign up for a very basic computers for beginners class.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Check you local community college, or even a local computer retailer to see if you can sign up for a very basic computers for beginners class
deleted

Last edited by Radrook; 06-04-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
You can't save anything directly to a CD, everything must be burned. If you want instant read/write capability, large space, and portability consider getting a flash drive.
Thanx for the advice.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:15 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,258,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
I'm a beginner after using a computer for fifteen years? You are too quick to assume too much my friend. What I am is unfamiliar with some of the new inovations since I was using a 1995 computer until a year or so ago. To be honest I prefer the old computers with their straightforward intuitive simplicity rather than this piece of crap.
No offense intended, but your question led me to assume otherwise.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:00 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,583,741 times
What version of Windows?

Old 06-04-2011, 11:18 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,583,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
If saving it as usual after writing it doesn't save it to the C-file then what does save it to the C-file? This computer doesn't even have an icon to access the cd player. I just searched all over and nothing. Neither does it provide detailed instructions on how to save to disk!
Sorry if I sound frustrated but I am.
A bit confused. Which is normal for me.

You don't mention what word processor, either.

Assuming Windows XP.

I'm going to leave my text below, but here is a good link for this process in XP:

Copy files to CD-R/CD-RW in Windows XP (http://www.cod.edu/it/howdoi/burncd.htm - broken link)

Most word processors use My Documents on drive C: as the default location for saving, so unless you did a Save As or browsed to a different location to save the file that's where it probably is.

Zeroing in on the lack of an icon for the CD drive I'm not sure to what (or perhaps, where) you are referring. Normally there is no icon, say, on the desktop. You should. however, find a Drive D: or E: when you browse with Windows Explorer or My Computer. If you see CD RW Drive (drive letter in the listing that's it.

Once you find the file on drive C: (hopefully in My Documents) then you can drag-and-drop it to the CD drive shown in Windows Explorer. This doesn't actually write the file to the CD, it let's the system know the file is ready to copy.

This is where it gets iffy for me because it's been awhile, but...

If you now click on the CD drive in Windows Explorer you should get a panel on the side that shows files ready to be copied. Highlight the filename then click OK, or Continue, or whatever the button is to tell it to finish. It should now copy the file from C: to the CD drive.

It's been a while I hope I have all this correct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers