Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 08:54 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times

Advertisements

I have a 1TB Western Digital about a year old. I'd say it's 80% full of movies.
I went to plug it in and for some reason my PC AND my lap top can't find it.
I have lots of home movies on there that I want. How can I get to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 08:59 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Is it plugged in (powered up)?
Are there lights or sounds coming from it?
What operating system? Win XP or 7?
Try it on more computers?
Bad cable, try another data USB cable?

If still no joy, I have no idea.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:08 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
Is it plugged in---yes--and the lights come on , but the one that shows 'activity' does not

What operating system? --win xp

Try it on more computers?--yes

Bad cable, try another data USB cable--yes

Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Is it plugged in---yes--and the lights come on , but the one that shows 'activity' does not

What operating system? --win xp

Try it on more computers?--yes

Bad cable, try another data USB cable--yes

1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
  2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.

Note If you do not see Performance and Maintenance, go to step 3. Performance and Maintenance appears in Control Panel only if you use Category view. If you use Classic view, Performance and Maintenance does not appear.
  3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.

You're looking for a screen like this:

Old 06-05-2011, 09:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Just stopped working? Was it making any odd noises before it stopped working? Might be dead by your description especially since you tried it in two different computers.

There is only two home brew methods I'm aware of as a last resort to getting a drive to spin up that is physically malfunctioning. The first method involves placing the drive inside a plastic bag and then freeze it for about 12 hours. Prepare yourself ahead of time for what you're going to do becsue time is crucial. Take it out of the freezer and immediately connect it to the computer, it may spin up. If it does spin up recover what you can, if you don't get all the data repeat.

The second method requires an identical functioning drive, you would take the platters out of the dead one and put them into the functioning one. There are instructions that can be found for doing this. Never did it myself but came across a few articles describing it.

There is also companies that specialize in recovering data from dead drives even if they have been physically damaged like water or fire damage but they charge a lot of money. They will do something similar to the second method I described.

------edit------

You can avoid anything being caused by windows by downloading Knoppix and see if it shows up there.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,299,067 times
I had the same thing happen to me, and it turned out the ext hard drive was toast. They were not able to save any of the data.
That is when I decided to start using Carbonite as a back up. There are several "in the clouds" back up systems around. I just happened to use Carbonite.
External hard drives can fail at any time.
Flash drives can fail at any time.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,932 times
I've yet to run across a failed flash drive......not to say it doesn't happen but they're obviously far more durable than a disk based hard drive.

(good luck finding a 1tb flash drive for cheap though hehe)

Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 AM

16,672 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I've yet to run across a failed flash drive......not to say it doesn't happen but they're obviously far more durable than a disk based hard drive.

(good luck finding a 1tb flash drive for cheap though hehe)
I've had 3 flash drives fail in the past 10 years. Basically, machinery breaks down. If your data is important, make a backup. Then make another, preferably a different kind. Take one of them somewhere else. Make another backup. Repeat.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:35 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,299,067 times
I've had flash drives fail, a bunch of SD cards, some CF cards, and an external hard drive. I've also had c/d's fail (made a b/u, checked it, then put it away. When I went to get data from it, it was unreadable.)

I have learned to not trust any media as a "always will work, will never fail".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers