U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:41 AM

28,631 posts, read 40,609,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
My conception of iCloud is it is essentially safe storage for critical data that can be accessed by up to 10 devices at any time. My personal feeling about "cloud" storage is simple. if I have critical info on my machine then I want an external hard drive I can control to back it up. I am not going to trust it to iCloud or any other computer array unless I really don't care.
My feelings, word for word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM

8,955 posts, read 17,976,196 times
More news on this topic.............

Apple, Google cloud can help curb online piracy: U.S. | Reuters

Old 06-08-2011, 12:25 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,892,881 times
eh, you can already do most of this, they are just making it official and bringing the iOS stuff over to OSX and offering the "cloud service". I do the same exact thing but I use my own local external LaCie hard drives, which are always connected to the internet, as well as servers on rackspace. Though I still prefer full scale servers, as opposed to cloud servers with virtual memory sharing and virtualized operating systems .
Three things made this possible, and it is certainly not just apple... high bandwidth, virtualization software and cheap storage.
That was one of the main reasons I switched over to Mac for everything when the Iphone came out. I now have a very small portable device I can do almost everything from (web/ftp/ssh/pics/cam/skype/facetime/twitter/facebook/docs and all the other apps), and then a desktop, got rid of my laptop (became pretty useless) I now consider having the iphone more important than actually owning a computer or laptop.
I save an incredible amount of time doing it this way. This has been a very popular way of doing things since about 2007 among IT biz geeks using services like zoho, google docs, basecamp etc...
Apple is just offering it to the masses in a neat little package. In a perfect world I'd use linux for everything but apple does offer sleek gadgets/interface and I can still use bash for most terminal stuff. I think a lot of other linux devs have switched over to mac for the "suite" iphone/ipod touch/ipad/mac combo and still have unix backend. I still use a non GUI redhat as my powerhouse server though, apple just can not compete pricewise or stability wise still in that market.
So, sure, I think the way people use "computers" are changing, but it is certainly not just apple who is doing it, everybody is doing it, and people in IT have been doing it this way for about 4-5 years...you are late to the party.

Last edited by grapico; 06-08-2011 at 12:41 PM..

Old 06-08-2011, 01:24 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,186,430 times
Like you said, Tech people have been doing this for years.
The difference is that the new service will be more user/consumer friendly.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:53 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,058,977 times
Quote:
It is an interesting concept. Jobs is out of touch with reality if he believes every Mac user lives in California and has a FTTH connection at home.

The reality of old dial up*connections and the "just pretend you have blazing fast broadband when know you really don't" bottom-feeder BB speeds in rural America will tie up a computer for hours if not days trying to download Lion. Apple needs to provide an alternative for the rest of us.
I'd be so totally rich if I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say that Steve Jobs is "out of touch with reality". Yet everything he touches turns to gold.

I live in CA right in middle of the Silicon Valley, and I don't know anyone who has FTTH. I believe the only such systems being built here are in new housing developments, and I have not heard of any planes to bring FTTH to the masses. We've got the same AT&T DSL and Comcast broadband crap that the rest of the country has.

As for you, if you are in the 3% of the population that still uses dial-up, then you are not in Apple's target market.

Personally I was a little surprised to hear that OS X Lion would only be available as a download. But I am 100% confident that if Apple made that decision. They have done the research and determined that a sufficient percentage of their customers have the bandwidth to make to make that a viable distribution method for releasing Lion. Just sayin.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 AM

14,781 posts, read 36,585,985 times
One thing I wasn't clear about was how photos are handled. It seems that photos that are taken are added to a photo stream for a period of time, but aren't actually stored in iCloud, same goes for everything else, it's a synching service more than it is a storage service. Yes, you have have 5GB of space you can use, but I think you actually have to designate what gets backed up. The intention seems to be for the data to still be contained on devices hard drives, not in the "cloud".

So, music rests in Apples catalog and music you own is synched across devices. If you own a track Apple doesn't have, that gets uploaded and stored for you to have access to.

Photos and videos get placed in a stream that then synchs to all your devices, but these are not stored long term (apparently only 30 days) unless you choose to have them backed up to the cloud from a device.

E-mail, contacts, etc. are all synched and stored in the cloud.

I personally like the service and it's definitely ahead of it's competitors, but not as much as it might seem. There just seems to be some subtlety's to it that changed my impression a little. It's basically a synch service (which is great), but when it comes to storage it isn't any different than any other cloud storage service.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:10 PM

3,743 posts, read 11,466,059 times
All photos are permanently stored on a computer, the cloud will hold unmanaged photos for 30 days, and other devices up to 1,000 images, in a "stream of consciousness" model. If you move photos into an album on the cloud, they reside there forever if desired.

It is basically automating the synchronization needed among the many devices people use these days. Where this has resided in the domains of the few experts before, its now coming to the masses.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:14 PM

3,743 posts, read 11,466,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Personally I was a little surprised to hear that OS X Lion would only be available as a download. But I am 100% confident that if Apple made that decision. They have done the research and determined that a sufficient percentage of their customers have the bandwidth to make to make that a viable distribution method for releasing Lion. Just sayin.
Sony has been using the OTA download model for its PS3 for something like four years now? All new software and system updates are managed remotely and pushed out as needed.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:05 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,436,158 times
Quote:
My conception of iCloud is it is essentially safe storage for critical data that can be accessed by up to 10 devices at any time. My personal feeling about "cloud" storage is simple. if I have critical info on my machine then I want an external hard drive I can control to back it up. I am not going to trust it to iCloud or any other computer array unless I really don't care.
Same here, I don't particularly care for my data being out of my control.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:36 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,976,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Same here, I don't particularly care for my data being out of my control.
This is a point that many who buy into icloud will ignore when they buy the hype!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or