U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:08 PM

3,743 posts, read 11,462,773 times

Advertisements

This looks to be a fundamental change in how we will use computers and related devices. Its all pretty amazing stuff imo that takes what we've seen so far with stuff like Google cloud apps and docs to a new level. More interesting is the way apps and files are localized on devices but cloud is used to synch multiple devices with those localized apps and files.

With iCloud, all your devices will have the capability to synch across each other, courtesy of the cloud, without you having to do anything. Docs you create in one place will appear on other devices in the exact same state. iCloud doesn't just store stuff for fetching but also pushes it to the individual devices so its accessible immediately and offline at a later date.

I also like the idea behind iCloud and photos - you can set it up so that when you take a photo, its automatically sent to the cloud and then to all your other devices.

With 10.7 and iOS5, you don't need to save anything anymore - Apple basically implemented Time Machine as Versions so you get unlimited version backups plus no more save prompts - its all already saved.

Apps you purchase on any one device will be available on the other devices.

Even with the potential drawbacks with cloud computing, this is a pretty remarkable system for end users that will really effect how they interact with their devices.

Has anyone else been reading up on all this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 12:37 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,969,524 times
"Has anyone else been reading up on all this?"

I've been following this closely due to Apples habit of leading the way to a new business model for computing in general.

I see a most of the physical equipment needed to do computing being reduced to a tablet and cloud storage/control of everything else.

That said , I also see a monthly fee , just like cable TV, to be able to use your computer.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:45 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,055,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
That said , I also see a monthly fee , just like cable TV, to be able to use your computer.
Most iCloud functionality will be free. The fee ($24.99/year) is for iTunes Match, which syncs your existing music library (not purchased through iTunes) with files on the iCloud server. It’s only necessary if you have a large collection of CDs that you want duplicated on all of your devices. If you bought a track through iTunes, it will sync automatically for free. All of your Contacts, Mail, documents and photos sync for free as well. Very cool.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 06-07-2011 at 01:53 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 02:46 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,181,712 times
...and 25 a year is pretty damn cheap. Way cool.

Apple is taking the same course with cloud computing as they did with the mp3 player (ipod).

They didn't invent them, but they will make it a lot easier for the most of a mass audience to use.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
One important thing I've keyed on is that Apple is letting all the content reside on your computer or device whilst synching it automatically across them.

Rather than setting up your personal experience as a service, the general idea is its still all yours, but there are definitely service aspects that could come of it, but thats the case with all cloud solutions right now. Its all being done for free with the new systems and iCloud which is pretty cool imo.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:14 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,969,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
One important thing I've keyed on is that Apple is letting all the content reside on your computer or device whilst synching it automatically across them.

Rather than setting up your personal experience as a service, the general idea is its still all yours, but there are definitely service aspects that could come of it, but thats the case with all cloud solutions right now. Its all being done for free with the new systems and iCloud which is pretty cool imo.
Won't the temptation to link all the icloud computers prove to tempting to build a monster computer??

Old 06-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Since I have three different job sites, with different computer, plus my freelance business, I can see a lot of advantages.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:54 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,791,254 times
I know this may be a very dumb question, but I would assume that ICloud only works with Apple Devices? If you have say three main non Apple computers, and an IPod Touch, as I do, does it work with the non Apple Computers from one to another or only with one computer to your Apple Device?

Old 06-07-2011, 05:16 PM

probably a closed, integrated system.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I know this may be a very dumb question, but I would assume that ICloud only works with Apple Devices? If you have say three main non Apple computers, and an IPod Touch, as I do, does it work with the non Apple Computers from one to another or only with one computer to your Apple Device?
Certain aspects work with Windows - the whole idea is to make the computer "just another device". I haven't checked all the details but some stuff was expressly stated as working with Windows.

This an Apple solution though, so I wouldn't expect full integration with non Apple products. Apple did state it works for up to ten devices though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or