U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:37 PM

696 posts, read 1,518,243 times

Advertisements

Just had a desktop with AntivirusSuite (fake AV) that was running
Microsoft Essentials, Malwarebites and Spybot S&D brought to me.

I used Avast and ComboFix to fix it. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,330,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe_T3K View Post

What's your point?

Old 06-09-2011, 11:42 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,090,722 times
Malwarebytes - Easily the best piece of software on here hands down.
Superantispyware - Meh.
TDSSKiller - Great for finding rootkits. Works mostly on TDSS infections of the MBR.
Avira AV - I've seen some pretty good luck with in when it comes into our shop. People get infected, and then don't run their antivirus. I'll restart their computer and Avira has already taken care of the infection on restart, so.
AVG - I used the program for years, never got infected, but I also have other tools. I'm not thrilled with AVG anymore because it catches too many false positives.
PCTools Threatfire - Firewall, used it a couple years ago, was happy with it.

Paid:
Kaspersky IS - The only paid software I'd trust installing on someones computer. It can get buggy sometimes, but I've seen this program stop trojans and rogue A\Vs that get past every other real-time scanner--which isn't saying much. I've seen it get past Norton 360, McAfee Suite, Bitdefender Total Security, AVG, etc. But not Kaspersky.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:58 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Quote:

Means nothing, there isn't an AV app on the planet that will protect against every threat. I see nothing funny about combofix fixing it, that's what it's designed to do

Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 AM

11,707 posts, read 11,299,552 times
Every time I've seen the FakeAV infections, I've gotten them off with Malwarebytes. Sometimes I had to run it multiple times or run in Safe Mode, but it always cleaned them off. Somewhere up there, I saw a mention of the Total Security infection. When I looked it up, Spyware Doctor was the recommended way to remove the problem.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What's your point?

What is your point of asking "What's your point?"

Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Quote:
His point was your comment isn't really relevant to the thread. Many things go on when a PC is infected by malware that is too new to be in it's signature database, not the least of which is the disabling of the installed AV apps ability to update itself, thus not able to detect the infection. It's no big surprise another AV app with more current signatures is able to clean it.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:24 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,645,472 times
Quote:
I don't understand, what's the point of asking what's your point to the question what's your point?

I thought what's the point was a game on the Internet:

Funbrain.com - What's the Point?

Lighten up dudes.......

Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
His point was your comment isn't really relevant to the thread. Many things go on when a PC is infected by malware that is too new to be in it's signature database, not the least of which is the disabling of the installed AV apps ability to update itself, thus not able to detect the infection. It's no big surprise another AV app with more current signatures is able to clean it.
It was relevant since the OP was running Microsoft Essentials and Malwarebites and wanted other options.
Not only did I provide other options, I said that they fixed what the others didn't.
Of course up to date definitions could play a part but in this case they were all up to date.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:31 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,396,797 times
Quote:

How can one decipher if one has Antivirus Suite (fake AV) on ones pc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or