U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 04:40 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,327,120 times

Advertisements

After I upgraded my latest computer to 16gb memory it had issues booting up. So I flashed it with the latest Bios and it still had problems, locking into error code 45 which is memory initialization [it gets stuck here]. I have to keep on pressing reset to get past this, then it will boot.

But after my new bios flash my wifi card driver went bad and I had to uninstall / reinstall it to get it to work. But my worst problem is that my floppy drive disappeared. I researched on Google and found some help, -> should disable "Hide these specified drives in My Computer" in the gpedit.msc program. See the pics. But I still don't get my A: -> floppy drive in Windows Explorer. I try A:/ and that doesn't work either. I check my Device Manager and it says the Floppy Driver works. I check my Bios and Floppy is enabled. When I boot from floppy it worked, saying my floppy disk is not a boot disk. When I initially got the floppy drive it worked and I formatted a floppy.

Anyone know the solution to my floppy problem? Why would the floppy drive be bad when it works on a boot menu, but not in Windows 7 Prof?

Also, my Windows Explorer shows a BD-Rom Q: and a CD Drive V: which both don't really exist on my computer. I only have a D: BD-RE Drive. How do I get rid of the two bad drives?

I disconnected my floppy and booted into the OS and determined my floppy was not misrecognized as drive Q: or V:

I also went into a 2nd OS install and the floppy was still not recognized.

Should I just exchange the floppy drive at TigerDirect?
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with Drives & Floppy Windows 7 Explorer-bad-drives-menu.jpg   Problem with Drives & Floppy Windows 7 Explorer-floppy-settings.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 04:57 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,841,532 times
Here is a riddle: Who in year 2011 has Windows 7 and still cares about using the floppy drive?

Is this like having a 2011 model Harley Davidson and wondering if a kick start can be used?

All joking aside, if you are 100% positive it is not due to a BIOS issue or a hardware problem, then check this value in the registry to see if it resolves the issue for you:

1. Start
2. Run
3. Type regedit
4. OK
5. See screenshot below for details.

Note:
Another and safer way to check if the above is the cause would be to log on to Windows with another user account.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:19 PM

I tried 2 in Hex and Decimal and it still didn't work. See the pic of how it's in my system. NO A: floppy drive still.

This web page gives suggested values. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1-f15ea6d25500

gpedit correctly changes the value of that DWord so that the floppy should appear. Maybe I should exchange my floppy but I think it works when it shows up in the boot menu and will do a boot disk check.
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with Drives & Floppy Windows 7 Explorer-floppy-settings-2.jpg  

Last edited by Jesse69; 06-11-2011 at 06:48 PM..

Old 06-11-2011, 09:32 PM

OK, I finally got my Floppy Drive back! I reflashed the Bios, making sure no other stuff was running. I als did an optional Windows update for reliability and performance enhancements. After resetting my Bios and booting back in my floppy appeared!

The working Regedit Dword value is 0.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:16 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,841,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
OK, I finally got my Floppy Drive back! I reflashed the Bios, making sure no other stuff was running. I als did an optional Windows update for reliability and performance enhancements. After resetting my Bios and booting back in my floppy appeared!

The working Regedit Dword value is 0.
That value is also fine, you can even delete it but leave it as zero if everything else is working OK. I normally disable it using the same trick so I do not see the A drive in My Computer or Explorer as I never use it.

Do you really still use the floppy drive?

I am not sure if it was the BIOS update/re-flash that did it or the Windows compatibility update but I tend to lean toward the latter as the fix.

Anyhow good job!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:58 AM

I have old floppies from my college days that I might look at to see my college projects. And I sold my 9 year old AMD computer which had a floppy so I needed to use a floppy for the new computer to replace the old computer. Plus a floppy would have been useful for Memtest86+ which can fit on it instead of burning a cd. But I'd rather use a usb stick than a floppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers