U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 12:17 AM

7,121 posts, read 12,743,690 times

Advertisements

I bought a new HP Computer last week. It was fine the first week and now all of a sudden Im getting this. A red square appears that reads Browswer expired and that I must update. The last computer gave me the same warning and when I hit update it said I was infected with viruses. The computer literally stopped functioning so I bought the new one. I found if I shut this new one down and start over the box goes away and I can sign into the Net. I had the Kapersky virus installed when I bought this computer. The report says no viruses detected when I run the scan. Should I be worried about this or is it a harmless popup? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 01:01 AM

28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Download and run

Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download

Click the silver Download button

Old 06-12-2011, 09:12 AM

10,754 posts, read 18,012,225 times
Browsers don't actually expire, basically you have fallen for a scam and infected yourself with malware, twice. Start with Tek's advice and keep us posted.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:42 AM

Thanks both of you. Just these questions before I do this. The Kapersky antivirus I had installed is showing there are no viruses detected on the system. So I'm not sure what that means. When I pulled up the website Tek mentioned one button wants $24.95 so that is the wrong button is that right?

Thanks. Im not all that great on the technical part of computers when it gets into this stuff.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,345,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Thanks both of you. Just these questions before I do this. The Kapersky antivirus I had installed is showing there are no viruses detected on the system. So I'm not sure what that means. When I pulled up the website Tek mentioned one button wants $24.95 so that is the wrong button is that right?

Thanks. Im not all that great on the technical part of computers when it gets into this stuff.
All it means is that there's nothing on your system that Kaspersky can identify as malicious.

On the Malwarebytes web site, just click the white "download now" button. It will link you to one of their download partners. Make sure you're downloading a file called mbam-setup. Don't follow any other stupid "free system scan now!" type links. Those are just ads for other programs.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:38 AM

Update. I did run the recommended program. It seemed great and then a sign came up telling me 100 errors have been fixed but there are more errors to be fixed and I have to pay to fix the rest of them. I don't know enough about this sort of thing, and can't expect myself to keep handing over money to these internet requests.

This Computer is going back to Best Buy today. All this money for Kapersky to be installed then it should have detected this problem to begin with. Thanks though for the help.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:43 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,345,192 times
I've never had Malwrebytes ask for money to fix a problem it detected. That sounds like the scam software, not Malwarebytes.

You can't rely on any antivirus program to 100% protect you from the things YOU click on.

Don't take your computer to Best Buy unless you want to come out hundreds of dollars poorer and possibly still infected. Find a local shop who will most likely fix it quickly and cheaply. In the future, don't use Internet Explorer and don't click on everything that pops up.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:49 AM

10,754 posts, read 18,012,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Update. I did run the recommended program. It seemed great and then a sign came up telling me 100 errors have been fixed but there are more errors to be fixed and I have to pay to fix the rest of them. I don't know enough about this sort of thing, and can't expect myself to keep handing over money to these internet requests.

This Computer is going back to Best Buy today. All this money for Kapersky to be installed then it should have detected this problem to begin with. Thanks though for the help.
There is no antivirus app that offers 100% protection, something will get by what ever you use eventually. Most of the blame for malware infections can be tracked to the user, not the AV app.

Malwarebytes will not ask you to pay to fix errors, what ever was asking you to do that wasn't Malwarebytes.

Best Buy is the LAST place you want working on your computer.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:51 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,270,527 times
I hope you mean going back for a complete refund, not for them to fix, for as EC said, they won't because they can't 'sell' you additional services, and of course it will be your fault.

Other questions, which browser IE? That contributes to your vulnerability. Which OS, are automatic updates enabled, and are you behind a NAT firewall (router)? Is the account you use routinely and administrator account or a standard user?

Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 AM

28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
This is the MalwareBytes icon.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers