Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 09:46 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,527,526 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market for a 23" flat panel monitor for my desktop. I am upgrading from a 17" flat panel. I noticed online that many flat panel nowdays can't be raised and their stand is pretty short. I guess i would have to put my flat panel on yellow page book or something to raise it if need be. Are they like that nowdays? Any brands that you have purchased and recommend? I am looking for one under $200. Thanks.

Last edited by JL; 06-13-2011 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 05:13 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,660,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I'm in the market for a 23" flat panel monitor for my desktop. I am upgrading from a 17" flat panel. I noticed online that many flat panel nowdays can't be raised and their stand is pretty short. I guess i would have to put my flat panel on yellow page book or something to raise it if need be. Are they like that nowdays? Any brands that you have purchased and recommend? I am looking for one under $200. Thanks.
I've noticed the same thing with the stands. I have two older ViewSonic monitors that had really nice adjustable stands, but everything I've bought in the last 4 or 5 years has had fixed stands.

As for brands. I currently have ViewSonic, Samsung, and Asus monitors in the house and have been happy with all of them. I have several family members that have ViewSonic and have not had any problems with them.

I have had experience with HansG, and LG, and both were junk monitors that had nothing but problems. It has been a few years so things may have changed with those brands.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:08 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Both ours are NEC and we've had no problems over the course of a few years.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
I have mostly Dell Refurbs, and have been happy with them.
They have a 23" @ $159 that gets 4.5 of 5 stars.

And in addition...............
If you are not pressed for immediate gratification... Find a coupon on TechBargains, or at DellOutlet on Twitter, and save another 10%--15%.

If it is in good operating condition and you have space and a video card that will support two monitors, keep the old monitor, and get a dual monitor stand with articulating arms and height adjustment.
I have two of these and think they are excellent for the price, particularly at $43.95.
My email is up on one all the time, as I work on the other. And the ability to move a window to the email monitor for copy/paste or other reference is pretty helpful. And I love only having the mounting post on my desktop. No stands.

Dual Monitor Stand from the Rear (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikejaquish/4856343743/ - broken link) by mikejaquish (http://www.flickr.com/people/mikejaquish/ - broken link), on Flickr

The Dell monitor and the Tyke Supply stand will press your $200 budget pretty hard, but if you can get free shipping and a Dell Coupon, you may have enough left over for a cold one.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:42 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,660,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have mostly Dell Refurbs, and have been happy with them.
They have a 23" @ $159 that gets 4.5 of 5 stars.

And in addition...............
If you are not pressed for immediate gratification... Find a coupon on TechBargains, or at DellOutlet on Twitter, and save another 10%--15%.

If it is in good operating condition and you have space and a video card that will support two monitors, keep the old monitor, and get a dual monitor stand with articulating arms and height adjustment.
I have two of these and think they are excellent for the price, particularly at $43.95.
My email is up on one all the time, as I work on the other. And the ability to move a window to the email monitor for copy/paste or other reference is pretty helpful. And I love only having the mounting post on my desktop. No stands.

Dual Monitor Stand from the Rear (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikejaquish/4856343743/ - broken link) by mikejaquish (http://www.flickr.com/people/mikejaquish/ - broken link), on Flickr

The Dell monitor and the Tyke Supply stand will press your $200 budget pretty hard, but if you can get free shipping and a Dell Coupon, you may have enough left over for a cold one.
That's a good price on the arms, I paid about $100 each for my Ergotron arms. Unfortunately they are out of stock on that one.

The only thing to watch with the arms is that the monitors you are buying have VESA mounting holes. I have a Samsung T220 that has a proprietary mount and won't go onto the arms. I knew this when I bought it so it doesn't bother me, but there were a lot of complaints about it in the Newegg reviews.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:43 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,035 times
I recommend this monitor, as mine only uses 16 Watts! Newegg.com - ASUS VE247H Black 23.6" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 300 cd/m2 10,000,000:1 (ASCR)

The angle of the screen is adjustable. Plus it's a 2ms monitor.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
I buy monitors based on features and price, not Brand Name. If you can use twin monitors, that is really cool. I really like mine.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:35 PM

696 posts, read 1,725,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I recommend this monitor, as mine only uses 16 Watts! Newegg.com - ASUS VE247H Black 23.6" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 300 cd/m2 10,000,000:1 (ASCR)

The angle of the screen is adjustable. Plus it's a 2ms monitor.

< 35 W, Power Saving Mode < 1 W

Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,602,543 times
I bought a NeoFlex stand for my monitor and it works great. It even allows you to rotate the screen which comes in handy for reading comic books...errr...documents.

Amazon.com: Neoflex LCD Stand, Black: Office Products
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers