Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,157,064 times

Advertisements

Thought this would be of interest in the Linux camp....

Quote:
The new Unity interface is broken down into its individual elements and explained ad nauseam. Overall the article is objectively balanced, the author does a good job of pointing out specific design flaws and shortcomings instead of complaining about how Unity doesn't work for him specifically. The walkthrough of the uTouch gesture language is exciting (wish I had multi-touch), though a full listing of keyboard and mouse shortcuts come in handy, too. Towards the end of the article there are benchmarks between Lucid, Natty with Unity, and Natty with the Classic interface. The performance of the Unity interface isn't bad at all, but that kernel power issue does rear its ugly head."

Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal), RevUbuntu 11.04iewed In Depth : Introduction

Rightnow my XP system is tied up with me playing Red Alert and am thinking of trashing it and set it up dual booted for win7 and Ubuntu 11.04.
I've had bad luck trying to play Red Alert and the other games in the series using Wine on Ubuntu..

And would like to ask the posters here to tell me if it's gonna be worthwhile and the time invested in getting it operational.

Thanks in advance for any help, or tips set up guides for Wine.

I'd really appreciate any tips tricks on setting up those games in Ubuntu.

Has anyone playing Red Alert on a Macbook Pro? I'd like help in that area too

~thanks for any assistance, ~plwhit

Last edited by plwhit; 06-12-2011 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 PM

29 posts, read 82,510 times
Smile Ubuntu 11.04

I have had dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu 11.04 installed for a month.

The Ubuntu seems trouble free and easy to work with even for a beginner like me.

I don't play games, so I can't help you there.

If you don't know about EasyBCD 2.0 to help you dual boot, it is GREAT!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:52 AM

494 posts, read 1,607,609 times
Not sure what to think about it yet.

Right now I'm still running 9.10 (ancient I know), but I think I may just upgrade to LTS. That review made me kinda hesitant to go unity as I'm currently running my unbuntu in a virtual machine, and I don't really need the extra bloat of 11.04.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers