U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 PM

79 posts, read 229,908 times

Advertisements

E Machines computer.

These el cheapo PCs are available at Best Buy and many other classy computer outfits. They turn on but after that who knows.

Really, get someone to build one instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 08:10 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,666,493 times
Yeah EMachines are not good. I wouldn't recommend HP if you plan on using it a lot. It's not a very good workhouse puter IMO.

I also agree with having a PC built rather than buying one. You end up paying more but it's worth it IMO.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:04 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,279,158 times
We use both eMachine, HP and our own house built PC's - we have not had a single issue with eMachine and HP and we run huge graphics on both.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 PM

791 posts, read 2,031,967 times
I got an eMch w/AMD in March '03. I've given it more problems than it has given me. I use ZoneLabs and recently added their virus protect. Never had a virus, just not paying much attention these days. And Ad_Aware. And I don't allow any M$ upgrades, still on the basic install.

I've done tech support by phone for both dsl connect and warranty support. The problems I've seen most have been HP or Compaq, mostly laptops. The biggest problem I've seen with eMch's is the power supply going out. I have replaced the fan in the power supply on mine, but no other issues other than dust in the box.

I really think the biggest problem with any computer really does exist between the chair and the keyboard.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 PM

7,562 posts, read 16,558,722 times
I work on PC's, and though there are issues with eMachines, there are none more compared to Dell or Toshiba that I work on. Theyre good quality machines, at the end of the day, they parts all probably come out of the same sweat shop in Asia anyway. The thing to watch for on eMachines is refurbished units. 80% of the units I find online are refurbished, and have had problems, hence why they warranty is shorter.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:34 PM

5,598 posts, read 17,516,619 times
Correct me please if my information is faulty... but isn't eMachines now owned by Gateway? And from what a friend told me, a lot of Gateway and eMachines models are exactly the same?! Also, many models use the exact same parts. Is this true?

I've also heard that ever since being acquired by Gateway, eMachines reputation and reliability has improved significantly. Again, true?

--'rocco

Old 08-10-2007, 04:25 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,405,209 times
Quote:
And I don't allow any M$ upgrades, still on the basic install.
You really DO need to allow the updates. Liz

Old 08-10-2007, 06:01 PM

52,155 posts, read 30,219,816 times
I know people who owned E-Machines and they've had problems with them, one of them was in fact a power supply going out, which damaged both the onboard sound and video devices. This was a year ago and my friend didn't want to spend any money on a new computer (it was only 2 years old at the time), so I fixed it for him by buying a very good quality power supply from Fry's Electronics. I also bought good quality PCI video and sound cards. The motherboard did not have an AGP video slot, and it only had 2 PCI slots, which are both occupied now, so I hope his onboard ethernet device doesn't go bad.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:34 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,128,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Correct me please if my information is faulty... but isn't eMachines now owned by Gateway? And from what a friend told me, a lot of Gateway and eMachines models are exactly the same?! Also, many models use the exact same parts. Is this true?

I've also heard that ever since being acquired by Gateway, eMachines reputation and reliability has improved significantly. Again, true?

--'rocco
I disagree, E machines was purchased by Gateway and their reputation went up. But since that buyout, Gateway has also been purchased by Walmart. Since Walmart now owns both, quality and reputation have gone downhill. Just ask my $2,200 Gateway that is not even a year and a half old, has its 4th motherboard and if it gets turned off, it isn't coming back on. Thank you Walmart corp. for all the quality you put into everything you do

Old 08-11-2007, 11:43 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
You really DO need to allow the updates. Liz
It depends. For example, my wife's Win2k box blue screens when I try to install any of the Microsoft Service Packs beyond SP1 -- I think it's a driver issue, but the maker of that particular driver hasn't released updated in forever and the 3-4 versions I've tried all show the same symptoms.

Updates are good, at least most of the time, but make sure you make a backup before applying them. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or