U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 07:26 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,675,281 times

Advertisements

I got a nasty virus a few weeks ago so I reinstalled Xp and wrote over old XP. Since then I can't open PDF files, have no system sound (and have not found a button to make it work again)..........having trouble copy and pasting stuff like Youtube videos.

A friend of mine who likes linux and slax put those OS's on my computer as well which are not running,( some sort of glitch). What should i do, i want to get the slax and linux out of there and get my audio and stuff back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 AM

11,734 posts, read 11,311,179 times
The problem with sound is most likely because you need hardware drivers. The problem with PDF files is that you need a PDF reader (Adobe Reader is commonly used). My guess is that looking in the Device Manager will reveal other hardware that is not working correctly. Linux removal depends on how it was installed, but at this stage, you could reinstall Windows from scratch and how Windows delete all the hard disk partitions and create one big new one, and the Linux installs will definitely go away.

Actually, what you mention are not Windows components.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-15-2011 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: added thought

Old 06-15-2011, 08:34 AM

28,631 posts, read 40,609,166 times
With a friend like that who needs enemies?

mensaguy has it right. Let the Windows install get rid of all of it and start over. Make sure you delete those extra partitions so the hard drive is one large partition. Remember that you have to install drivers for your hardware if it is needed. Remember that you have to download some software (Like Adobe Reader) and install it. The reason you didn't have to when you bought the computer is that someone else had already done it for you.

If you get stuck post here and help will be given.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:48 PM

4,636 posts, read 5,505,356 times
^^^ What they said, and . . . try looking in 'device manager' to see what other drivers your pc may need:

Control panel > system > hardware [tab] > device manager.

Look for little yellow doohickeys [question marks?] next to the items listed... those'll tell you a driver is needed. It MAY be able to search for and find the driver on the net.

I experiment with my pcs and I routinely reinstall windows now and then... a few months ago I found a wonderful [free] tool that gathers together all your drivers and stores them away safely for a future windows reinstall : Double Driver - backup and restore installed drivers.

It might help next time you have this problem.

Last edited by Tantalust; 06-17-2011 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: I forget..

Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 PM

10,754 posts, read 18,010,478 times
What they said. Also, opening PDF documents is not a function of the Windows OS, you need to install a PDF reader such as Foxit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or