U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:27 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,583,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Or one of the many super cheap internet based fax services.
My dentist does this. Greatest thing since sliced bread according to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 04:36 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,330,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And it sounds like this fruit loop does that in a big way...

Yer nuts to keep putting up with this.
Yeah its hard to walk away when the money's green but I think I've finally reached my limit. Its not so much the computer problems themselves as her chaos, drama, "black cloud of bad luck, and 15 rambling emails on a weekend (of which I respond quickly to ONE) that I want to separate myself from.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
The idea has been suggested and rejected. She claims they're not secure for HIPPA purposes. I don't know for sure. Like most things, it was simply easier to not argue with her.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:33 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,258,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
OK I admit I did not read every post in this thread, but from what I can gather, there's a problem with the internal fax modem? I wouldn't even bother with an internal, get a USRobotics or Zoom USB or serial modem. So much easier.
And connect it to what? Serial ports have gone the way of the dodo.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:41 PM

Wow I just looked up US Robotics. They're still around after being spun off by 3Com according to Wikipedia. The last USR device I saw was some crappy 4 port router some buy bought at Fry's but it wouldn't stay connected more than 10 minutes. Somehow I thought maybe they'd gone the way of Plexor or Iomega. Its been literally over a decade since I gave 56k modems much thought.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:45 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,677,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The idea has been suggested and rejected. She claims they're not secure for HIPPA purposes. I don't know for sure. Like most things, it was simply easier to not argue with her.
I hear you. My mom has given me the same argument (law office, not medical, but same principal), and sticks with an ancient copy of WinFax Pro. Has to have the computer running all the time to receive faxes.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:47 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,677,644 times
Quote:
I've used a couple of them. The last one you had to log in and upload the files, but I don't fax much so it didn't matter.

Now I use RingCentral for my phone service, and they have an app that installs the fax as a printer (and full MS Office toolbar integration). It couldn't be easier.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I actually saw one on a brand new Dell Optiplex last week. Surprised the hell out of me.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:09 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,680,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Serial ports are still used very much in the business world. Could also get a 99cent USB-serial adapter on ebay.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:42 AM

28,607 posts, read 40,583,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If you to decide to tough it out send her a bunch of rambling, disjointed, HIPPA-related information from a few of these sites with the link to the pages. Perhaps she will understand that since she doesn't seem to understand plain English.

Google

From what I've read I gather she has an internal sound card, an external sound card, an internal modem, an external modem (or something) for faxing, doesn't have a clue what the graphic card is so she goes to the Internet looking for solutions to problems she thinks she has for the wrong card, takes advice from another tech (#1 no-no for me. Cause for immediate cease of support), screws around with interrupts and wonders why she has problems with them, spends hours on the Internet looking for trouble, and complains because she has to work so many hours.

Dump the internal modem and buy a multi-function printer that faxes and is network ready. Send faxes through it directly from the PC if that's what she's after. This assumes that she won't figure out that some Internet-based fax services are HIPPA compliant.

Dump the external sound card. From the semi-incoherent ramblings in her emails I gather that she figured out that interrupts were causing problems with the internal sound card volume (or she can't figure out what a volume control is). Reboot to get everything squared away and after it is working tell her that if she messes with the setup you won't be coming back.

I can't remember for sure. Was there another piece of hardware she doubled up? Ha ha - I mistyped doubled and when I right-clicked for suggestions the top choice was douched, which would have be apropos in that sentence.

Or just dump her...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or