Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
First, a little background: I've known this person for a few years and ....everything about her life seems be non-stop drama. She's also prone...
She don't have no broken computer.

"Escapee Poo, Can't you come over again tonight, my Write Only Memory (WOM) is full?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Dump the internal modem and buy a multi-function printer that faxes and is network ready. Send faxes through it directly from the PC if that's what she's after.
She already has a Dell network laser printer/fax. No idea why she isn't using it for faxing. You can lead a horse to water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Or just dump her...
I sent her a "since I can't fix it, find someone who can" email yesterday. I probably haven't heard the last of her though.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
She don't have no broken computer.

"Escapee Poo, Can't you come over again tonight, my Write Only Memory (WOM) is full?"

BARF. I feel dirty just being in the same room as her.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:02 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times

I am SO glad that I'm not in the computer biz anymore. I feel for you, EC.

Some of the customers of my new biz are kind of "green," but generally, they know what they're doing, and I'm very thankful for that - it makes working for/with them much easier. Even those that don't will typically listen to what I tell them without questioning the accuracy of my info.

As others suggested, I'd dump this customer like a wheelbarrow full of cow dung, unless she's paying you enough to compensate for the headaches (which would have to be a lot!).

Old 06-17-2011, 04:17 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,109,209 times
Ever hear the old tech-support story [urban legend?] about the defective mouse... absolutely nothing would fix it, weeks of phone support, even a whole new computer....

It turned out that the newbie customer was holding the mouse against the monitor screen?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Ever hear the old tech-support story [urban legend?] about the defective mouse... absolutely nothing would fix it, weeks of phone support, even a whole new computer....

It turned out that the newbie customer was holding the mouse against the monitor screen?
I once had a customer that was confused about how to send a page with his new fax modem. He asked if he should just hold the paper up to the screen (monitor). True story.

Another one couldn't get his new modem to work. After asking a series of questions, I realized that he didn't have the phone line plugged into it. When I told him that he'd have to connect it, he yelled at me for suggesting that he do something that would let people break into his computer...

Both of these happened around 1988-1989.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Another mouse story...

In the early eighties we were using AutoCAD and large tablets that we set up menus on. The center of the tablet was an area that corresponded to the monitor. This was where you moved the cursor.

I got a call from a new guy who was concerned that he couldn't gt his mouse to cover the entire screen. When I went to his workstation and asked him to show me the problem he moved the mouse across the tablet area where the screen was represented and showed me that it didn't cover the entire screen.

I told him to hold on to the mouse, reached out and put my hand over his, picked up the mouse, moved back in the opposite direction he had moved it, set it back down, then moved it the rest of the way across the screen.

As I left the room the remainder of the workers in the room were roaring with laughter.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Default Difference between men and women on computers.

I was installing networks in the DOS, UNIX and NetWare 2.x and 3.x era. (Windows did not exist yet).

Eventually we started installing or upgrading workstations to Windows 3.1, and as part of that installed a serial mouse.

The GUI and the mouse were completely new to almost every user. If the user was a man, you showed him the desktop, and how to move the mouse to move the pointer, and click on an icon. Training over, and they were back to work.

If it were a woman, you showed them the same thing, and asked them to try. There was not correlation at all in their minds between moving the mouse and the movements of the pointer on the screen. Explain carefully that moving the mouse left caused the pointer to move left, did not register. Same for moving right.

Then it really got difficult as to move 'up' they had to move the mouse away from their body, or closer to their body to move down.

Women's brains are wired different.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:27 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
First of all she bought too much computer for what she does. The fax modem software was most likely written for a 32 bit system and is now causing havoc with the system causing ghost problems. Is needs to come out and be replaced by a Brothers multifunction 5-in-1 (included software is simplist on the market to use). The extra memory should come out since some of the software loaded is not mapping correctly. The external sound card probably came with a equalizer program to clean up the spoken sound and is also causing an 32 bit vs 64 bit problem. She's been playing with the drivers so much that she has FUBAR'd it. The monitor she got is suitable for what she is doing. She needs clarity and not gaming frame speed. So the monitor should be replaced with a HP 2511x.

If its a name brand computer then there is little chance of being able to downgrade it to a 32 bit system. So first it needs to come back to day one new. She needs her AV and CCleaner equivalent to runs daily to be loaded. She needs transcript software that is 64 bit certified and should not be using her XP copy in compatibility mode. Most likely there is either no microphone or headphone jack of the front (which is probably the reason she bought the external sound card to gain the ports). She needs an extension from the back, with a splitter, so she have the ability to connect/disconnect the headphone jack to be able to switch from computer speakers to headphones and visversa.

If she's a heavy smoker and has cats, remove the side cover of the computer and replace it with a small piece of chicken wire and have her purchase a few cans of compressed air to blow out the vents and the fans every few months. Also make sure the computer is not sitting on the floor.

Everything should work from this point forward as long as stays away from driver updates and surfing for problems.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:32 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I was installing networks in the DOS, UNIX and NetWare 2.x and 3.x era. (Windows did not exist yet).

Eventually we started installing or upgrading workstations to Windows 3.1, and as part of that installed a serial mouse.

The GUI and the mouse were completely new to almost every user. If the user was a man, you showed him the desktop, and how to move the mouse to move the pointer, and click on an icon. Training over, and they were back to work.

If it were a woman, you showed them the same thing, and asked them to try. There was not correlation at all in their minds between moving the mouse and the movements of the pointer on the screen. Explain carefully that moving the mouse left caused the pointer to move left, did not register. Same for moving right.

Then it really got difficult as to move 'up' they had to move the mouse away from their body, or closer to their body to move down.

Women's brains are wired different.
Before all the ladies get in a huff I have to add:

One of my female clients was so afraid of breaking the computer that she was afraid to move the mouse even after I showed her it didn't break when I did. When I finally got her to use the mouse it was painful to watch.

Granted, things have changed...

Now you can get in a huff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers