U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:42 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,583,741 times

Advertisements

One of the clients I kept after I retired is a transcriptionist. You're (ex) client is full of it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I know other transcriptionists they they don't have the kinds of problems she does either. She tries to tell me that she uses her computer in ways no one else does and that's why only she has so many problems. Yet, she could never demonstrate these extraordinary use conditions. I don't consider having 5 apps and a dozen browser tabs open terribly taxing or unusual, especially for an i7 with 12GB of RAM.
I have to agree here. Other users don't use an internal modem with an external modem at the same time. And didn't she add a second sound card?

Then she wonders why her system is screwed up, and since she's never wrong, it's your fault.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:02 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
My boss luckilly has the same view on these types of customers as me and has no problem telling them to go elsewhere. Had a new client call last week looking for someone to come ou tnext day to help with a netork issue, we were the only one that would rearrange our schedule to accomodate them. Boss went out and did a site survey and a bit of work on their server to fix a constant 100% CPU usage issue. He couldn't find a cause, so me being the most knowledgeable in the malware area of the 2 of us, I changed my schedule the next day and remoted in and spent over 2 hours on their server (which was running some free antivirus app I've never heard of that was over a year out of date), I tracked down and RDP hack and a spamming app installed (luckilly they weren't actually using the Exchange part of the server they paid someone for). Got it all cleaned up, server running good, and we had an appointment to go out today for some work to tune up their workstations and recommend improvements.

We had to reschedule as this morning I had a client that lost their internet over the weekend and the boss had one that had their mail server crash after some Windows updates. This new client that we bent over backwards for started whining and complaining that we were blowing them off, apparently it's ok if we blow other people off for them but not vice versa, so he told them to find someone else. I kinda suspected when I first talked to the girl that they were gonna be one of those clients, luckilly it didn't last long

Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 PM

Good to have a boss that has his ducks in a row, and his client radar set to a low tolerance...

Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 AM

4,635 posts, read 5,502,141 times
OT, but the customer isn't always in the wrong.

Many (many) years ago I was installing a residential alarm system and I drilled down inside a wall toward the cellar and I hit a water pipe. Sprayed me right in the face.

I ran down to the cellar and closed the first faucet I saw, then I heard terrible yelling and cursing coming from way upstairs.

Spoiler
The elderly male customer was taking a shower. (I can't remember if it was the hot or cold water I shut off)

Old 07-09-2011, 09:56 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,664,736 times
Quote:
I had to pay a computer repairman $891
Definitly Geek Squad since they charge each service seperately.

Computers & Networking - Geek Squad

Old 07-11-2011, 12:32 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,392,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I have smoked around my computers for over 30 years and have NEVER had a problem that was attributed to cigarette smoke.

I have read those "studies" and IMHO they are blowing smoke

Granted I never keep a system for more than 3 years.....
I don't know what studies you are referring to, but I know from experience that smoke can definitely have an impact on the PC especially in the fan area. I've opened enough to know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Definitly Geek Squad since they charge each service seperately.

Computers & Networking - Geek Squad
Cripes, she could have bought a new laptop for less than 891.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:44 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,392,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
OT, but the customer isn't always in the wrong.

Many (many) years ago I was installing a residential alarm system and I drilled down inside a wall toward the cellar and I hit a water pipe. Sprayed me right in the face.

I ran down to the cellar and closed the first faucet I saw, then I heard terrible yelling and cursing coming from way upstairs.

Spoiler
The elderly male customer was taking a shower. (I can't remember if it was the hot or cold water I shut off)
As long as we are sharing stories for foul ups....

I had a customer with a bad hard drive and wanted to slave it to a desktop. To do so, I had to connect it using an IDE adapter. I failed to notice that I only connected the top row or pins to the adapter. So, when I turned on the desktop there was a spark and a flame jumped up from the board.

Fortunately, after I shut down the desktop I was still able to retrieve data from the drive. But there is nothing like being new and almost setting fire to the building to give you a scare.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
About a week after I started my first job at a computer shop I built a brand new computer for a customer, I had been building for years so I know it was assembled correctly. I turn it on and poof, nice cloud of smoke and burnt electronics smell. Boss comes running over yelling and hollering that I just cooked a bunch of parts. I told him if he could find something wrong with my assembly I'd pay him double what he paid for the parts, he didn't find a problem, but I do hate it when the magic electrons jump out of their parts.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:05 PM

11,707 posts, read 11,299,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
About a week after I started my first job at a computer shop I built a brand new computer for a customer, I had been building for years so I know it was assembled correctly. I turn it on and poof, nice cloud of smoke and burnt electronics smell. Boss comes running over yelling and hollering that I just cooked a bunch of parts. I told him if he could find something wrong with my assembly I'd pay him double what he paid for the parts, he didn't find a problem, but I do hate it when the magic electrons jump out of their parts.
You need to keep the smoke INSIDE if you want the equipment to work. Once the smoke gets out, nothing will ever work again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or