U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:09 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,332,431 times

Advertisements

First, a little background: I've known this person for a few years and she's always been a basket case. I don't know if its substance abuse or what but everything about her life seems be non-stop drama. She's also prone to gross exaggeration. She does medical transcription work from her apartment. She's always claimed to have the weirdest computer problems you can imagine, very few of which I can ever find any evidence of. This is the person who claimed the MS Disk Cleanup Wizard automatically removed MS Fax. When I asked her to show me, she proceeded to click her way into the Add/Remove Windows Components dialog and uncheck MS Fax.

She kills computers by cigarette smoke and cat hair and about a year ago her old XP machine was deathly slow, likely from a failing hard drive. She went to Micro Center and bought a new machine. Its a pretty nice unit: i7, 4GB of RAM, big hard drive, ATI video card, Windows 7 x64, wifi (which I disabled since its 2' from the router). It didn't come with a modem so she bought one and had me install it. Its your basic generic PCI fax modem, probably the only one they had at the store since there's not much market for them anymore.

Now of course she claims this machine has a million problems and she needs more RAM. OK, I don't feel like arguing. Just buy it and I'll install it. Now she has 12GB of RAM and claims its all leaking away. Most of the emails below relate to the fax modem. My guess is that the generic modem has crappy drivers that are causing issues but she insists on blaming everything else about the computer. She also refers to an "external sound card". I don't know. I guess she added a USB sound card at some point maybe.

I was last there on Friday. I installed the RAM and reconnected a laptop to the wifi. The Dell wifi applet wasn't working so I turned control over to Windows, it connected right up, and I could browse its C drive over the LAN. (she has the whole C drive shared). I also attempted to install Office 2010 trial by request but it failed and I explained that it could take a while to figure out so she said to forget it. (This will be referred to later)

Below are a string of emails I got over the weekend and earlier this week. Of course she can't put it all in one email, she has to send 4 emails inside of 20 minutes on a Sunday afternoon while I'm with my family. She also loves to Google search and cut & paste message board posts from 2002.

I've pretty much stopped caring at this point since I really dislike crazy, chaotic, dramatic people and I come away smelling like smoke every time I see her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 01:10 PM

Display---Even though I hit update on the driver, my system is stating version 8.850.00. My text is so small that I can barely see it. It did flash large briefly yesterday. It also says the system is using 1 GB for this...

In the systems properties tools, under conflicts it listed the above with the PCI fax modem. I went to the ATI website, and it states that they are now longer recommending this for Windows 7 64-bit as it causes undesirable effects, etc. In addition, it goes into detail conflicts with certain devices, such as PCI modems and IRQ sharing (which are listed in my conflicts report). Also what I read is what I told you-the port does not close completely, leaking memory.

On the problematic devices tab, it states my wireless LAN card is disabled.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Driver Catalyst 10.11 Windows Vista/Windows 7(all 64-bit) was presented for free download to install, add, update, setup ATI Technology Display and Video. please check your digital device manufacturer ATI Technology, device category Display and Video, device model Mobility Radeon HD 5450, operating system Windows Vista/Windows 7(all 64-bit), driver version 10.11 according to ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Driver Catalyst 10.11 Windows Vista/Windows 7(all 64-bit). There is also a hotfix for this after installation. After updating several times, it still shows I have the 8.5, and the text is very small compared to what I had briefly yesterday and what my other technician is telling me when he modems in for the call-in system. Something is leaking huge memory. No transcriptionist uses this much memory, not even me.

I am still experiencing huge memory issues despite not even transcribing yet. I have to resolve this or I will be fired. Think outside of the box with me, and whatever remote chance it will happen, it will happen to me. That is how I met you. Remember, 167 bolts of lightening only in this small area, hitting all of my hard drives when I went to the store, first time ever left.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:12 PM

When you have a moment, could you modem in and install the newest ATI driver, uninstall old one, disable Intel one, then install newest Acer P241W monitor for Windows 7 64-bit, and check for IRQ conflicts. I have 2 sound cards, one internal and an external, fax modem, etc. Lots of peripherals. Site suggests I switch from PCI to (just lost that, but another). Worth a shot. I did get performance score up from 4.5 to 6.5 on one graphics. Would that be possible? Still running extremely high memory, etc. with nothing on yet.

Download (Monitor I am using but do not see new OS on list). Monitor is pretty hot.

I have 2 to 3 items listed on the same IRQ port also. The fax andHD audio controller, then the fax, ATI AV streem, and the Intell 3400, and then another IRQ has HD audio and Intel.

info on card: Complex Configurations and IRQ

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series Graphics Driver Catalyst 10.11 Windows Vista/Windows 7(all 64-bit). Display Driver, ATI WDM Integrated Driver, Catalyst Control Center (English Language Only).
The AMD Catalyst software suite 10.11 contains the following:

AMD display driver version 8.791
HydraVision for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7
Southbridge/IXP Driver
AMD Catalyst Control Center version 8.791
The following performance improvements were observed with this release of AMD Catalyst 10.11:

Battleforge: Performance increases up to 3% on ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series single and CrossFire configurations with anti-aliasing disabled.
STALKER – Call of Pripyat benchmark: Performance increases up to 5% on ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series single and CrossFire configurations
This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 10.11 software suite for Windows 7. These include:

Running fullscreen DirectX 9 applications/games after enabling Aero effects and rebooting no longer causes the system to randomly stop responding
Primary display no longer blanks out intermittently during "World in Conflict: Soviet Assault" DirectX10 gameplay with CrossFire and Dual Monitor enabled
"Stone Giant" DirectX 11 demo no longer intermittently fails in fullscreen mode with CrossFire enabled under Multi-GPU configurations on some cards
Task switching out of "Battlefield: Bad Company 2" and then back into the game no longer causes CrossFire to become disabled
Enabling in-game Anti-Aliasing and utilizing Edge-Detect filters no longer causes smoother lines but blurry textures when compared to the Standard filter on some cards
Desktop line corruption is no longer observed after hotplugging the HDCP display on some cards
Enabling Overdrive through the Catalyst Control Center for single display systems no longer results in GPU clocks running at high levels in non-GPU intensive scenarios
Resolved Known Issues for the Windows Vista Operating System:

Running fullscreen DirectX 9 applications/games after enabling Aero effects and rebooting no longer causes the system to randomly stop responding
When "World of Warcraft" is launched via TriDef 3D and hardware cursor is enabled, the mouse cursor no longer intermittently flickers and disappears
Hot swapping a HDCP display panel with a non-HDCP display no longer causes the display to turn blank after resuming from sleep/hibernate during Blu-ray disc playback
Supported Products:

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2000 Series: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT.
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3000 Series: ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3850, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3850 X2, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 X2.
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4000 Series: ATI Mobility Radeon 4100, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4830, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4860, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870.
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5100 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5600 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5700 Series, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series.

System startup:

The operating system (Windows 95/98 or Windows NT) should be loaded with the graphics card installed on the motherboard. (AMD recommends using an AGP graphics card). Configuring your system with only the graphics card (normally AGP, but could be PCI), RAM, and the storage drives (FD, HD, ATAPI CD-ROM or DVD, will allow you the easiest startup with a lower possibility of system conflicts. (If you are using SCSI drives, the PCI SCSI card must be installed also.)

Note: If multiple non-essential cards (devices) are included in the initial load of the operating system in addition to the graphics card, the possibility of system conflicts are more likely.

After the basic system has been configured (and after you have successfully loaded your operating system) you should add each additional component one at a time in the order listed below. This will require that you properly install each card, configure the BIOS, and restart your computer each time you install a new card.

After the installation of each component into your computer, it is advised that you note the IRQ setting on the splash screen (this is the screen that shows up momentarily when you start your system). To freeze this screen so you can easily read it, press the Pause Break key (located at the top of your keyboard) as soon as you see the screen that lists IRQ usage. Note: it may take you more than one try to press the button at just the right moment. Or, you can inspect the IRQ settings found in your Windows 95/98 Control Panel under System, then Device Manager. Always record the IRQ settings and the devices to which they are assigned each time you install a new device or component that requires an IRQ address. This information can be utilized to help resolve a system conflict or crash as the result of an IRQ conflict.

After each successful installation of a component from this list, you will need to exit and shut down your system and unplug it before installing the next component.

Note: in case you are not planning to use one of the devices listed below, just skip to the next device in the sequence of installation. Generally, ISA based components are less flexible; therefore, if you must use any ISA based components, you may decide to install these first. The sequence below is only a suggested guideline to follow.

Loading Sequence for Additional cards:

First:
Internal Modem (PCI)

Second:
Sound Card (PCI or ISA)

Third:
Network Card, a.k.a. NIC (PCI or ISA)

Fourth:
DVD Devices requiring Dxr3 Decoder Board (PCI)

Note: Some video decoder boards require two (2) IRQs for complete functionality. Check with your video decoder card manufacturer for video decoder support and requirements.

Fifth:
SCSI Adapter (PCI) (This assumes that the system does not have a SCSI hard drive.)

Sixth:
Any others.

Special Notes:

External Modem: May be installed anytime after the operating system has been successfully installed. This includes regular v.90 modems as well as ISDN modems.

Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo I or Voodoo II Cards: Since these cards do not require an IRQ address, it is recommended that they be installed after the successful installation of your operating system. They do require a PCI slot.

Other 3rd Party Manufacturer Component Cards: Many other 3rd party manufacturer component cards may require an IRQ. Be sure to check with the manufacturer of your product to find out the exact installation requirements before you attempt to install it into your computer system. It is recommended that these component cards be installed after all of your other primary cards are installed if you have unused IRQ addresses available.

As you install the next device into your computer, you may experience a system conflict. You may be required to change the sequence of installation of the components being installed into your particular computer (i.e. which comes first, second, third, etc.).

IRQ Conflicts During Installation and Configuration:

It would be ideal to be able to have a system with an unlimited number of slots and IRQ addresses. Unfortunately, the way PC systems were designed many years ago causes limitations today.

When the basic design concepts of the PC architecture were defined, there was a specific number of slots allowed and a limited number of IRQs. With the limited number of IRQs available in today's systems, if you are using old-style cards that do not allow IRQ sharing, you may not be able to install all of the devices you that you desire using PCI-based components without experiencing a system conflict. You may consider using ISA-based components as well as an external modem to optimize the utilization of assigned IRQs for cards or components that require a dedicated IRQ.

You should carefully investigate and choose the types of devices that require a dedicated IRQ for your system. The more devices you want to install, the harder it will be to find an available IRQ that the device can use, or is capable of using. This becomes even more of a challenge for devices that require two IRQ addresses (specific sound cards, DVD devices, etc.).

Although the procedure listed above has worked in a testing lab environment, you may need to perform some experimenting to determine the best sequence and method of setting up your devices to for proper computer operation. Check the manufacturer's literature for each component used and list the IRQs with which each is compatible. List all of the IRQs and determine the path that allows the devices to use available IRQs. To install all of the devices you wish to use, you may have to exchange one of your devices for another type (i.e. change from a PCI sound card to an ISA sound card or vise versa) for proper configuration. Check with the manufacturer to determine if there is an upgraded version of the card. Sometimes a newer version or a different brand of the component may solve the problem. Systems cannot properly function if the number of cards and/or devices installed require more IRQs than are actually available within the computer.

What is an IRQ?

The easiest way to explain an IRQ is to think of it as an unique identifier. The IRQ process is similar to an auction. The CPU is the auctioneer and the peripherals are the bidders. Each bidder has a flag or paddle to get the auctioneer's attention. If more than one bidder has the same flag, there is chaos. Almost all primary components, such as graphics, sound, modem, etc., require at least one IRQ, regardless of whether they are cards or built onto the system boards. Many older devices require their own unique IRQ (their unique flag) with respect to all of the other devices. Newer cards can often share IRQs, but older cards usually cannot share with each other because they treat their IRQ as their own. When two of these older devices try to use the same IRQ, one or more of the devices will not function properly. This is called an IRQ conflict. Such conflicts can cause improper performance, system lock-ups and crashes.

Most newer components, however, can share an IRQ. Sharing an IRQ is the modern way to allow more cards to be added to a system. Note that some components (like video cards) cannot share IRQs. This is because the video card's IRQ is usually 10, 11, or 12. These are low priority and may get delayed (or lost) due to higher priority requests. This can cause undesirable visual effects. Cards that fully conform to the intent of the PCI Plug-n-Play standard allow IRQ sharing.

There are 16 IRQs (15 usable) in a computer system. Here is a typical assignment of these IRQs:

IRQ 0 System- System Timer
IRQ 1 System- Keyboard
IRQ 2 System- Cascadeable PIC (programmable interrupt controller), controls IRQ 8-15
IRQ 3 System- Serial Port (COM 2 and COM4)
IRQ 4 System - Serial Port (COM 1 and COM3)
IRQ 5 Available- General Adapter Use
IRQ 6 System- Diskette Controller
IRQ 7 System- Printer 1
IRQ 8 System- CMOS Real-time clock
IRQ 9 Available- General Adapter Use
IRQ 10 Available- General Adapter Use
IRQ 11 Available- General Adapter Use
IRQ 12 System- Mouse Port
IRQ 13 System- Math Co-processor (even though this is built into the CPU, it still uses an IRQ)
IRQ 14 System- Hard Disk Controller
IRQ 15 Available- General Adapter Use

As you can see, there are five (5) IRQs that are not assigned by the system design. Of these, one usually goes to the graphics card, one to the USB ports, and one to the modem. That leaves two (2) available IRQs for everything else. With care (and use of the proper cards), this is normally sufficient.

AMD makes no representations or warranties with respect to any information provided on this web document relating to the products of other companies, and expressly disclaims any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement or warranties from course of dealing or custom of trade with respect to such information. Furthermore, the inclusion of such information does not constitute an endorsement or certification by AMD of the product.

Please visit the System Build & Installation Page for available documents that will guide you with the configuration of a stable AMD Athlon MP platform.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:13 PM

not my week. Laptop was not on network again when starting up. The laptop wireless is not working correctly or staying connected, and I need my husband to find a real job. He was going to look for work tonight, but the wireless connection was not working.

Could it be the IRQs, as in too many? Massive problems started and Tamra is getting COMM errors (I know there are several reasons for these, resolved some) due to not enough IRQ ports or same ports? Back several months ago, I had to install an external sound card, as dictation system upgrade lowered my sound significantly. Should I disable the other HD? I have a lot of items using the ports and or trying to use IRQs, getting error messages or system interrupts, which could be the cause of large memory usage. This computer did not have internal modem when built but installed afterwards. Her inability to fax and the COMM errors I think started about then or she complained to me about 1 month later. I use a lot of items you do not or in the case of the modem not many others do Once it was another fax coming in, and then she could not fax after that. I have had that a few times. Fax port did not hang up. My computer issues really start after faxing.

Seems to be working better today except some large spikes but yesterday it was still bad. I have not faxed yet either though. Sorry I just need all problems solved. Can I still order some more memory, like upgrading those two 2 GB to 8 or 4 each? My clients have had it as far as computer problems.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Could there be a conflict with the PCI modem and the gosh darn card or NIVIDIA driver. Perhaps like what I read where port is not closing and leaking. Attached system properties. Also, lots of criticals listed in the kernnels and other drivers Remember, I have a modem, most have done away with this. Problems start especially after faxing

OK, I have never ever heard of a single transcriptionist using memory as I am. Not one. Not a full service even. Windows 7 sucks. I liked my XP folder system and the fact I could have 80 windows open, not 2 or 3.

I hope if I pay for full version, I can get Windows 2010 to load. I need features in it, like not having to close a document and can view it over network and send open...

Anyways, thank you. No more legacy software is loaded, just new.

My Reply: You have an ATI video card and an Intel motherboard chipset so how does nVidia relate? The modem's drivers could be faulty. Since the death of dial-up Internet, there's really no premium modem makers left that I'm aware of. They've all just become cheap junk from no-name companies.

I'm not surprised that removing Office 07 didn't help Office 2010 install. That's why I didn't remove it since I was afraid of leaving you without ANY word processor.

I used my flash drive on your computer yesterday and didn't have any issues.

Her Reply:

I know. I did make sure it was Windows 7 64-bit compliant.

The ATI driver is now 10. something. Whatever I sent you. Yet when I do a driver update, it only has 8.5. I think what I hit the other night was the real driver but did not install right. That is why I had large text, etc, for that time. I am on the highest settijng and yet I have small font, hard to see. Their documentation states it addresses the problems. Humor me if you can when you have time available. Driver update to 10.10 or whatever it is, the uninstall old driver, install the hotfix that goes with the upgrade, and then the monitor driver. If there is no upgrade for the monitor driver (I could not locate for this system, then I can switch to the brand-new one), and then whatever else I put in that email. Double-check the COMM port settings, deactivate what I am not using... Says it fixes issues I am having. What is there to lose besides my money. Better that than all of my clients. How much would that cost? You can do remote, right? I have not even got to watch TV. or record video yet, not enough memory before.. Should not take long to install driver from manufacturer website, etc.

I need sleep and my sanity. All work and no play... I am working 22 to 24 hours a day instead of the 6 it should take me. I did save out documentation of errors/conflicts and other info

After my work is done, I can check for possible modem problems/ not coming up as conflict but I am not using it right now. My clients are getting conflicts on their end so bad I got written up for it. My computer goes crazy after sending faxes, which I need to send all day. Not going to print and get up and do manually plus the feeder broke, and Larry lost the part. I should order it but....

Old 06-16-2011, 01:15 PM

AMD Catalyst

ATI Radeon Latest version is 11.5, and then need 11.5a hotfix for issues, mouse, etc.

I installed my monitor driver.

I do not think the modem is hanging up after faxing, and that is where leak is or does not shut down definitely. This has happened a couple times when people were on the phone with me. I had to reboot. Two devices trying to use same IRQ. Ran diagnostics on fax modem, and it has AT#CLS=? COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED. I have the conflict page diagnostics..

Old 06-16-2011, 01:16 PM

I definitely have issues with the modem. Below, I have different WAV drivers. I work with wav voice files all day. I have sent an email to Tamra asking when COMM errors starting occurring (had different ones), but I know it is not disconnecting properly. Around the time she first notified me, I had plugged in an external sound card (SoundBlaster, which has to be disabled during installation of the Catalyst), so now using another IRQ port. I use this sound card all day. Did not think to disable the internal one using a port. Too busy working, catch 22. So might be 2 problems, the internal modem not disconnecting or conflict, leaking memory, and need updated Catalyst driver.

Found below. So these can be related....the IRQs, the modem and graphics card and the .WAV. driver the fax has and my .WAV files I transcribe all day.

Whatever conflicts I have, I have to resolve along with more memory. These clients are huge memory-sucking ones. I am bareboned and needed this much memory, so it will not last long. I have not even loaded my other programs and info.....

The final issue, particularly with the soft-soft modems, is the integrity of the operating system. As these modems rely on the OS to do the business-end of a modem, any endemic systems errors will have direct impact on the functioning of the modem. Cynics will say that this is a good reason for not putting a soft modem into a win95/98/Me OS (drivers to host soft modems on Linux are now appearing - see the PC-Tel 1789 56k HSP as the first example; see also Ambient MD563X-HaM, Lucent Mars, & Smart Link HAMR5600TM).
PCI Bus (includes AGP and/or ISA) Problems Soft modem operations are time-dependant during connection and make heavy use of the PCI bus. There are known problems with certain graphics cards and sound cards which will intefere with this use of the PCI bus.

Clues & ways to check for OS errors are:

Blue-Screen-of-Death/System Errors with other applications
Adding DirectX7 to a DirectX5-certified graphics system (personal experience)
"LoadFailed", "DEVICEINITFAILED", "INITCOMPLETEFAILED", etc. within Bootlog.txt - this text file is created by bringing up the boot-menu at startup:
(win98) Hold down the Ctrl-key whilst the computer starts
(win95/98) Press the f8 function-key immediately after the beep & before the Windows® start-screen & choose option 2.
It is, of course, also normal to see these errors within any log file!

Discussion
Well it doesnt show any conflicts but that was the same as last time then the problems occured and the audio wouldnt load and the conflict appeared.

I cant seem to change the irq setting in system properties as when I go to change setting in resources it tells me it cannot be modified.

Someone mention removing ACPI might help but im not sure how to remove this.
I have't had any experience with PCI modems (specifically got a board with an ISA slot so I could avoid them), but here goes.

Does it have jumpers on the modems PCB? If so you may be able to set the com port and IRQ using these (ie: not plug & play). The settings are usually printed on the PCB somewhere. Check your modem manual or manufacturers site for instruction on this and while your at it download fresh drivers.

A usefull site for modem chip identification and help is:
Help Pages

Modems are finicky little beasties. Sometimes just pulling it and reinstalling will get it up and running or remove it in control panel> modem properties reboot and reinstall. Choose to select your modem (not windows) and follow the prompts, point it to your new drivers (should also install a WAV.inf for voice (which is where your prob may lay). You may have to do this more than once and removing a com port at the same time may work (has for me).

At the end of all this when the modem ids being recognised (modem diagnostics) you should check your dial up setting and have a gemeral flick through your system to make sure everything is ok.

HTH

Murray P
23-05-2002, 01:03 PM
Thanks the advice Murray and all.

I think I solved it by diabling com 1 and 2 in bios as Im not using them and then moving modem to another pci slot and reinstalling.

Now at least the modem and sound have seperate irqs.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:17 PM

When I changed dictation systems.... I know transcribe wav files instead of calling into the other computer. The comm ports on the internal modem and the newest sound card--that was what was doing it. I had more devices trying to use ports than ports.

For the first time tonight, I had audio when I sent that fax. I had disabled the internal sound card earlier, which was also using a comm port... The fax was not disconnecting and leaking memory. No crashes or big surges since, although I still use a lot of memory and am finding info on that. The Catalyst program is coming up big, and the new driver is supposed to address this.

I cannot access the laptop from transcription computer, etc. Not on network.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:18 PM

When you installed the modem, did you reconfigure the modem ports and IRQs? Do I need to do that?

The fax modem is still messed up. Everything works great except need Radeon driver upgrade but when I fax, it starts all over again. Problem is not solved, just a bit more memory to work with, and the it is hard on the hard drive. You can audibly hear..

I fax to the surgeons their reports all day while playing voice files, external sound card, and other apps, some of which use the comm ports, some just seconds prior to surgery with the patient on the gurney. I have no time for crashes, and the computer needs to be rebooted after each fax. I ran the diagnostics this weekend and the week prior, and it shows 2-3 items competing for same IRQ. The fax does not disconnect, and the memory leaks huge. The fax modem has to have its own dedicated port, etc.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:19 PM

When you installed the fax modem, did you reconfigure the modem ports and IRQs? Do I need to do that? It needs to be on a dedicated port by itself, and then all my other items on other ports/IRQs. This is why I hire technicians--to configure settings. Not plug-and-play with me with all this stuff. I did disable one sound card not using. I am already way behind work from time spent diagnosing and trying to fix this as well as updating drives not to mention have other urgent issues I need to attend to and invoicing (as well as needing sleep). I cannot miss deadlines and have a doctor's app Friday, extremely early. I have been up until 6-7am continuously, exhausted. You do not show up to pain doctor exhausted, or he will mistake it for over consumption of medication, and I will have to pay a very expensive drug test for nothing, let alone time and money. My clients are fed up with computer issues.

The fax modem is still messed up. Everything else works great except need Radeon driver upgrade and fax. When I fax from internal modem, issues start all over again. Problem is not solved and causing significant spikes, just a bit more memory to work with (not much with fax issues going), and it is hard on the hard drive. You can audibly hear it. I also checked system properties, and it lists critical errors happening.

I fax reports and log sheets to the surgeons all day while playing voice files (WAV) along with using external sound card and other apps, some of which use the comm ports. Some of these are stats just seconds prior to surgery with the patient on the gurney. I have no time for crashes, and the computer needs to be rebooted after each fax. I ran the diagnostics this last weekend and several other times, and it shows 2-3 items competing for same IRQ. The fax does not disconnect, and the memory leaks are huge. The fax modem has to have its own dedicated port, etc.

Since you left, I now have been getting errors regarding Windows not recognizing a USB device coming up several times a day, which did not happen prior. I had uninstalled the latest Service Pack release prior to your arrival, as I was having memory issues and also read about this happening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or