U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:53 AM

13,312 posts, read 20,362,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
And completely legal because the data belongs to the owner.
Which law or court decision says that? If it's not a law then on what do you base that on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 11:56 AM

3,118 posts, read 3,931,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
There are some popular blogs out there where people post all the info their honeypot collects. If someone is stupid enough to connect illegally to another's wifi, any data they send over it may end up being published. And completely legal because the data belongs to the owner.
That's actually not true at all. Just because they access a network you own does not mean you suddenly own any files that are on the endpoint that connects to the network. If I take my laptop to work, for example, and log on to the company's wifi with it....the company does not then have the right to fish through my files, extract anything they want, and then post it for the world to see.

It doesn't so much matter, because what you've described previously (some setup by which you automatically download all shared files of anyone who accesses your network) isn't plausible, anyways, so I don't think you're being forthcoming. If you had said you record the MAC address and whatever information crosses your wire (passwords, etc.) I'd have bought it, but the concept that you're using your bandwidth to obtain dumps of shared folders (which, btw are only shared folders if you have the key for homegroup/domain except in the public folders) is pretty out there.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:35 AM

7,293 posts, read 6,671,395 times
I know it sounds silly but I want to hack WEP networks just to check the weather radar when I'm on the go because I'm too cheap to get a phone data plan and most networks are secured by at least that. Hack, check radar, good to go. Probably not worth it just to check the radar to see where storms are going though if I'm going to get in big legal trouble if caught. lol

This new wireless adaptor with 2 antennas I just got by sinmax gets in a crazy number of networks from my apartment, but they are ALL encrypted with at least WEP. I suspect I'll have the same problem traveling about trying to check the radar from various spots.

I went from picking up 3 networks with 4 or more bars to 15 networks with 4-5 bars with this little thing. Crazy.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wirel...eywords=sinmax

Last edited by stockwiz; 06-22-2012 at 10:46 AM..

Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I know it sounds silly but I want to hack WEP networks just to check the weather radar when I'm on the go because I'm too cheap to get a phone data plan and most networks are secured by at least that. Hack, check radar, good to go. Probably not worth it just to check the radar to see where storms are going though if I'm going to get in big legal trouble if caught. lol
Putting the legality of breaking into somebody's wireless network aside, cracking a WEP network can take from a few seconds to forever, depending on network traffic. In other words, if someone has their router on, but no one is connected to it, it will complicate things.

Second, most new routers are preconfigured to use WPA, which can only be cracked via dictionary attacks or WPS exploit if the router has WPS enabled and will take hours.

Or you can drive to the nearest Starbucks, McDonalds, or any other place that has free Wi-Fi, buy a cup of coffee and use their free Wi-fi to check the weather radar.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,565,213 times
My neighbor has a wi-fi network which he doesn't protect. Mine is protected with WPA2. It is a royal pain in the ass as sometimes my Macbook links to his network despite it being slower and further away than mine. I always know when this happens because response time falls through the floor. But I don't want it to happen at all. Anyone got any ideas how I can stop this happening?

Old 06-24-2012, 10:24 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,260,164 times
You mean that Mac's don't allow you to set which SSID is your preferred network?

Old 06-24-2012, 02:30 PM

13,312 posts, read 20,362,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
My neighbor has a wi-fi network which he doesn't protect. Mine is protected with WPA2. It is a royal pain in the ass as sometimes my Macbook links to his network despite it being slower and further away than mine. I always know when this happens because response time falls through the floor. But I don't want it to happen at all. Anyone got any ideas how I can stop this happening?
Open network preferences. Unlock it (bottom left corner) and then go advanced. Find the network you don't want and delete it. You can also set the order of networks you prefer to connect if you don't want to delete it.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:17 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,565,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Open network preferences. Unlock it (bottom left corner) and then go advanced. Find the network you don't want and delete it. You can also set the order of networks you prefer to connect if you don't want to delete it.
Thanks. Will try that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers