U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 01:25 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,265,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I have never been able to "just use" one of my CCs or bank card at the pump. Every time, at every pump, I was prompted to enter
the pin number, zip code, or some other "identifying" number before the transaction went through.
It happens maybe 1 out of 10 or 20 times I use a CC, or a debit card as a CC. Put in 99999, it is marketing data collection, not security, and California merchants may not ask customers who pay with credit cards for their ZIP codes, the California Supreme Court decided unanimously Thursday.

Quote:
Every computer has its own MAC address. Yes, the MAC address can be spoofed, but still, each computer has one. Also, the wifi router assigns an IP address to each device connected to it so it knows which computer to send the data packets. So the wifi router will assign your neighbor's computer is own unique IP address that will not be linked to any of your own computers.

Yes, it might be an annoyance when the police come to your door, but it is not like you will be the one doing time in prison.
Spoofing a MAC is useful only in gaining access to a wireless system that is using MAC filtering. Granted it is a easy task.
You also have to understand that the MAC never passes through the router, so there is no way to capture the MAC of a computer accessing anything on the internet.

That "annoyance" can include a week-end in jail, rooming with a guy that just beat a convenience store clerk over $50, having your name and face splattered all over the local news as a pedophile under arrest, loss of job, etc. etc..... but yes if you didn't do it, and with no job, ruined reputation and a bunch of lawyer fees to somehow pay off, you will be declared innocent as far as the police are concerned.

Ask the guys in this article how well the system works. NY case underscores Wi-Fi privacy dangers - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110424/ap_on_hi_te/us_wi_fi_warning - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 02:03 PM

28,621 posts, read 40,600,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
This probably has more to do with the software installed on the pumps than it does with where you live. Do you use the same brand of station a lot, or do you pay with debit using a PIN?
Gas stations I use vary widely. Locally I use the same station almost all the time, but when we travel it's what ever is handy. I use a CC always. I have been asked for a zip code, but it was in Las Vegas, Jacksonville, etc.

Quote:
Maybe it is just the particular gas station. I don't get gas from this place often, but when I use a CC, I am prompted to enter the zip code of the billing address the CC is registered to.

It was/is an American Express, so maybe that is something from their end? I have been to all of the locations listed. I used to live in Lawrence, KS. and Minneapolis, and been to all cities you mentioned numerous times. I just never been able to simply swipe a card and begin pumping gas at the pump.
Might be the CC brand. American Express seems to be different in their requirements than other cards. Stricter, perhaps.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:06 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It happens maybe 1 out of 10 or 20 times I use a CC, or a debit card as a CC. Put in 99999, it is marketing data collection, not security, and California merchants may not ask customers who pay with credit cards for their ZIP codes, the California Supreme Court decided unanimously Thursday.
These are completely unrelated transaction types.

In the case of the unattended sale (gas pump) it is a security check. The zip is transmitted to the CC company as part of AVS (address verification), and should never be stored by the company (it's prohibited for PABP validation of the CC processing app).

In the case where you hand your card to a cashier, and they can swipe the card and check your signature, asking for your zip is most likely marketing.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,378,972 times
Quote:
You probably don't have that right. If you read the contract (or TOS) that you signed or agreed to with your ISP, they probably specifically prohibit giving or selling the service to your neighbors.

I'm not saying that they could catch you, just that most specifically prohibit it.

And they have a right to refuse future service to me, as a consequence of my violation of the terms of service. Not a moral, ethical or criminal matter. Just a breach of contract.

If my sister is visiting, and says "I brought my laptop. I'm gonna check my e-mail", is it a breach of contract if I say "OK"?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:42 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,624,368 times
I leave my wifi unsecured, and do it so if anyone comes over they can use the internet, if my neighbor jumps on it, it doesnt matter to me. My wireless is only for internet purposes, and does not have access to my network.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:58 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I leave my wifi unsecured, and do it so if anyone comes over they can use the internet, if my neighbor jumps on it, it doesnt matter to me. My wireless is only for internet purposes, and does not have access to my network.
What you (and others) are missing is this:

When using wireless networking, anything that moves over your network is exposed to anyone else on the network. If I'm on your network I can see you log into Facebook, YouTube, your bank, email, dating sites, whatever. Every web address you type in, or search that you do.

Chat programs are another good example; most don't encrypt the chat session so both sides of a chat are exposed in real time.

Just like at a coffee shop, anyone on your wireless network could be standing over your shoulder watching what you type, and seeing what you see (or at least the raw data to reproduce what you see).

This isn't something that requires a great deal of technical prowess either; there are tons of apps on the web that make it easy for anyone to do this.

This is just one example of a simple to install app that anyone can get:
Firesheep Sniffs Out Facebook and Other User Credentials on Wi-Fi Hotspots

Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
What you (and others) are missing is this:

When using wireless networking, anything that moves over your network is exposed to anyone else on the network. If I'm on your network I can see you log into Facebook, YouTube, your bank, email, dating sites, whatever. Every web address you type in, or search that you do.

Chat programs are another good example; most don't encrypt the chat session so both sides of a chat are exposed in real time.

Just like at a coffee shop, anyone on your wireless network could be standing over your shoulder watching what you type, and seeing what you see (or at least the raw data to reproduce what you see).

This isn't something that requires a great deal of technical prowess either; there are tons of apps on the web that make it easy for anyone to do this.

This is just one example of a simple to install app that anyone can get:
Firesheep Sniffs Out Facebook and Other User Credentials on Wi-Fi Hotspots
What you are missing is that if you use my wifi, you are not on my network. you can not see me log into facebook or anything else I do online, because you are not on my network. because if you are on my wifi, you are not connected to my network, you only have access to the internet.

Granted, if you and someone else is connected to my wifi at the same time, you could see what they are doing, but this still has no effect on me and what I am doing.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 AM

13,325 posts, read 20,371,757 times
Quote:
What you are missing is that if you use my wifi, you are not on my network. you can not see me log into facebook or anything else I do online, because you are not on my network. because if you are on my wifi, you are not connected to my network, you only have access to the internet.

Granted, if you and someone else is connected to my wifi at the same time, you could see what they are doing, but this still has no effect on me and what I am doing.
Can you post a link to a site that tells how to set our wifi up like that?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Can you post a link to a site that tells how to set our wifi up like that?
I don't know of any site that would show you how to do this. my set up is far more complex then most home users will ever use or need. basically I am using 2 internet connections, one is wired, and the other is wireless. My home network that all my computers use, are not on the wifi. The wifi is there just only for people to use the internet.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:19 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,265,774 times
Quote:
I don't know of any site that would show you how to do this. my set up is far more complex then most home users will ever use or need. basically I am using 2 internet connections, one is wired, and the other is wireless. My home network that all my computers use, are not on the wifi. The wifi is there just only for people to use the internet.
So you have a router connected to a router, or you are paying for two connections from your ISP and have 2 routers connected to your ISP.

What ever the case, the public IP addresse(s) are leased to YOU, and if someone connects to your wireless, sends an email threatening the life of an elected government official, guess whose front door is going to get smashed in by the SWAT team when they come to arrest YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers