U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2011, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Central, IL
3,406 posts, read 3,624,870 times
Reputation: 1371

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
So you have a router connected to a router, or you are paying for two connections from your ISP and have 2 routers connected to your ISP.

What ever the case, the public IP addresse(s) are leased to YOU, and if someone connects to your wireless, sends an email threatening the life of an elected government official, guess whose front door is going to get smashed in by the SWAT team when they come to arrest YOU.
I actually have 2 ISP's.

Going by what you are saying, then no businesses should ever offer wireless to their customers, because if so, the business is going to have to deal with the SWAT team smashing in their door, and arresting the business owners, because a customer did something illegal on their wireless network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2011, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Wandering.
3,545 posts, read 5,681,436 times
Reputation: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
What you are missing is that if you use my wifi, you are not on my network. you can not see me log into facebook or anything else I do online, because you are not on my network. because if you are on my wifi, you are not connected to my network, you only have access to the internet.

Granted, if you and someone else is connected to my wifi at the same time, you could see what they are doing, but this still has no effect on me and what I am doing.
Ok, I'll grant you that your situation is different, but you and I both know that most of the people that leave their wifi unprotected don't have this type of setup (or the knowledge to set it up), and are fully exposed by leaving it open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Central, IL
3,406 posts, read 3,624,870 times
Reputation: 1371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Ok, I'll grant you that your situation is different, but you and I both know that most of the people that leave their wifi unprotected don't have this type of setup (or the knowledge to set it up), and are fully exposed by leaving it open.
I absolutely agree that most people do not and will not have a set up like mine. Mine is set up quite differently because of work. Also I personally don't use wireless for anything other then my tablets or cell phone. I have data jacks in every room of my house, so there is never a need to use wireless for any of the laptops.

Yes leaving a wifi open is not the safest thing to do. Most of the time, people will never have an issue, but, there is that risk. But on the same hand, anyone that is connected to the internet in any way shape or form, is running a risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 AM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,974,381 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I absolutely agree that most people do not and will not have a set up like mine. Mine is set up quite differently because of work. Also I personally don't use wireless for anything other then my tablets or cell phone. I have data jacks in every room of my house, so there is never a need to use wireless for any of the laptops.

Yes leaving a wifi open is not the safest thing to do. Most of the time, people will never have an issue, but, there is that risk. But on the same hand, anyone that is connected to the internet in any way shape or form, is running a risk.
Do you have two ISPs? I cannot grasp what business function would require two different networks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Central, IL
3,406 posts, read 3,624,870 times
Reputation: 1371
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Do you have two ISPs? I cannot grasp what business function would require two different networks.
Yes I have two ISP's. One is for my home network and is also used for work. This same network has 5 dedicated static IP's. The other network is there just for the purpose of letting people use it to get online.

Just like on the same hand, many of times when I set up a new telephone system for a customer, I set up a second network just for the telephony equipment. I do not want their local IT guy having access to the telephone portion of it.

Also my home network has 5 rack mount servers, 15 telephone Systems, hardware firewalls etc.. on it. I currently have over 50 vpn tunnels that are set up and ready to be used when needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 01:38 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,268,988 times
Reputation: 8302
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I actually have 2 ISP's.

Going by what you are saying, then no businesses should ever offer wireless to their customers, because if so, the business is going to have to deal with the SWAT team smashing in their door, and arresting the business owners, because a customer did something illegal on their wireless network.
It's possible, but sometimes a little sanity comes into play and law enforcement would recognize this is a business that offers open WiFi.

The discussion is for PERSONAL ISP accounts, where the law enforcement is going to think that some sick little pervert in that house or apartment is sitting in there getting off on kiddy porn, and knock with a 100 lb ram. Individuals that leave their wireless open are most certainly vulnerable to having their front door in the middle of their living room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 01:53 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,974,381 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Yes I have two ISP's. One is for my home network and is also used for work. This same network has 5 dedicated static IP's. The other network is there just for the purpose of letting people use it to get online.

Just like on the same hand, many of times when I set up a new telephone system for a customer, I set up a second network just for the telephony equipment. I do not want their local IT guy having access to the telephone portion of it.

Also my home network has 5 rack mount servers, 15 telephone Systems, hardware firewalls etc.. on it. I currently have over 50 vpn tunnels that are set up and ready to be used when needed.
I see... you are running the business out of your home. I, too, was under the impression that you had two ISPs for personal use. I still don't get why you would need a second ISP for wifi. If you want it separated (for whatever reason), just get a 6th IP and configure your router to run the second one isolated. But that's beyond the scope of this discussion.

I think the OPs question has been answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Central, IL
3,406 posts, read 3,624,870 times
Reputation: 1371
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I see... you are running the business out of your home. I, too, was under the impression that you had two ISPs for personal use. I still don't get why you would need a second ISP for wifi. If you want it separated (for whatever reason), just get a 6th IP and configure your router to run the second one isolated. But that's beyond the scope of this discussion.

I think the OPs question has been answered.
I am not running the business out of my home, but do conduct work from my house at times. There are times I don't feel like going into the office or out in the field, so at those points I work from home. Plus I like to do a lot of work at 3am and it is just easier for me to do it from the house.

But yes these are technically for personal use, and I like many other people, also do sometimes do some of my work from home. I only have to pay for one of the ISP's. I am under contract with them. My other ISP is shall we say a perk of the job. One of the providers we work with alot, provides me with service free of charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,327 posts, read 20,377,508 times
Reputation: 7997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It's possible, but sometimes a little sanity comes into play and law enforcement would recognize this is a business that offers open WiFi.

The discussion is for PERSONAL ISP accounts, where the law enforcement is going to think that some sick little pervert in that house or apartment is sitting in there getting off on kiddy porn, and knock with a 100 lb ram. Individuals that leave their wireless open are most certainly vulnerable to having their front door in the middle of their living room.
I'm thinking we should be complaining about the heavy handed way law enforcement does their job rather than complaining about someone who does not secure their wifi. I don't know why we accept cops doing that when it isn't necessary. It's kind of nice that my neighbor leaves their wifi open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 PM
 
Location: The Brightest City On Earth
1,282 posts, read 1,652,267 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
True, and the accept the challange, and haul every computer, external drive, thumb drive, etc. in your home in as "evidence" and keep it until their computer people can take a look to see if you are guilty.

Oh yea, they haul you in also, but you can likely bond out, but your name and face will be in the local newspaper or TV as a pedophile arrested for child porn.

Ask the people that have experience this as detailed in this news article NY case underscores Wi-Fi privacy dangers - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110424/ap_on_hi_te/us_wi_fi_warning - broken link)


OK, your neighbors are nice people. But what about the nephew of one of them that comes to spend a weekend with them, or the guy that simply drives into your neighborhood, and spends 20 minutes up/downloading kiddy porn.
What is to prevent that person from driving to the local McDonalds or Starbucks and downloading music, porn or whatever? Does the FBI go in and arrest the Manager at McDonalds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:14 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top