U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:42 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
If I do out of state temp jobs and live temporarily in an Apt sometimes I can't sign up for my own internet so then I have to leech on other people's wifi. Or go to a bookstore.
You can get a mifi or similar so you don't have to leech. It's really cheap too. $40/month from Comcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 06:29 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Part of my job (when I deem to take that sort of a contract) is tracking down crackers. If you think the MAC address is the only thing utilized to figure these sorts of things out, well...you largely deserve what you get.
Well enlighten me ol' wise ass, what tracks beyond the MAC would there be. The private IP from your network, possibly even served up by your DHCP server. Yep, guess I'm busted.

Strange, still nothing on this <<<<<<<<<<<powerful>>>>>>>>>>>>> wireless card you have, 10 watts, 100 watts, just what constitutes a <<<<<powerful>>>>>>>>> wireless card, aside from your ego

Old 06-27-2011, 06:41 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,331,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You can get a mifi or similar so you don't have to leech. It's really cheap too. $40/month from Comcast.
I looked at Sprint Mifi and it's a 2 year agreement and that won't work for me. I might do a temp job anywhere for any length of time, let's say 3 months. So I'd need temporary internet for 3 months just to web browse and check my emails. I don't want to sign 2 year mobile wifi contracts when I mostly don't need mobile wifi. So I have to leech off wifi.

That's why I still pay for AOL dial up. Can dial up anywhere in America. And my old Dell E1705's have modems.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:25 PM

3,118 posts, read 3,934,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well enlighten me ol' wise ass, what tracks beyond the MAC would there be. The private IP from your network, possibly even served up by your DHCP server. Yep, guess I'm busted.

Strange, still nothing on this <<<<<<<<<<<powerful>>>>>>>>>>>>> wireless card you have, 10 watts, 100 watts, just what constitutes a <<<<<powerful>>>>>>>>> wireless card, aside from your ego
Some of MANY examples:

What sites did you go to while you were on the network? What username/password combination did you use? Did your copy of Windows attempt to update while you were on the network? Did you used any cached credentials while on the network? The list goes on and on. You are nowhere near as anonymous as you seem to think you are, mate. Only the best crackers can remain anonymous, and you clearly aren't one of them.

As for the wireless card thing you keep bringing up like a 12 year old: 3 words: High gain antenna. 3 more words: Unidirectional pinpoint modeling. Both of which are beyond your capabilities, I know...but really: You might want to stop with the soapboxing when you clearly have only a moderate amount of knowledge.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:16 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Some of MANY examples:

What sites did you go to while you were on the network? What username/password combination did you use? Did your copy of Windows attempt to update while you were on the network? Did you used any cached credentials while on the network? The list goes on and on. You are nowhere near as anonymous as you seem to think you are, mate. Only the best crackers can remain anonymous, and you clearly aren't one of them.

As for the wireless card thing you keep bringing up like a 12 year old: 3 words: High gain antenna. 3 more words: Unidirectional pinpoint modeling. Both of which are beyond your capabilities, I know...but really: You might want to stop with the soapboxing when you clearly have only a moderate amount of knowledge.
So I boot from a live CD, don't use a single account I have anywhere, but create some mimicking you, create a free email account with your SSID as the name, send some threatening emails to elected officials, then wait for your wireless to disappear because it has been taken downtown by the man.

Otherwise you have to capture ALL traffic on your wireless, included the SSL/TSL encrypted, and you might have some search results and a few URLs. After all, at 70 quadrillion iterations per second, you can crack 128 bit SSL in perhaps 75 trillion years (on average). Good luck with that.

To find the username/password you are going to need a subpoena to get that information from the sites, not anything the average braggart has the ability to do.

No, just asking that you back up your claim of a very powerful card;
Quote:
At my house, my network card picks up 9 wireless networks (it's a powerful card).
and now it is revealed you have a standard card and hi-gain antenna or a Pringle's cantenna.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 PM

3,118 posts, read 3,934,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
So I boot from a live CD, don't use a single account I have anywhere, but create some mimicking you, create a free email account with your SSID as the name, send some threatening emails to elected officials, then wait for your wireless to disappear because it has been taken downtown by the man.

Otherwise you have to capture ALL traffic on your wireless, included the SSL/TSL encrypted, and you might have some search results and a few URLs. After all, at 70 quadrillion iterations per second, you can crack 128 bit SSL in perhaps 75 trillion years (on average). Good luck with that.

To find the username/password you are going to need a subpoena to get that information from the sites, not anything the average braggart has the ability to do.

No, just asking that you back up your claim of a very powerful card; and now it is revealed you have a standard card and hi-gain antenna or a Pringle's cantenna.
Now who's twisting in the wind? Before, it was "anyone without any network knowledge can break into WEP", and now you're talking about taking certain cares and precautions taht go above and beyond "just getting in". Hey, someone was just here a couple of days ago talking about how that's not the scope of what he was saying when talking about getting in....who was that? Oh yeah, it was you.

And nothing has been 'revealed' on the card thing - if you were too slow to divine ways to increase range, that's on you.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times
It's really easy for the rest of us to see who's knowledgeable or not from this board battle going on here. But let's be honest, you guys are having a dick-size competition over one of the simplest technologies out there. How could that be satisfying?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 AM

445 posts, read 1,409,483 times
Folks - IF you want to compare dick size - please do in PMs. I am concerned that someone who would like to "Send threats to ..." will read this and be able to get some ideas on how to do it and get away with it...
Most bad guys are not that smart on their own - but with a little help and some suggestions they will be able to do things that will cause additional work on someone else's part

Case in point - The War on terrorism every time we kill off one of the big fish the news media has to explain in detail how the cell phone, laptop etc was used to catch them... THEY can read and watch tv - they become a little better able to evade capture.... OBL used to have a sat. phone until it was widely reported how that could be tracked...

Old 07-01-2011, 01:49 AM

422 posts, read 652,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Sometimes people use their neighbor's wifi signals without their knowledge. But I thought when you set up a wifi in your home, there is a name and password.

Does this mean that sometimes people's wifi doesn't have a name and password, which is why the neighbors can access it?
Illegal to access any computer network that you do not have permission.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:25 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
Illegal to access any computer network that you do not have permission.
Like that's going to stop anyone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers