U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 08:53 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,666,493 times

Advertisements

Are there any good books or websites on this subject? Most of the books I looked at explained how to add a hard drive but not how to partition an existing hard drive. Would I be better off just using software like partition magic? What I would like is to eventually have a dual-boot setup with XP on one partition and Vista on the other. Is anyone else doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 12:31 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,279,158 times
Have you done a search on the web??? You can use partition magic, which is an easy process. And if you don't feel secure enough to do it from scratch, then use a utility such as this.

Even in today's world, I would recommend before you do anything, backup your entire computer.

Download Partition Magic 8.0 Free Trial - Partition Magic is the only real harddisk manager for your system - Softpedia

If you want to do this from scratch , you can do this from your Windows management system.

OR

Visit Microsoft "How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP"

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP

Have fun!!

Old 08-07-2007, 12:52 PM

Yes I have researched some on the web. I've tried using the fdisk utility on my old computer 1st (it has windows ME) but I couldn't get it to work for some reason. I'm pretty much assuming that my whole hard drive will be wiped out even if I use the software so not backing up won't be an issue.

Thanks for your reply. I'll have to play some musical puters and check out the free trial when I get home.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:53 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,279,158 times
Just remember, the Microsoft site has a well documented step-by-step approach on partitioning your HD. Good luck!!

Old 08-07-2007, 11:09 PM

7,562 posts, read 16,558,722 times
Partition Magic is good for beginners, or people who want a three click process etc, its tried and tested and *almost* foolproof. Go fot it. Before putting vista on your PC, make sure your specs are up to it.

For example, if Microsoft.com says it needs 512RAM, make sure you have at least 1gig instead. The bare minimum in RAM that I would use is 2gig, which I have on my laptop, and it really isnt enough for what I use it for.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:42 PM

79 posts, read 229,908 times
Partitioning a hard is important if you only have one drive.
The C drive holds your operating system
The ''Virtual'' D drive becomes your drive where you can store your files.

Most all software programs (other than the operating system) CAN be installed on the D drive but some, very few, work better on the main C drive.

The best solution is to get another drive and store everything on that.

Use a smaller drive for C (like 80gig)
Larger one for D drive

If you are partitioning the one sole drive, and it's about 200gig or more, make the C drive about 60-80gig, no bigger.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the info all.

Roo50 I tried to give you some rep but was told to "spread it around".

Old 08-11-2007, 02:44 PM

79 posts, read 229,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Thanks for the info all.

Roo50 I tried to give you some rep but was told to "spread it around".
Thanks anyway, no problems. I'll see if I can do the same-

Old 09-03-2010, 02:28 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,994 times
Yayoi, you actually do not need to install or buy/use any 2rd party programs, Windows' own partitioning function can handle your needs.

If you choose to do so, there is only one simple rule you have to remember when installing multiple Windows operating systems and you are going to let Windows handle the partitioning: Always install from older version of Windows to newer version, meaning whichever Windows version is older, install that first then the newer version. In your case, install XP then Vista.

As others mentioned, make sure you hardware can handle version of Windows you are about to install. You should always have at least the Network card's drivers suitable for the version of Windows you will install ready on a media, that way if you had a live internet connection, you could always connect to the Internet and check the web site of that particular component vendor for the most current drivers.

Anyhow, make sure in BIOS, the bootup sequence is set for CD/DVD ROM first then Hard Drive/SATA as second. When you boot the system the Windows XP cd should be in the drive and when you see the prompt the press Spacebar to boot from CD you do so, then follow the screen instructions to go through the process which I am assuming you are somewhat knowledgeable on.

If you were going to install only one operating system, then one partition would be enough but it is often advisable to have at least 2. One for operating system files and device drivers and even installed programs and the other purely data. That way if you operating system ever becomes corrupt or unbootable, you could do a fresh install by reformating on the that partition, leaving the other partition where your data reside untouched.

Drive letters A and B were used for Floppy Drives back from DOS days so it became a universal standard that the first real drive partition to be C and it goes from there. All partition that reside on an actual, physical hard disk are real partitions not 'virtual' like someone else mentioned. I think they meant to say 'extended' perhaps. Virtual drives really used for referencing drives not physically connected to the PC in question such as mapped network drive or drives created by a 3rd party program installed on the system. A flash USB drive would also be a physical drive not a virtual drive. I guess you know what we are talking about so it probably doesn't matter all that much.

Drive C is always the first 'primary' partitions where Windows boot files are stored at. So lets say you will have 2 different versions of Windows like XP and Vista. I'd personally create 3 partitions, C where XP would be installed at and D where Vista would be installed at then E where data files would be stored at. So if you installed a program after booting to XP system, make sure you install the program on the C partition and if you are installing it for Vista then install it on D. E partition would be to stores files that are transparent to both XP and Vista, meaning they are just documents or other data that is not registered with the operating system.
After you are done with XP installation, boot to the Vista DVD and install Vista on the D partition so it doesn't damage XP.
How much space to dedicate for each partition would depend on your Hard Drive's capacity and how much data you have. Let's say you have a 300GB drive, I would make C about 30-40GB (min 10% of total available space or 25GB whichever is greater/adequate) and about same for D partition, the rest for data.

Both C and D partitions would be 'primary' partitions as that is the proper way to install an OS. C partition will be the only active one, and that is where both Vista and XP boot files would be stored in. If that partition get damaged or wiped both OSes would be effected.

With these setup you will have a dual-boot prompt everything you turn on your system. You would get to choose which Windows to boot to with a default one selected and a timer counting down from 30 seconds to 0.
these settings would be possible to change within Windows (preferably within the dominant version, in this case Vista). Since Vista is newer, its partitioning program will be active and used and also that is the operating system you boot to to make changes to the boot up options.

I hope this was clear enough and could provide you a viable option.

Old version of fdisk and format that you used on a Windows 9x/ME startup floppy disk should not be used for installing NTFS based OSes as it is not suitable. Also those programs work only with partition limits of 8GB if I remember correctly. They will also not work with SATA type Hard Drives, it simple will not detect the drive. Windows XP and newer versions come with integrated partitioning utilities that will do a decent job.

PS. the guy before me "Applexxxxx" sounds like a spammer so I would not recommend opening that link!

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 09-03-2010 at 02:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or