U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 12:06 PM

7,562 posts, read 16,556,765 times

Advertisements

Google is a search engline, they only give you products to track your browsing.

Southernlady, I wasnt trying to get at you, it was fairly good advice. The average user can uninstall Norton no problems. I do not pay for any software, except the OS, CS3 and CA Antivirus, I pay for nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 12:19 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,404,679 times
Quote:
The average user can uninstall Norton no problems.
Even *I* have issues uninstalling Norton and I am NOT the average user. Have you seen the mess that Norton leaves even after an uninstall in the registry? It clogs it up big time. Doing a regedit by hand is TIME consuming and the average user is not qualified to tackle that one.

There is one program I found that does help do regedits in a batch method. Called jv16 PowerTools and it works. I've gotten the AOL junk out that HP decided to load on my laptop as well.

Another one that a friend has mentioned that works for brand new computers ONLY: PC Decrapifier

Quote:
It did remove the programs I selected completely, which for Norton Internet Security is amazing !! Took me over 4 hours last time trolling through registry entries...., the program took about 10 -15 minutes.

My piece of advice though - only do one program at a time, re-run the program for any others you want to remove. The program sort of gives the idea you can select all the programs to be removed,but since some are more difficult than others you may find it requesting a reboot before other removals are complete - that could cause problems.
Liz

Old 08-08-2007, 12:25 PM

Yeah it can be a pain in the ****, but its only afew clicks extra. I have friends who figured it out themselves, I didnt help them one bit.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
but its only afew clicks extra. I have friends who figured it out themselves
And I have friends who couldn't figure their way out of a paper bag....

I've also had clients who couldn't figure their way out of that bag and life got easier after I discovered jv16. Liz

Old 08-08-2007, 12:36 PM

Me too , thats why I didnt help them, because theyll want their hands held for the resto f their lives.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:43 PM

1,562 posts, read 3,932,428 times
For the virus's and worms i've had, Norton was of no help (it had up to date definitions) and infact wasn't able to scan cause of the virus, but ad-aware located the worms and viruses and told me the type they were. Used my other computer, searched the internet for removal directions and bam, my computer was fine.

Ad-aware and lavasoft firewall is the best combo yet. Takes little processing power and provides better coverage than mcaffee and norton.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:44 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
460 posts, read 2,014,155 times
Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
For the virus's and worms i've had, Norton was of no help (it had up to date definitions) and infact wasn't able to scan cause of the virus, but ad-aware located the worms and viruses and told me the type they were. Used my other computer, searched the internet for removal directions and bam, my computer was fine.

Ad-aware and lavasoft firewall is the best combo yet. Takes little processing power and provides better coverage than mcaffee and norton.
====================

Ever tried using Spyware Terminator by Crawler, LLC - it a great tool I love it better than Ad-aware

Old 08-09-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Ever tried using Spyware Terminator by Crawler, LLC - it a great tool I love it better than Ad-aware
I looked into that one just now.

I have issues with the company if not the program.

Crawler, LLC also has a toolbar that has this EULA:
Quote:
From the EULA
"You must be at least 18 years of age in order to agree to the terms of this Agreement and to download the Services. IF YOU ARE BETWEEN THE AGES OF 13 AND 17, A PARENT OR GUARDIAN MUST DOWNLOAD IT FOR YOU. USE OF THE SERVICES BY ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 13 IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED."
"Note: CRAWLER IS NOT SPYWARE OR ADWARE. NO POPUP ADS WILL APPEAR WITH THE SERVICES."
"Visiting and using Crawler Services may result in Crawler receiving performance and usage information (such as search term, time of day, browser type, default language setting, IP address, an anonymous identifier). This information will not be used to personally identify you."
And there are doubts on some of the ASAP sites out there that the toolbar is clean. Here is an example: CToolbar.exe entry is incorrect - PC Pitstop Forums

Just be careful with what you use. A VERY useful list to check before downloading anything to check for spyware/adware is here: Spyware Warrior: Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

Liz

Old 12-04-2007, 04:23 PM

511 posts, read 1,510,753 times
Default Great Info!

Great info and resources on this thread! Thanks all.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:05 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,600,178 times
Thumbs up A thread for all seasons

Fine list, great advice. 100% agreement here.

For the free programs mentioned you must remember to update them. Most (with the exception of AVG) don't do it automatically, so you must check for updates regularly.

When you go to Properties to check your drive you can check both boxes under Check Now (Tools tab) and then reboot. This will do an extended set of tests. I do this about once a month.

Ccleaner does an excellent job of clearing your PC of cookies, cache, etc. You do want to read the help file and pay attention to what is checked before running it. A great program, but you can remove things you really don't want to if you don't pay attention...

If you find Norton IS to be bloated (duh!) try ZoneAlarm Internet Security. It's what I've switched to and it does a great job without the bloat (at least not as much).

Pop-ups: If you use either Firefox or Internet Explorer there is a pop-up blocker in both. Check that it is activated.

I keep adding to this!

Add/Remove Programs: Remove any program that mentions coupons, search, toolbar (I'll give Google a pass because the OP approves), Bearshare, Limewire, Kazaa.

Kudos for starting this thread!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or