Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:02 AM

1,396 posts, read 3,442,847 times

Advertisements

Hello Liz, I have a question concerning Google's ABC spellcheck in my tool bar. I just installed Norton antivirus 2008 yesterday and some time after and this morning, I get a "please wait" pop up then another with "a problem has occured in accessing Google's server....". This never happened before prior to updating to the 2008 version.

Oh, now I see in the reply box, there's a spell check feature I can use. I just have to install that one but in other areas, I would like my Google spellcheck to work. Thanks in advance Liz!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 07:29 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
LOL, When I reformatted this laptop about 6 weeks ago, I forgot to reinstall my toolbar. So I had to do that really quick. Now, I do not know ANYTHING about how Norton works since I refuse to touch that software any more. I haven't used it in 5 years.

But what I read on the help section of google about the spell check was this:
Quote:
The Google Toolbar's SpellCheck feature can correct any spelling mistakes you make when you type into a web form, including web-based email, discussion forums, and even intranet web applications.

To run Google SpellCheck, please click the SpellCheck button on your Toolbar. SpellCheck will then highlight any incorrect spellings so you can correct them.

If you're feeling lucky, you can let the Google SpellCheck feature automatically correct your spelling by clicking on the arrow to the right of the SpellCheck button and clicking "AutoFix." Don't worry; if Google SpellCheck isn't feeling lucky, it will highlight the words it's unsure of and allow you to correct them yourself.
Quote:
We don't currently provide a way to run Google SpellCheck as you type. To run Google SpellCheck, please click the SpellCheck button on your Toolbar. SpellCheck will then highlight any incorrect spellings so you can correct them.

If you're feeling lucky, you can let the Google SpellCheck feature automatically correct your spelling by clicking on the arrow to the right of the SpellCheck button and clicking "AutoFix." Don't worry; if Google SpellCheck isn't feeling lucky, it will highlight the words it's unsure of and allow you to correct them yourself.
Quote:
We don't currently provide a way to edit your SpellCheck dictionary from the Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer. However, you can edit entries with a text editor. To do this, click the "Start" button on your Windows taskbar, select "Run" and then enter the following into the text box:

notepad "%HOMEPATH%\Application Data\Google\User Dictionary.txt"

If you've added words to your SpellCheck dictionary, a text file showing the words you've added will open. You can then edit or remove any words in this file. Once you've made the changes, please save the file.
Quote:
You can set Google SpellCheck to ignore a word during the current spellchecking session or permanently. If Google SpellCheck has highlighted a word that you don't want checked again during the current session, please click on the word and choose "Ignore all." If you don't want the word to be highlighted in the future, you can click on the word and choose "Add to dictionary."
Quote:
Remove any program that mentions coupons, search, toolbar (I'll give Google a pass because the OP approves),
Most ASAP members give google a pass. It is the least offensive of the bunch even tho, like all the rest, it is STILL a toolbar. Liz

Old 12-06-2007, 08:07 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
You can also add and use ieSpell from the toolbar if you're using Internet Explorer. I assume there's probably a similar option for Firefox and other browsers.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
You can also add and use ieSpell from the toolbar if you're using Internet Explorer. I assume there's probably a similar option for Firefox and other browsers.
Unlike IE who has to have the spell check added on, Firefox has it built in. It's been that way with Firefox since build 2.0.0. Liz

Old 12-06-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Unlike IE who has to have the spell check added on, Firefox has it built in. It's been that way with Firefox since build 2.0.0. Liz
Maybe we're not talking about the same thing. It's always there ("built in") I think (you don't have to use Manage Add-ons to add it), but it might not be in the toolbar arrary until you tell it to put it there. I think.

Or . . . maybe I've forgotten and I added it back who-knows-when.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:44 AM

IESpell

Internet Explorer 7 Spell Checking Application
Quote:
Out of the wide range of third party add-on solutions presented by Microsoft on a dedicated Web space, Mark Harris, Program Manager driving extensibility in IE7, has addressed the IESpell application.
This is the Redmond Company's alternative solution to integrated spell checking utilities from rival browser engines. But with its integration into Internet explorer, the spell-checker from the web will deliver additional functions. "It’s a free download for non-commercial use, and spell-checks any text typed into a form. IESpell will also look up word definitions and works with several language dictionaries. Right-click on any word in a page, and IESpell will get you the definition," described Harris.
So no, IE doesn't have it automatically built in...it's an add on. Liz

Old 12-06-2007, 08:55 AM

Well, I must have added it then and just don't remember doing it.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
I'm running defrag for the first time on my new computer w/Windows Vista. You'd think they'd let you know what percent of done-ness it's up to. I have absolutely no idea how long this is gonna take.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:07 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,442,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
LOL, When I reformatted this laptop about 6 weeks ago, I forgot to reinstall my toolbar. So I had to do that really quick. Now, I do not know ANYTHING about how Norton works since I refuse to touch that software any more. I haven't used it in 5 years.

Liz
Hello again Liz, I just came home and opened a dm, no new window for the dm but a pop up stated "check your pop up blocker etc...." Its the new spam pop up blocker from Norton 2008 thats not allowing my spellcheck to work. I've had Norton from the start with never any problems, I'll work on it. Thanks for your time and happy holidays!

MM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers