U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

How to keep computer clean; install antivirus software, use firewall, update computer Microsoft updates, install spyware blaster, keeping your pc clean and safe

 
Old 08-07-2007, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Home is where we park it.
3,098 posts, read 8,404,410 times
Reputation: 3195

Advertisements

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  1. Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

    See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

    Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

  2. Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

  3. Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

    For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

    Understanding and Using Firewalls

  4. Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit Microsoft Windows Update regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

  5. Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

  6. Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

  7. Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

  8. Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Glad we are able to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2007, 03:10 PM
 
Location: WA State USA
79 posts, read 229,878 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  1. Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

    See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

    Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources
  2. Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
  3. Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

    For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

    Understanding and Using Firewalls
  4. Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit Microsoft Windows Update regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
  5. Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers
  6. Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer
  7. Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware
  8. Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Glad we are able to help.
I have said almost exactly the same thing. Good tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2007, 11:39 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,736,315 times
Reputation: 3895
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
Excellent advice and good tips. I don't use Windows myself except for work, and I'm limited as to what I can do on those boxes myself, but my methods for keeping my wife's Win2k box safe match your advice almost exactly.

I don't use SpyWareBlaster, but I don't allow MSIE to be used on my home LAN anymore, either. We've been a Firefox household for quite a while. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2007, 09:30 PM
 
1,005 posts, read 1,505,656 times
Reputation: 656
Once again, Liz, thank you for your time to post this most useful info. It's extraordinarily helpful to someone, like me, who has limited knowledge & the more we know, the better off we all are. Thank you for your time & desire to share... VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,162,721 times
Reputation: 135
You can avoid all of that hassle and expense by switching to Linux. Ubuntu, Fedora, and OpenSUSE are *very* desktop friendly these days. The laptop I'm writing this on is 100% free and open source software, never had a virus, never a piece of spyware, and runs for weeks or months w/o a reboot.

It's very sad commentary on the quality of Microsoft code that you have to go to such extreme lengths, time investment, and financial investment to be able to "safely" use your computer. Does that not seem absurd to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Home is where we park it.
3,098 posts, read 8,404,410 times
Reputation: 3195
Quote:
You can avoid all of that hassle and expense by switching to Linux. Ubuntu, Fedora, and OpenSUSE are *very* desktop friendly these days. The laptop I'm writing this on is 100% free and open source software, never had a virus, never a piece of spyware, and runs for weeks or months w/o a reboot.

It's very sad commentary on the quality of Microsoft code that you have to go to such extreme lengths, time investment, and financial investment to be able to "safely" use your computer. Does that not seem absurd to anyone else?
Except there are some software products that will not run on a linux distro. One is my insulin pump software...it's windows only. And the other is my favorite graphics program...I am a tuber (paint shop pro). Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,162,721 times
Reputation: 135
Wine does a great job of enabling Windows programs in Linux. It's not perfect, but either 1) a little research will guide you in getting a program running or 2) a free/open source alternative exists.

For example, I have GIMP on this machine; I also have Photoshop running under Wine. Never tried Paint Shop Pro.

I have also found that many free/open source programs are far better than their proprietary, fee-based counterparts, FF and Opera vs IE is a great example (as is Apache vs IIS).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Home is where we park it.
3,098 posts, read 8,404,410 times
Reputation: 3195
Quote:
Wine does a great job of enabling Windows programs in Linux. It's not perfect, but either 1) a little research will guide you in getting a program running or 2) a free/open source alternative exists.
No free/open source alternative exists for either of the program I mentioned. There is not one for my pump...simply does not exist, it is a proprietary program by a pump manufacturer. And the tubes I make in PSP don't exist in GIMP...I've looked. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top