U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:12 AM

10,754 posts, read 18,010,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Only a moron would put all of their personal data on a cloud out of their control.
For reasons like this, your dropbox account was wide open to anyone for 4 hours.

Dropbox lets anyone log in as anyone – so check your files now! | Naked Security
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 AM

6,816 posts, read 12,027,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Sure, when I have a 6GB/sec symmetric Internet connection (with no bandwidth cap) that reaches every corner of the globe with no chance of a provider suddenly deciding for whatever reason to delete or suspend my account (along with all my data) without recourse.
That, plus encryption that nobody else could crack to look at your personal files..

Old 06-21-2011, 08:56 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,974,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
You do know that a Solid State Drive (SSD) is basically a Hard Drive without moving parts. So its still on-site storage. Its a natural progression from the days we used RAM as temporary storage to external thumb drives to now internal SSD's. The only way Cloud is going to work is if it syncs to it in the background without user having to click anything (similar to an mp3 device).
Yes, ofcourse, but they are not the same. You indicated never, and that it not true... it's already in progress.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,974,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
That, plus encryption that nobody else could crack to look at your personal files..
All encryption will be crack-able at some point in time as computers get faster. If we used gigabit encryption keys, we might make it until the year 2050 before it's crack-able. Who knows.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 AM

1,444 posts, read 2,572,590 times
The cloud and ISP need extremely high reliability. If the cloud or your ISP goes down, you won't be able to access your data. Amazon had a cloud outage that lasted several days back in April.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 AM

6,816 posts, read 12,027,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
All encryption will be crack-able at some point in time as computers get faster. If we used gigabit encryption keys, we might make it until the year 2050 before it's crack-able. Who knows.
And those faster computers will be capable of generating cutting-edge uncrackable keys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
The cloud and ISP need extremely high reliability. If the cloud or your ISP goes down, you won't be able to access your data. Amazon had a cloud outage that lasted several days back in April.
I'd use the cloud for storing things that I want accessible on multiple computers. Say if I play a game on my laptop and also at home, I'd want to save the game on the cloud every time. (Like saving a city I make in SimCity to Dropbox for example..) And if the cloud loses my game's save, it's not a big deal, relatively speaking..

Old 06-21-2011, 10:15 AM

22,779 posts, read 26,643,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What's the purpose of having a hard drive when you can access all of your photos, MP3s, and documents through cloud?
i'm not exactly up to speed on all this..

but this "cloud" uses your internet bandwidth, right? unless something drastically changed in the past few years, that is more expensive and slower than the connection between your CPU and your local drive.

furthermore i like having some sense of control over my data. My desktop runs a 80GB SSD for apps, 1TB high speed disk for local media, 1TB removable drive for data on the go.... is the cloud that fast? i'm not clear on what benefits it would bring that would outweigh the speed, reliability, security and control i currently have over my data.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:17 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,707,293 times
I upload all my important pictures and videos to a photobucket pro account. $25/year (I got it free through trialpay), FTP access, unlimited bandwidth and space.

Other than pics and videos, the only other really important thing to me that I back up are my personal files that I need (copies of insurance cards, statements of any kind, etc) that are kept on a small portable hard drive that gets used 1 time per month to back up to.

Other than that, if my PC goes up in flames, I won't miss anything too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm not exactly up to speed on all this..

but this "cloud" uses your internet bandwidth, right? unless something drastically changed in the past few years, that is more expensive and slower than the connection between your CPU and your local drive.

furthermore i like having some sense of control over my data.
No. You upload your photos/videos once to a server somewhere (aka, the "cloud"), and that server hosts your files for you. You don't host your own files.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:19 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,684,398 times
As per the OP :Will Cloud Make The Hard Drive Obsolete?

Quote:
You indicated never, and that it not true... it's already in progress.
It will be never. There will always be a need for on-site storage. It just may not be in format we are currently used to. So the name for it will change, but its function will stay the same.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 AM

22,779 posts, read 26,643,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
No. You upload your photos/videos once to a server somewhere (aka, the "cloud"), and that server hosts your files for you. You don't host your own files.
that makes no sense in relation to my post; it doesn't clear up anything i said, or answer anything i asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers