U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:29 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,912,734 times

Advertisements

Of course you use a network to download data from a cloud.

The issue it took so long to clear up here is that you may or may not need to use a network to get the data you need depending on whether you have a local copy of it on the device you are using.

For years to come, I do not see using the cloud as the primary location of the data I use. It might be useful to hold a copy, both for backup and to access from my non-primary devices. But it will be a very long time before the networds are fast enough for interactive use of larger files. You can edit photos in the cloud with acceptable performance if the editing is done on a computer in the cloud, not your device. That avoids downloading it. \

Networks are still just about the least reliable component involved in computing.

I suggest that people stop talking so specifically about hard disks. The real issue is "local storage" - which could mean traditional spinning drives, or solid state, or something else. We are going to have local storage devices for a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,707,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
so you do use an internet connection to download from the cloud. i am glad you agree, i don't understand why this has to be made so complicated.
It's not complicated at all. I very clearly stated how it works from a consumer standpoint. The complication is all you buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
For years to come, I do not see using the cloud as the primary location of the data I use. It might be useful to hold a copy, both for backup and to access from my non-primary devices. But it will be a very long time before the networds are fast enough for interactive use of larger files. You can edit photos in the cloud with acceptable performance if the editing is done on a computer in the cloud, not your device. That avoids downloading it.

Networks are still just about the least reliable component involved in computing.
I completely agree 100%

Quote:
I suggest that people stop talking so specifically about hard disks. The real issue is "local storage" - which could mean traditional spinning drives, or solid state, or something else. We are going to have local storage devices for a very long time.
I use "hard drive" or "hdd" as a blanket term, now-a-days there are too many form factors, types of drive, etc. to explicitly list them all when speaking generally about local storage (although, you are right, it could simply be referred to as local storage, which I do from time to time).

Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,762,319 times
With some ISP's moving to metered Internet access, I don't see the cloud taking off for serious storage. I wouldn't trust my personal data to a server for which I have no control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
We're already at the point where the typical user can get by with just an SSD since they're not using much drive space anyway. They just need to be cheaper to really take market share. I see people all day long with 250GB hard drives and 40GB of stuff, including the OS and apps. But for storing serious amounts of data, hard drives will rule for a while still.
I don't know about that. Video takes up a lot of space. I have 56 GB on just home videos. I also have a HD TV tuner card. One hour of HD programming = 17 GB. A Blu-Ray rip can take up to 50 GB.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,345,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
I don't know about that. Video takes up a lot of space. I have 56 GB on just home videos. I also have a HD TV tuner card. One hour of HD programming = 17 GB. A Blu-Ray rip can take up to 50 GB.
The vast majority of people don't record or store video. For those who do, its limited to short clips off a cell phone, P&S camera, or Flip camera.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:12 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,687,201 times
Quote:
The vast majority of people don't record or store video
Actually they do. But they are technologically illiterate on how to get a hour of video out of the current genarations of digital video camera to the computer and render it to a state for duplication onto DVD for use in players. So they can get it to the computer and thats where it stops.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:26 PM

42 posts, read 161,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
It seems that the cloud is becaoming bigger. Most people only use computers to access the internet. What's the purpose of having a hard drive when you can access all of your photos, MP3s, and documents through cloud?
Well first off the whole big brother, 1984 thing with the cloud kind of slaps u in the face like a cold, wet, dead fish. Who in their right THINKING (and that is the distinction) mind would allow their personal files (whatever they may be) in an unknown, undisclosed and (as far as we know), unsafe location that isn't on our own computers??

Many questions arise concerning this cloud application. Here are just a few:

1. Who is monitoring the safety of the cloud?
2. Who (besides me) has access to my personal information? (And if you believe no one you are a damn fool!!)
3. What is the cost going to be for this "service"?
4. Will the government have access to your private information?

Until these questions are answered by a reliable non-government and non-government paid individual I will stick with my good old fashioned laptop. If they take that option away then I won't be using computers anymore...not these kind anyway.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:47 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,345,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Actually they do. But they are technologically illiterate on how to get a hour of video out of the current genarations of digital video camera to the computer and render it to a state for duplication onto DVD for use in players. So they can get it to the computer and thats where it stops.
You must work with a different crowd than I do. I move data around for people all the time and there's very little video stored on people's hard drives.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 PM

4,596 posts, read 8,201,672 times
Quote:
Of course you use a network to download data from a cloud.

The issue it took so long to clear up here is that you may or may not need to use a network to get the data you need depending on whether you have a local copy of it on the device you are using.

For years to come, I do not see using the cloud as the primary location of the data I use. It might be useful to hold a copy, both for backup and to access from my non-primary devices. But it will be a very long time before the networds are fast enough for interactive use of larger files. You can edit photos in the cloud with acceptable performance if the editing is done on a computer in the cloud, not your device. That avoids downloading it. \

Can you elaborate on that? Compared to.....?

Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,707,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Can you elaborate on that? Compared to.....?
I think s/he means that compared to a hard drive failing, or a CD drive going out, or something like that, that it is much more likely that some part of the Internet will fail before those parts do.... I think.

If that is the case, I agree, slightly. The Internet is very redundant, but that doesn't mean that your ISP could have issues, or a storm could come through, or something like that.

Basically, you shouldn't rely solely on your Internet connection to access your files, cause sometimes you just might not have it.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:28 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,687,201 times
Quote:
Quote:
Can you elaborate on that?
Actually its a connectivity issue. Once the entire country has replaced cables under ground that are nearly 40 years old with fiber optic cable than the problem will be mostly resolved. The other issue is server nodes. Either some are outdated and can't handle the traffic load or there aren't enough in certain areas of the country for traffic re-direction.

This is also the reason why many smaller countries can handle higher loads. They started with fiber optic and most of their servers are less than 10 years old. But again their fault also lies in server nodes. There may not be enough in a certain country if one goes down and causes a cascade affect requiring traffic flow to be redirected backwards to another country.

The lay person sees connectivity failure when they go to a retail store and that store cannot process credit cards or checks through the registers (usually they end up having to call the processor manually on the telephone to get authorizations). Others close down the stores because they have no on-site servers and everything is done through a AS400 (or something similar) and the node goes down connecting them to a cloud server.

I can take this further into VM, but it would be too much technical information to explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers