U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 03:57 PM

19,837 posts, read 17,917,921 times

Advertisements

Back at Christmas time the stores were full of higher end computers( for them) and they were at pretty steep prices. So I waited. prices never dropped and all the higher end computers disappeared and lower end computers took their place still at pretty steep prices. So not finding anything I wanted I waited. I figured with graduation day and soon back to school, new computers should show up, more capable and at better prices. But no.
I found one new HP computer I was going to buy( H8 1010). Office max was selling it at $650. A good price even if the video card was pretty weak. But they didn't get any in. They had practically no computers. A comparable one at Office Depot was $750. Staples had all lower end computers but at discounts. The same exact computer was at Best Buy for $799. They'd match the Office Max price but they didn't have any either. They had lots of lower end models or older ones still at regular price. Some new models that were better were actually cheaper but they didn't have those, either. Wal mart has lower end computers but their selection isn't much worse than the other guys. At least they discount their old computers eventually.
I'm seeing a trend here. They want to sell old computers that have been sitting around but won't take a loss with them. Newer computers that would sell they can't get in. Maybe they won't risk too big an inventory, maybe production just isn't there. Maybe nobody has the money to buy computers. I do. My computer is practically an antique and I can buy an expensive one if I want to.
I'm going to have to order one online. I just wanted to be able to take it back to where I bought it if it didn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,896 posts, read 33,628,448 times
Even if you find a deal at a big box store, you will get an extreme hard-sell to buy an extended warranty or a bundle of accessories. Supposedly their margins on computers are razor-thin, which is why they don't go on sale very often.

BTW, I've been seeing PCs in various configurations on clearance markdowns at my local Office Depot stores for the last couple of months. Just saw some there today, in fact. Maybe they sell faster at your local stores than they do at mine, which is why you never see markdowns? Also, I have heard from employees that some big box stores keep the clearance deals in the back room during the markdown period and let the employees have the best deals. One way to tell this is happening is if you never see big items on clearance on the sales floor.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:18 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,488,428 times
Mwave.com - Buy Computer Parts, Hardware, Software, Electronics, Karaoke Home Entertainment, Cell Phones, Netbooks, Notebooks, iPods, Apple Computers and more at the lowest prices and best service from Mwave.com
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras and More!
TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics
etc...

Old 06-22-2011, 04:40 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,705,982 times
Byopc imo

Old 06-22-2011, 11:43 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,667,913 times
Quote:
I found one new HP computer I was going to buy( H8 1010). Office max was selling it at $650. A good price even if the video card was pretty weak. But they didn't get any in.
They're available on-line. Why didn't you just pay for it and have it delivered for free within a few days?

Quote:
I just wanted to be able to take it back to where I bought it if it didn't work.
Per their own policy its returnable at the stores.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
They're available on-line. Why didn't you just pay for it and have it delivered for free within a few days?
Agreed.

My question is: why are you so dead set against buying online?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:37 AM

1,594 posts, read 2,680,678 times
I can't imagine why anyone would want to purchase a computer in-store and not from an online retailer, especially since many places like Amazon give you free shipping and don't charge tax. Not to mention their prices are usually much lower than "big box" stores.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:17 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,392,750 times
Who are the ad wizards who came up with this one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or