U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 04:45 PM

4,923 posts, read 4,159,777 times

Advertisements

Damn .. Might as well have put these instructions in Chinese!

First, if your ISP is Verizon and you have DHCP (not PPPoE) you will most likely need to get the MAC address of the 6100 and c

What is DHCP and/or PPPoE and how would I know what I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 06:51 PM

28,631 posts, read 40,609,166 times
If you look at the link I put in my first post http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600 you will see there is a possibility of having one of two firmwares: The difference is in the screen colors. One is white and blue, the other is red and black. They show the red and black so you know what one of them looks like.

Which one do you have?

If it's the white and blue you shouldn't worry about it at all because it only shows DHCP.

If it's the red and black you will know which you have, DHCP or PPPoE, because at one of the screens the information it shows changes depending on which you have. The text in the provided link tells you what to expect and what to do depending on which one you have.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 PM

4,923 posts, read 4,159,777 times
Thank You for your help.

The site says that the Red and Black was rolled out in 2007 and the date on mine (modem) says 2006 so I'm guessing .. blue and white?

I haven't messed around with the direct connection to the pc yet so I couldn't say what 'color' it displayed.

To be honest .. This stuff scares me! 8)

Old 06-29-2011, 11:43 AM

28,631 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Thank You for your help.

The site says that the Red and Black was rolled out in 2007 and the date on mine (modem) says 2006 so I'm guessing .. blue and white?

I haven't messed around with the direct connection to the pc yet so I couldn't say what 'color' it displayed.

To be honest .. This stuff scares me! 8)
The thing to do is follow the directions on that page and if what you see doesn't match what it shows, stop. Let us know if it's different.

I wish the pictures on that site were of a better quality. It's almost impossible to make out what the text says is on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers