U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 AM

4,923 posts, read 4,159,777 times

Advertisements

I have been plagued with really annoying drop-offs and disconnects on my Vista 64BIT pc.

The pc uses a netgear WG111V2 usb dongle.

The pc with the modem (westell 6100) and netgear WGT624V3 router is Windows 7 64BIT.

There will be times when I never get a drop or disconnect but then there will be days when I'll have to reboot everything to get a connection again.

The Windows 7 pc reports that "More than one device is performing Network Addressing Translation" (NAT)

(The 'host' pc is in the next room .. about 20 feet away so not a distance problem and no interfering devices)

I understand that the westell HAS to be 'bridged' to avoid this NAT conflict and that will take care of my drop-offs and disconnects?

True or False?

Thanks Everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 AM

28,631 posts, read 40,609,166 times
According to everything I find on the Internet the answer is yes. Having two routers running is a pain in the butt.

How do I use a router with the Westell 6100? Verizon Online DSL FAQ | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

Old 06-27-2011, 10:49 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,343,249 times
While Windows does have the ability to share an Internet connection, you shouldn't be using it. you already have two routers. So there should be no "host PC". I have run double NAT many times and never gotten a warning from Windows. As long as you configure each router with a different IP address, it works fine. For example, the Westell modem/router could be 192.168.1.1. Configure the Netgear router's LAN IP address to be 192.168.2.1. Your Netgear will automatically get a 192.168.1.x address in its WAN port and your devices will get 192.168.2.x IPs from your Netgear.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
While Windows does have the ability to share an Internet connection, you shouldn't be using it. you already have two routers. So there should be no "host PC". I have run double NAT many times and never gotten a warning from Windows. As long as you configure each router with a different IP address, it works fine. For example, the Westell modem/router could be 192.168.1.1. Configure the Netgear router's LAN IP address to be 192.168.2.1. Your Netgear will automatically get a 192.168.1.x address in its WAN port and your devices will get 192.168.2.x IPs from your Netgear.
Thanks to you both for your help.

I probably shouldn't have used the term 'host' as far as the other pc is concerned.

It doesn't matter whether that pc is powered on or not.

I just say 'host' because the westell modem and netgear router is connected through it.

Wouldn't a 'true' host pc network be called adhoc?

Anyways .. It does look like I need to bridge the westell and change everything around!

I was hoping that it would be simpler than that because .. I am a nOOb when it comes to this cr@p and .. What a Pain in the a$$ this is gonna be!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:27 PM

3,118 posts, read 3,933,581 times
Yes, it is important. I'd go into the technical details as to why, but you probably don't want to hear it. You have 2 solutions: Bridge or port forward.

It's really not that hard to set up either.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
You have 2 solutions: Bridge or port forward.

I am All Ears! (Or is it .. I'm All Eyes)

What is that Port forward of which you speak and is it easier than the bridging option

Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is important. I'd go into the technical details as to why, but you probably don't want to hear it. You have 2 solutions: Bridge or port forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
I am All Ears! (Or is it .. I'm All Eyes)

What is that Port forward of which you speak and is it easier than the bridging option
There you go getting someone to learn more than they thought they wanted to. Keep it up!!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 PM

Here's the Microsoft answer on how to physically fix it (I think, I didn't actually read it).

Network address translation: How to avoid common problems

Basically what's happening is this: Your modem is attempting to assign IP addresses and perform translations, but apparently so is your modem (or even a step further on the other side of the demarc). Sometimes this will work out for you, sometimes not (this is usually a VPN issue). One of the biggest issues with it is it adjusts the packet size and sometimes those packets will end up rejected as a result. By placing the router into bridge mode, it will automatically forward all IP packets to your modem for translations. If you place it in bridge mode, the router will have no layer 3 responsibilities.

Setting up port forwarding is leaving your router with the layer 3 responsibilities, but telling it that every time it receives information from a certain product (let's say, internet traffic from your laptop), it's to automatically push it out to a predefined location via an assigned port (in this instance, to your modem). It's a more secure bypass solution than bridging mode.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Here's the Microsoft answer on how to physically fix it (I think, I didn't actually read it).

Network address translation: How to avoid common problems

Basically what's happening is this: Your modem is attempting to assign IP addresses and perform translations, but apparently so is your router (or even a step further on the other side of the demarc). Sometimes this will work out for you, sometimes not (this is usually a VPN issue). One of the biggest issues with it is it adjusts the packet size and sometimes those packets will end up rejected as a result. By placing the router into bridge mode, it will automatically forward all IP packets to your modem for translations. If you place it in bridge mode, the router will have no layer 3 responsibilities.

Setting up port forwarding is leaving your router with the layer 3 responsibilities, but telling it that every time it receives information from a certain product (let's say, internet traffic from your laptop), it's to automatically push it out to a predefined location via an assigned port (in this instance, to your modem). It's a more secure bypass solution than bridging mode.
Translated. Don't you just hate when this happens...

Old 06-28-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Translated. Don't you just hate when this happens...
Ahh yes, good catch. Fingers faster than mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers