U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 AM
 
10,754 posts, read 18,012,225 times
Reputation: 10244

Advertisements

My shop does webhosting along with other IT services. I just built an 8TB RAID 6 box running Windows Storage Server to replace our 3 aging data storage boxes. With all that space I was thinking about new services we could provide and online backup (like carbonite) came to mind. Anyone do this? What client software do you use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2011, 04:35 PM
 
3,118 posts, read 3,933,899 times
Reputation: 2869
Let me ask you this (and disregard this if you're talking about consumer backup solutions as opposed to business backup solutions).

Let's say I'm a client, and I've narrowed to 2 choices. I can either:

A) Store all of my critical business files with a local vendor, whom may or may not meet regulatory compliance standards, and who may or may not exist at some point down the road (I'm not knocking you here, I'm just throwing it out there) or

B) I could go buy a DBS from Barracuda Networks, have first party control over my backups, and know that these backups are being stored offsite in such a way that it meets all compliance issues and by which the data will never "go away".

If I'm the business, I'm going with B. I'll applaud you thinking outside the box, but there's not a lot of market for mom-and-pop backup services, at least as it pertains to business clients. And on the customer side....external HDD's are so cheap these days that most people will buy a 1TB WD drive and then snag a copy of Acronis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 04:46 PM
 
10,754 posts, read 18,012,225 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Let me ask you this (and disregard this if you're talking about consumer backup solutions as opposed to business backup solutions).

Let's say I'm a client, and I've narrowed to 2 choices. I can either:

A) Store all of my critical business files with a local vendor, whom may or may not meet regulatory compliance standards, and who may or may not exist at some point down the road (I'm not knocking you here, I'm just throwing it out there) or

B) I could go buy a DBS from Barracuda Networks, have first party control over my backups, and know that these backups are being stored offsite in such a way that it meets all compliance issues and by which the data will never "go away".

If I'm the business, I'm going with B. I'll applaud you thinking outside the box, but there's not a lot of market for mom-and-pop backup services, at least as it pertains to business clients. And on the customer side....external HDD's are so cheap these days that most people will buy a 1TB WD drive and then snag a copy of Acronis.
Agreed on all points, but most of our clients are so clueless that they can't deal with doing their own backups to external drives and won't pay for a premium solution, we'd have no problem signing up many of them. We have a hard time just getting them to change their tapes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 06:35 PM
 
28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Reputation: 37316
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Agreed on all points, but most of our clients are so clueless that they can't deal with doing their own backups to external drives and won't pay for a premium solution, we'd have no problem signing up many of them. We have a hard time just getting them to change their tapes.
Yeah, I know what you mean.

I had a client with a tape backup I installed for them. Every time I went over I checked it and usually found some problems. Every time I did I talked with them about it because they were things they should have been catching.

During one long stretch when I hadn't been there they had a problem and needed their QuickBooks database restored. I popped in the most recent tape and found data that was 6 weeks old. After asking the owner, then the accountant (who was responsible for the tape backup because it was on her PC) what was going on, I learned that the tape backup had been giving an error and stopped before writing any data to the tape for all that time.

I turned to the owner and said, "And during all that time no one thought to tell me?"

His accountant got in a heap of trouble.

They had to rebuild the last six weeks manually and it cost him a small fortune to get it keyed in.

After the data was up to date I set them up with Carbonite. The server and his PC. They finally figured out that the "need to keep it in house" was not worth the problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 08:19 PM
 
3,118 posts, read 3,933,899 times
Reputation: 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Agreed on all points, but most of our clients are so clueless that they can't deal with doing their own backups to external drives and won't pay for a premium solution, we'd have no problem signing up many of them. We have a hard time just getting them to change their tapes.

That's why I specifically pointed out Barracuda Networks. The DBS itself automatically pushes the backups to 2 secure offsite locations without any business intervention (as opposed to swapping out the tapes, going to the bank, standing in line, getting someone to let you into the vault, putting them in the safe deposit box, etc.), as well as storing a local copy on the DBS itself. It's an absolutely brilliant product. I can't speak highly enough about it.

Though you may have something with the "clueless" angle. There are probably a number of places that are completely unaware that there are devices like Barracuda's out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 08:40 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,345,192 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
That's why I specifically pointed out Barracuda Networks. The DBS itself automatically pushes the backups to 2 secure offsite locations without any business intervention (as opposed to swapping out the tapes, going to the bank, standing in line, getting someone to let you into the vault, putting them in the safe deposit box, etc.), as well as storing a local copy on the DBS itself. It's an absolutely brilliant product. I can't speak highly enough about it.

Though you may have something with the "clueless" angle. There are probably a number of places that are completely unaware that there are devices like Barracuda's out there.
Cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM
 
10,754 posts, read 18,012,225 times
Reputation: 10244
According to their website it starts at $50 per month per 100GB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 PM
 
3,118 posts, read 3,933,899 times
Reputation: 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
According to their website it starts at $50 per month per 100GB
^This. Though I'm told you can actually negotiate with them and get it as low as about $35:100GB. I also know of at least one friend of mine that simply uses the appliance without any of the offsite offerings, instead just relying on the near-line backups done through SSFHS (though I would not recommend this, but that's just because I'm pretty anal about best practices). For solutions like these, I would at least recommend to a client that they identify mission critical or data that falls under PCI/SOX purview to be backed up into the offsite facilities even if they limit their full backups to the appliance located directly on site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 AM
 
28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Reputation: 37316
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
According to their website it starts at $50 per month per 100GB
How many of your clients would fork over $50 a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 09:02 AM
 
10,754 posts, read 18,012,225 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
How many of your clients would fork over $50 a month?
Not many of mine, and that's the whole idea, offer the service at a good discount to what's available, say $25 or $30 a month. I've already got the space and a 50/20 internet connection, it'll be just additional monthly income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:31 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top