Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 05:16 PM

749 posts, read 920,382 times

Advertisements

I am not computer savvy, and was just learning Windows 8, when they forced upon me the 8.1 version. I want to delete it, but I went to google and it is very difficult to get rid of it because of all those apps. Thank you for your help.

This is not for beginners......very frustrated.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 06:02 PM

847 posts, read 766,496 times
What do you mean by Delete?
do you mean reverting to Windows 8?
dowgrade to Windows 7?

Install linux instead?

It may be easier for you to configure your pc to just stay in Desktop Enviornment and it will pretty much feel like you are windows 7 (except the start button)

Old 09-28-2014, 06:26 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
There's not a huge difference between 8 and 8.1. I don't think it would be worth it to try to downgrade. I agree that it is best to just stay in desktop mode if the Metro mode is giving you trouble.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:46 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
If you have a name brand computer, you can't. You won't find drivers. The alternative is to download the following program and it will mimic Win7.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

Old 09-29-2014, 07:17 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
8.1 is head and shoulders better then 8. You must mean going back to 7???

Old 09-29-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
What do you mean by Delete?
do you mean reverting to Windows 8?
dowgrade to Windows 7?

Install linux instead?

It may be easier for you to configure your pc to just stay in Desktop Enviornment and it will pretty much feel like you are windows 7 (except the start button)

On Windows 8, my photos are in my Desktop placed by a friend that has moved out of the state. Now, I am trying to learn 8.1, and I am supposed to transfer all my Desktop photos to a One Drive App., which would not be so bad, if Microsoft was more detailed in their instructions, so that beginners can follow them. Lots of the instructions are not familiar to me, because I do not own an I-pad phone, so I do not know what it is that they are talking about.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:04 PM

847 posts, read 766,496 times
There is nothing that I am aware on windows 8.1 that forces you to move your photos to onedrive.

OneDrive just helps you to have access to your photos form everywhere and in case your computer dies then you have a backup.

how to user one drive. go to hotmail.com, outlook.com create an account (it is an email address)
perhaps {FirstName}.{MI}.{LastName}@outlook.com

then you will need to configure windows to logon using your online account.
How To Convert Your Local Windows 8 Account Into Microsoft Online Account

in that case the one drive app (for desktop and the tile world) will automatically
just connect to one drive.

aslo when you click on my computer or network icon in windows explorer you will see onedrive as an option.

It is basically a virtual harddrive that is hosted in the "cloud"

Old 09-30-2014, 07:20 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Yea, MS is ASKING you if you want to move your stuff into SkyDrive. You are not REQUIRED to do so.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:38 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Windows 8.1 is faster than 7 on start up, coming out of hibernate and shut down. Learn the minor adjustments and you will like it much better than 7.
You could always wait for the upcoming Windows 9.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
There is nothing that I am aware on windows 8.1 that forces you to move your photos to onedrive.

OneDrive just helps you to have access to your photos form everywhere and in case your computer dies then you have a backup.

how to user one drive. go to hotmail.com, outlook.com create an account (it is an email address)
perhaps {FirstName}.{MI}.{LastName}@outlook.com

then you will need to configure windows to logon using your online account.
How To Convert Your Local Windows 8 Account Into Microsoft Online Account

in that case the one drive app (for desktop and the tile world) will automatically
just connect to one drive.

aslo when you click on my computer or network icon in windows explorer you will see onedrive as an option.

It is basically a virtual harddrive that is hosted in the "cloud"
Thank you so much Eric. I was under the impression that it was mandatory to place all the photos I have on my desktop on One Drive. But, you said it is not necessary, so that sounds great!

Before 8.1, my 8.0 Windows was easier for me to handle. I want to be able to upload photos using the Memory card out of my camera, and I need to be able to share those photos here in City-Data, but, I have been unable to follow the same instructions I had written on a notebook from before, since 8.1 was downloaded, not by my choice.

Here are the instructions I have to upload photos from my camera:

I had uploaded before 163 pictures, which I have in Desktop Mode, with no problems until 8.1 came in.
But, I took 10 more photos recently, and wanted to upload those, as well. SO.......

1. Insert card into computer slot (SDHC)

2. Window will pop up, which is supposed to be "Removable Disk F" ( BUT, no window pop up. I waited for 40 minutes, finally, I took the memory card out.) I have no idea what happened.

3. Double left-click "open folder to view files." (located on the bottom of the window.

4. Double left-click DGIM

5. Left Click to Choose a folder (pictures will appear)

6. On keyboard press CTRL + A. This will highlight all pictures.

7. Press CTRL +C to copy.

8. Open picture folder on Desktop.

9. Press CTRL + V to paste.

The above used to work for me, prior to 8.1.

Any ideas as to what has happened will be greatly appreciated.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers