U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 11:27 PM

15,243 posts, read 20,192,741 times

Advertisements

My email account was hacked or spoofed a few days ago. It sent out "You've Won" phony emails to a gazillion people but didnt send any emails to the people in my address book. My email owner froze my account because of all the spam and it took forever for me to get my account unfrozen. I'm still getting "mail delivery failed" notices for emails that were sent a few days ago.

I think the hacker did it by getting into my yahoo email account, which was tied to my other email account. I changed my password and ran Kaspersky, IObit Malware FIghter and Malware Bites Anti-Malware several times to make sure that I dont have a virus or spyware.

However, something very strange happened a few moments ago. I was at a website (shutterfly.com) and suddenly my Activity Bar started scrolling through all my bank and credit card account webpages without my doing anything at all. I closed out the session right away and ran all my anti-spyware again. All appears to be clean.

I must admit that I'm frazzled about seeing the URL's of all my accounts showing up in the Activity Bar. They were each there for just an instant so no one would have had time to read those pages -- but I'm concerned that the URL's could have been harvested for later use.

Are any of you familiar with anything like this? My computer is six years old and acts up at times so it's possible (and I'm hoping) that either this was just a fluke and/or a glitch. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 01:03 AM

Perhaps I should call it the Progress Bar. It's the task bar at the bottom of the screen that indicates the URL of the website to which you're going, etc. And I'm using Firefox, if that matters.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:25 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,707,293 times
Sounds unlikely, if indeed those pages were loading, the browser would have rendered them. The only things that show down at the bottom bar are things that your current active browser window/tab are loading. Are you sure you saw what you saw? Please don't think I'm calling you a liar, I am not by any means, I just want to make sure that ad.chance.com didn't look like chase.com or something.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks, kazyn. I'm sure that what I saw scrolling in the Activity/Progress bar was the URLs for each of my bank/credit card accounts. I even saw the https for each secure URL. I sat, too transfixed to do anything, for a few seconds.

I realize "The only things that show down at the bottom bar are things that your current active browser window/tab are loading". That's why I was so shocked, especially because I had done nothing to initiate it and also because nothing was happening on my window.

Maybe this is a glitch and/or has happened in the past but I just wasnt aware of it. The lack of replies suggests that it's somewhat unusual, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers