U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2011, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 23,401,392 times
Reputation: 14344

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Like I said before, I'd rather not do it manually.
Not sure what more you want. No matter what option you use, you will have to do some manual work.

I don't think there is a button to click that will automatically turn multiple items into hyperlinks. Is this really too much work?:

1. Open Word document with links
2. Press ctrl + A to select All items
3. Right click on choose Copy
4. Open Excel
5. Click in Cell A1 and choose Paste
6. If the link is not the full URL, do a Find/Replace for www and replace it with h t t p :// w w w (I put spaces so it doesn't turn into a link)
6. Enter =HYPERLINK(A1) in cell A2
7. Go to the lower right hand corner of A2, right click and drag all the way down the sheet to auto fill the formula.
8. Test a link
9. Copy the links back into Word

That's less than 10 steps and 2 of them are to open the applications. Heck, forward me the document and I will do it for you myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2011, 09:30 PM
 
28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Reputation: 37316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Like I said before, I'd rather not do it manually.
You obviously do not understand find/replace. Good luck with your quest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,720 posts, read 4,868,583 times
Reputation: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You obviously do not understand find/replace. Good luck with your quest.
You might want to look back at the other posts on here. People gave ideas on how to avoid doing manually. So please, don't tell me that I don't understand. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 05:58 AM
 
Location: Closer than you think !
445 posts, read 1,409,251 times
Reputation: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
You might want to look back at the other posts on here. People gave ideas on how to avoid doing manually. So please, don't tell me that I don't understand. Thank you.
From your comments, it is no leap to think you do not understand Find/Replace/All but by using Excel instead of Word you gain the advantage of being able to have the hyperlink in a very narrow column and use the rest of the cells for description.. I tried messing in word (since I do not use Word 2007) and found it much harder to activate a hyperlink than in Excel. (I guess I just don't understand)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 PM
 
28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Reputation: 37316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
You might want to look back at the other posts on here. People gave ideas on how to avoid doing manually. So please, don't tell me that I don't understand. Thank you.
There wasn't a single recommendation here that doesn't require some manual input on your part. What you don't understand is the amount of "manual" work required between the differing methods. Find/replace is so easy and requires such a small amount of input on your part that rejecting it as a possibility does show that you don't understand how it works.

And in case you missed it, it's not just my opinion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Yep, search/replace would work. Sometimes, I forget the easy solutions. I was thinking of a more complicated way to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,720 posts, read 4,868,583 times
Reputation: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
There wasn't a single recommendation here that doesn't require some manual input on your part. What you don't understand is the amount of "manual" work required between the differing methods. Find/replace is so easy and requires such a small amount of input on your part that rejecting it as a possibility does show that you don't understand how it works.

And in case you missed it, it's not just my opinion:
I saw plenty of Excel suggestions. So I am not sure what point you're trying to make here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 04:46 PM
 
2,182 posts, read 4,707,639 times
Reputation: 1206
The find/replace method has a "replace all" button, so you really only have to click once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 06:54 PM
 
28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Reputation: 37316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I saw plenty of Excel suggestions. So I am not sure what point you're trying to make here.
So you consider typing www. in one box then http;//www. into another then clicking Replace All once more work than copying it all into Excel, adding info in a cell, do some click and drag, and copying it back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Not sure what more you want. No matter what option you use, you will have to do some manual work.

I don't think there is a button to click that will automatically turn multiple items into hyperlinks. Is this really too much work?:

1. Open Word document with links
2. Press ctrl + A to select All items
3. Right click on choose Copy
4. Open Excel
5. Click in Cell A1 and choose Paste
6. If the link is not the full URL, do a Find/Replace for www and replace it with h t t p :// w w w (I put spaces so it doesn't turn into a link)
6. Enter =HYPERLINK(A1) in cell A2
7. Go to the lower right hand corner of A2, right click and drag all the way down the sheet to auto fill the formula.
8. Test a link
9. Copy the links back into Word

That's less than 10 steps and 2 of them are to open the applications. Heck, forward me the document and I will do it for you myself.
No problem. I'll leave you to your own devices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,720 posts, read 4,868,583 times
Reputation: 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No problem. I'll leave you to your own devices.
You know I was referring to not using Word to do the work manually, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2011, 04:44 PM
 
2,182 posts, read 4,707,639 times
Reputation: 1206
All Tek_Freek is saying is if you open the word document, go to "Find And Replace," type www. in the "find" field and http:// in the "replace field" and hit "replace all" it will fix all the links at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:12 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top