U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:46 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,771,609 times

Advertisements

My friend has XP and we were using a USB connection to a camera, listed as J: Then we did Safely remove Hardware and unplugged it.

At that point, F, G,H and I stopped appearing in Windows Explorer. We tried to use a card reader but it didn't light up or show up at all on the screen, so we had to reboot.

Isn't there a way to get F G H and I back, without rebooting?

And should you always use Safely Remove Hardware, or can you just take out the USB or the card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 PM

10,754 posts, read 18,012,225 times
You should be in the habit of using the remove hardware wizard to prevent corruption of data on the USB devices, the problem is you used it on the wrong drive. Next time double check the camera drive letter and be sure your ejecting the correct drive and not the memory card reader.

To reinstall the drives without rebooting, right click My Computer and select properties, then go to the hardware tab, then select device manager, at the top of the window click either file or action (can't remember which), and select scan for hardware changes, the card reader drive letters should re-appear.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
You should be in the habit of using the remove hardware wizard to prevent corruption of data on the USB devices, the problem is you used it on the wrong drive. Next time double check the camera drive letter and be sure your ejecting the correct drive and not the memory card reader.
I right clicked on Safely Remove Hardware and the a popup menu with only one option appeared. It was "Safely Remove Hardware F, G, H, I." There was no way to select one drive.

Are you saying I should not click on that system tray icon, but instead click on the drive in Windows Explorer?

Last edited by robertpasa; 07-08-2011 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: to add the last line

Old 07-08-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I right clicked on Safely Remove Hardware and the a popup menu with only one option appeared. It was "Safely Remove Hardware F, G, H, I." There was no way to select one drive.
Next time left click, you'll get a popup right down there by the icon that lets you select a drive letter to eject.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Next time left click, you'll get a popup right down there by the icon that lets you select a drive letter to eject.
When you say "Eject" when talking about a USB camera or card reader - is that what you should do right before removing the USB plug or card?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
When you say "Eject" when talking about a USB camera or card reader - is that what you should do right before removing the USB plug or card?
Yes, same as safely remove

Old 07-11-2011, 08:43 AM

11,834 posts, read 13,971,314 times
I never "safely remove" anything.
It's a farce.
Just don't unplug something when you are writing to it.

I use flash drives and SD cards almost daily and have never had a problem.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:57 PM

28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I never "safely remove" anything.
It's a farce.
Just don't unplug something when you are writing to it.

I use flash drives and SD cards almost daily and have never had a problem.
Great advice on a forum where newbies are looking for help. Not.

Not even a good brag as the rest of us are not impressed.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:34 AM

11,834 posts, read 13,971,314 times
Yea, cuz I am trying to impress you all with me elite skillz.
"Look I can pull a drive out and not SAFELY REMOVE IT!"
I am just stating what I do. It has never hurt my camera, my MP3 players, my memory sticks, others memory sticks.
It is a useless and unneeded step.

And I am not alone.

Is it reaaaaallllly necessary to "Safely Remove" a Flashdrive? - Tech Support Guy Forums

Safely Remove Hardware was invented because flash memory was very slow in the beginning of its life. To ensure people would NOT pull a device out while it was being written to, MS came up with this.
It is akin to the sign on the pop machine that says "if you rock this it could fall on you".
Just use common sense. as I said: don't remove it when writing to it. With today's OS'es you know when it is done.
This was useful with Win98 1st Edition... it's time has come...and gone.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:48 AM

11,738 posts, read 11,313,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
..... It has never hurt my camera, my MP3 players, my memory sticks, others memory sticks. ..... This was useful with Win98 1st Edition... it's time has come...and gone.
Obviously, it won't hurt you camera or MP3 players. I once had to reformat a flash drive after I unplugged it without "safely removing" it. These problems CAN happen. I'd rather be safe about it.

Win 98 did not support USB until 2nd Edition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or