U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 02:22 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,681,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
It's my original OS install since I've built the computer Dec 2008. So it has lots of programs, and 3 antivirus. I initially thought Steam was slowing down the boot, that's why at first I hated Steam. But it's only a 500 GB partition.
You might remove two of those antiviruses to see if that helps. Most AV apps will tell you not to have more than one installed, since each will want to scan every file, folder, etc. Plus they are probably all scanning links on the internet, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 04:00 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,330,670 times
Even my new computer is now slow at startup - about 6 minutes. I just load it up with lots of programs. Then load up is just slow. I wish I could get those 240GB SSDs but they're unreliable.

Just move my 440GB Steam Games folder to a 2TB W: drive. Took like 6 hrs. Then the games had to update settings. Tried some games - they kept their previous savegaves, except BFBC2. Now I have 1.5TB left for any future Steam game sales.

I was disappointed my new 7200 SATA 6gb/s hd got a WEI of 5.9, same as Sata 3gb/s hd scores.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:03 PM

14,781 posts, read 36,588,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I was disappointed my new 7200 SATA 6gb/s hd got a WEI of 5.9, same as Sata 3gb/s hd scores.
Your WEI score for large mechanical hard drives will never improve over 5.9. There is a mechanical limit in how fast the data can be read and transferred. Something like a VelociRaptor 10k RPM drive that is only 450GB or so can get better than a 5.9, but not by much. SSD's are a completely different story and you can easily break the 5.9 WEI score with those.

This is also why SATA3 isn't worth anything on a mechanical drive, they simply can't take advantage of the extra bandwidth. I guess the point would be, don't get hung up on the WEI score and don't automatically think that the latest and greatest is actually way better in every case.

As for Steam, I really like it. I was also hesitant to do the download only thing, but I find it works really well. I also enjoy the fact that you can find so many older titles very easily. My parents had Sid Meier's Pirates on their computer. My son really liked the game. I casually looked for it, but could never find it. Finally checked Steam, found the game in less than a minute, paid $9 for it and we were good to go. The sales are fantastic as well, good enough that there was one game, Company of Heroes that I had on DVD, but just went ahead and bought the bundle anyway as it was much easier to manage them this way.

Steam, IMO is showing how the future is going to work in terms of software. Especially considering that many mobo's now have a firmware OS built in that can connect to the web. Just build your new PC, boot to the firmware OS and head to a website and download the main OS you want.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:24 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,572,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Your WEI score for large mechanical hard drives will never improve over 5.9. There is a mechanical limit in how fast the data can be read and transferred. Something like a VelociRaptor 10k RPM drive that is only 450GB or so can get better than a 5.9, but not by much. SSD's are a completely different story and you can easily break the 5.9 WEI score with those.
Don't think I ever paid attention to that before. My laptop has a 5.6 WEI for the hard drive (standard laptop drive), and a 7.4 on my desktop with a SSD.

Quote:
Steam, IMO is showing how the future is going to work in terms of software. Especially considering that many mobo's now have a firmware OS built in that can connect to the web. Just build your new PC, boot to the firmware OS and head to a website and download the main OS you want.
The problem will be competition, which seems to be appearing for steam. They are some big titles that won't be available on steam (SW:the old republic and battlefield 3)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers