Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times

Advertisements

Their "collection" sale today was just too tempting. Picked up the 2K collection, the THQ collection, the Paradox collection, the Strategy First collection and the Meridian 4 collection. Steam says it's going to take 9 days to download all of the games, heh.

The beauty of Steam is they put games at a price point that detracts people (I'm not, you know, saying "me" specifically, or anything, but, you know, "people") from just pirating these things. At a couple hundred bucks for every one of those games? Worth it to not have to deal with the hassle of torrenting all of them to my seedbox (erm, I mean, "someone's" seedbox), checking for viruses, and then downloading them to my network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 06:02 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
We've been on Steam since the beginning (I think '03 or '04), and used WON for Valve games prior to that.

I wouldn't dream of buying a retail disk game anymore. Having everything auto updated instead of having to go run around the internet and find patches is the deal maker for me.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:54 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I have mixed feelings about steam. It's a good service, but I'm not a fan having to download everything. I wouldn't be looking forward to redownloading all my games if my computer crashes.

I typically buy games that are on sale off of steam. Any game I really want I'll just buy from the store as I don't want to wait for a download. I use steam for the middle of the road games that I'd like to try, but don't want bad enough that I don't mind waiting for a deal to popup.
I have so many good games from Steam to play and conquer that I can wait for a hot new title to depreciate until it's cheap, - and well patched. By then there also would be free game hints websites on it, - like happened with video hints for Portal 2 when I got stuck.

The game Backup & Restore option should stop the need to redownload games on a new OS install. I will try a Restore when I get my new hd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That logic is flawed. SATA3 will do nothing for your hard drives. SATA3 is strictly beneficial for SSDs only at this time.
I heard hds have a mechanical limit, but I just hope my WEI improves. I guess my 7200 rpm drive will run hot though.

I think my strategy for my new OS 3TB install will be this: 2TB & 600GB partitions, 100GB system reserved space. OS boot & programs will be on the 600GB partition, Steam Games will be on the 2TB partition, which will be used for data storage too.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I wouldn't be looking forward to redownloading all my games if my computer crashes.
Of course you wouldn't but without Steam what is the alternative?

Digging thru game boxes, swapping CD/DVDs, typing in software keys, and clicking "next" dozens of times for a few days to do it manually sounds far more painful than recovering if you have your games on Steam.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Of course you wouldn't but without Steam what is the alternative?

Digging thru game boxes, swapping CD/DVDs, typing in software keys, and clicking "next" dozens of times for a few days to do it manually sounds far more painful than recovering if you have your games on Steam.
Exactly, and then going and hunting down all of the patches that have come out since the game was released, downloading them (from a file sharing site that makes you stand in line and watch adds), and installing them one by one. Every time I think about reloading COD W@W (for some zombies) I remember that I have the retail version, and there were at least 6 patches .... )

We have 3 Steam accounts in the house: I've reloaded / replaced these machines countless times over the years (especially the kids machines), usually you only need a couple games right away to get back up and running. Once "what you are playing this week" is installed, the rest can be brought back over a few days.

It is important to back up your game saves and configs though (if you care about them), since steam doesn't save that for most games.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I have so many good games from Steam to play and conquer that I can wait for a hot new title to depreciate until it's cheap, - and well patched.
This has become my strategy as well. There isn't that much that I'm willing to pay full price for anymore. (a couple of multiplayer titles that I wanted to jump right into while my buddies were playing)

Plus I'm grabbing tons of older single player titles that I really never considered when they were new. Not much risk buying last years hot titles for $5 or $10, instead of $50 or $60.

Also, for those that are new to Steam; The Christmas sale is as big, or bigger that the summer sale, so save your $$$!

Old 07-12-2011, 03:38 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
You have 69 games on Steam?!?
So, is that the story behind your C-D handle? I always thought it was something sexual....ehem.

Anyhow, I think it is time that somebody hacked Jesse's Steam account!!

Old 07-12-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
You have 69 games on Steam?!?
So, is that the story behind your C-D handle? I always thought it was something sexual....ehem.

Anyhow, I think it is time that somebody hacked Jesse's Steam account!!
I just discovered the power of buying cheap from Steam in April. At first I was hesitant on buying download only games, but when you get a $30 store game for $5 [Sniper: Ghost Warrior] - the savings can't be beat!

Some games I had doubts on whether they were worth my money. So I torrented them first. But then they went real cheap on Steam and so I bought them.

Torrenting a game can sometimes be dangerous. I got a nasty Trojan from a torrented video game that I removed with Spyware DR. It damaged my Vista OS and now I can never do a Windows Update on it.

Jesse69 handle -- 1969 is the year I was born.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:28 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I just discovered the power of buying cheap from Steam in April. At first I was hesitant on buying download only games, but when you get a $30 store game for $5 [Sniper: Ghost Warrior] - the savings can't be beat!

Some games I had doubts on whether they were worth my money. So I torrented them first. But then they went real cheap on Steam and so I bought them.

Torrenting a game can sometimes be dangerous. I got a nasty Trojan from a torrented video game that I removed with Spyware DR. It damaged my Vista OS and now I can never do a Windows Update on it.

Jesse69 handle -- 1969 is the year I was born.
Try this to fix the Windows update issue
How do I reset Windows Update components?

Old 07-12-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Try this to fix the Windows update issue
How do I reset Windows Update components?
Thanks for this link! I tried it and it worked! Now my Vista 64 is downloading 98 updates since 4-10-2010! Was damaged by the Win32 Rbot.gen Trojan from a Tank Combat video game torrent on install.

Only bad thing is that this OS hd install takes 10 minutes to bootup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers