U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 08:43 PM

2,494 posts, read 4,767,476 times

Advertisements

Today my parents' DSL modem died. We were using IE when it started saying something about passwords and started running a password reset program. We were confused since we had changed nothing. The ATT page started saying we need to update software and wound up in an endless loop. I called ATT support and got a mostly useless voice system having to do with passwords. I pressed zero at one point, and got a real person.

If you can press zero to talk to a real person, it should say so. It was just my own luck that I knew. If I hadn't gotten to a real person, I would have been totally stuck. The person was nice and said our modem was failing (it was in fact 6 years old) and I would have to buy a new one at the ATT store. Fortunately it wasn't too far. The man in the store was helpful and the new modem was $100. They only make one kind of modem.

When I installed it, I couldn't connect and automatically got to an ATT installation page. It said to click on the yellow bar first, but there was never a yellow bar. That's great. I again called the voice support thing, and once again I had to press zero to get a real person. That person told me to go to a URL and talked me through the setup. It then worked okay.

My biggest problem here is that the voice system doesn't SAY you can press zero to talk to a real person. If I hadn't known that, the thing never would have been activated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 10:12 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,260,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
My biggest problem here is that the voice system doesn't SAY you can press zero to talk to a real person.
They don't want people to talk to their employees, as they have to pay them, provide benefits, etc. Feel fortunate you actually got someone that could help.

AT&T is no different than any other company, they are all doing it, but AT&T is trying very hard. Not long ago I saw where it took someone 6 hours to cancel their phone service, because they were moving to a different city.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 PM

445 posts, read 1,408,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
They don't want people to talk to their employees, as they have to pay them, provide benefits, etc. Feel fortunate you actually got someone that could help.

AT&T is no different than any other company, they are all doing it, but AT&T is trying very hard. Not long ago I saw where it took someone 6 hours to cancel their phone service, because they were moving to a different city.
Problems with AT$T ??? I am shocked When I have more time I will tell you about my experience - just trying to cancel my land line long distance plan X 18,646,466

And the best part is the hard way to go I gave them when they were in this area to replace a pole... X 3,678

Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,121,960 times
Yea, I have one of those stories too. I think I spent over 20 hours on the phone over 10 days due to a problem (on their end) with internet. I had enough, and the next person they transferred me to, which was the wrong department as they always do, I canceled it on the spot.

It almost wanted to make me drive to the first Att kiosk I saw, and destroy it.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:14 AM

3,743 posts, read 11,462,773 times
Wow, you had to buy a modem? I would have demanded they send you a replacement or threatened to switch carriers - $100 is outrageous imo.

Also, if you ever ned to dial cust support, http://gethuman.com/

Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 AM

18,511 posts, read 55,435,808 times
AT&T should have the catch phrase "Reach out and smack someone." If customers could reach through the phone and smack the board of directors upside the head a few times it would be a better company. There are so many ways that company infuriates me that I try not to think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers