U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:27 PM

303 posts, read 1,525,434 times

Advertisements

I'm not tech-savvy at all so hoping someone here can help me out in plain language, I'll try to include what seems like important info.

Bought my laptop late in 2008, it's HP Pavillion 64-bit w/ Windows Vista & use Internet Explorer 8 (tried upgrading to 9 back in May but created all kinds of problems so uninstalled it, went back to 8.) It was running fine for days but then 2 days ago this HP Health Check came up which recommends updates & which I usually ignore, but this time I actually started updating something they said was important. But then I tried to cancel the update before it was completed & since then I'm getting a warning upon starting up my PC:

WARNING
The Catalyst (R) Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter.
Please update your ATI graphics driver or enable your ATI adapter using the Displays Manager.
(have to press OK to get rid of this message)

Just kept pressing OK & ignoring this, but then this morning my pc was shutting down to complete some updates, didn't realize it at the time so I turned it off by mistake -- maybe it didn't complete the updates? And now, I'm getting slow start-ups & everything's slow instead of fast as it had been.

Questions-- Do I need a Catalyst Control Center? Do I need this ATI graphics driver or adaptor? (I don't care about making changes in my onscreen displays & I don't do any games online.)

I know I probably sound very ignorant here & I've tried googling to get answers, but get even more confused. In the past, I've seen that HP laptops are overloaded w/ extra programs that are not needed & take up too much memory, slow everything down. I've already uninstalled HP Games & a few other things. Can I uninstall something to get rid of this particular problem? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 08:33 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,968,972 times
When it does boot into Windows does it look like it used to?
Just wondering because Windows may have switched to a generic driver that would lower the resolution.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
When it does boot into Windows does it look like it used to?
Just wondering because Windows may have switched to a generic driver that would lower the resolution.
Thanks for replying. When I turn on my laptop, the screen looks exactly the same, no change. But I keep getting that message & now a few days later everything is very slow. I just tried doing a system restore, hoping that would fix things, going back to the restore point that morning before the ATI update but got this message:

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files & settings were not changed.
Details: An unspecified error ocurred during system restore.

Got this message months ago when I tried system restore, wondering why I can't complete this! My computer still slow, want to get it back to the fast speed it had just a few days ago!

Old 07-15-2011, 03:32 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,968,972 times
Did you try updATING THE VIDEO DRIVERS AS THAT FIRST MESSAGE ASKS???
(accidental caps)

AMD Graphics Drivers & Software

Old 07-15-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Did you try updATING THE VIDEO DRIVERS AS THAT FIRST MESSAGE ASKS???
(accidental caps)

AMD Graphics Drivers & Software

Thanks for the link, I'll look into that info.

But I just don't understand about the need to update this-- my on-screen display was perfectly fine till a few days ago & everything on my laptop was running nice & fast, but then I got that HP Health Check notice that I should update this-- WHY? Again, I DON"T care about being able to adjust/change my onscreen display & I NEVER do any games online or need fancy graphics (I'm a female in my mid-50s & do very basic stuff online!) I'll look into it, but it takes me HOURS of reading online to try to understand this stuff, then I still feel confused!

How about if I just System Restore to back before I paid attention to that HP Health Check, everything was working fine before that, super-fast! Why does updating something lead to everything running slowly? Seems to be a very common occurence, is there an explanation for this?

I've read on various pc forums that HP Pavillion 64-bit w/ Windows Vista is well-known for loading all kinds of unnecessary stuff on their pcs & that HP Health Checks should just be ignored, maybe even eliminate it off the pc completely. Also, saw some advice about doing System Restore in Safe Mode, apparently many other Windows Vista users have had the same error message & Safe Mode corrects this?

Sorry if I sound impatient & frustrated but I just want a simple pc without all these complications!
(Do I sound like a real old-geezer now??)

Old 07-15-2011, 06:34 PM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Thanks for the link, I'll look into that info.

But I just don't understand about the need to update this-- my on-screen display was perfectly fine till a few days ago & everything on my laptop was running nice & fast, but then I got that HP Health Check notice that I should update this-- WHY? Again, I DON"T care about being able to adjust/change my onscreen display & I NEVER do any games online or need fancy graphics (I'm a female in my mid-50s & do very basic stuff online!) I'll look into it, but it takes me HOURS of reading online to try to understand this stuff, then I still feel confused!

How about if I just System Restore to back before I paid attention to that HP Health Check, everything was working fine before that, super-fast! Why does updating something lead to everything running slowly? Seems to be a very common occurence, is there an explanation for this?

I've read on various pc forums that HP Pavillion 64-bit w/ Windows Vista is well-known for loading all kinds of unnecessary stuff on their pcs & that HP Health Checks should just be ignored, maybe even eliminate it off the pc completely. Also, saw some advice about doing System Restore in Safe Mode, apparently many other Windows Vista users have had the same error message & Safe Mode corrects this?

Sorry if I sound impatient & frustrated but I just want a simple pc without all these complications!
(Do I sound like a real old-geezer now??)
You got that update because HP doesn't know what the Hell they are doing.

I removed the software and haven't seen a single problem...

If I remember correctly I used Ccleaner to remove it.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You got that update because HP doesn't know what the Hell they are doing.

I removed the software and haven't seen a single problem...

If I remember correctly I used Ccleaner to remove it.
What particular software did you remove? the HP Health Check option? or the ATI software? And why did you have to use CCleaner to remove it?

I've just removed or "uninstalled" different programs off my laptop, was that the wrong way to do it? Confused Again!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:46 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. I use Ccleaner to remove (actually disable so I can enable them later if I need to) programs from start up as well as uninstall them from the computer. I use it because I find it to be easier and faster than Windows. I also use it to clean temp files from the computer.

I deleted the HP Health Check program, and I only have the ATI installer listed in Add/Remove programs. I don't like the HP program because it decides to download and install things I don't want or need, and I don't need all the bells and whistles ATI Catalyst provides. I have a tendency to keep Windows running as slim as possible. Windows 7, BTW.

For example, I have a total of 3 items in my start up: A text file of reminders I created in Word and load every time Windows starts, the QuickBooks Updater, and the Sidebar for Windows. Everything else has been disabled.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. I use Ccleaner to remove (actually disable so I can enable them later if I need to) programs from start up as well as uninstall them from the computer. I use it because I find it to be easier and faster than Windows. I also use it to clean temp files from the computer.

I deleted the HP Health Check program, and I only have the ATI installer listed in Add/Remove programs. I don't like the HP program because it decides to download and install things I don't want or need, and I don't need all the bells and whistles ATI Catalyst provides. I have a tendency to keep Windows running as slim as possible. Windows 7, BTW.

For example, I have a total of 3 items in my start up: A text file of reminders I created in Word and load every time Windows starts, the QuickBooks Updater, and the Sidebar for Windows. Everything else has been disabled.
Thanks for the additional info-- I was worried about deleting that HP Health Check program, they make it sound so important! But I'll delete it now. I also don't want all the "bells & whistles"!

Appreciate your help, but what is CCleaner? Pros & cons of using it? And could you explain the differences between "removing" vs. "disabling" (temporarily?) a program, how to do this? Deleting or Uninstalling vs. listing in Add/Remove? Where is the Add/Remove section? And how do I make changes to the startup menu? Thanks again in advance.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:33 AM

Ccleaner is a program (free) that helps keep your PC running smoothly. Perhaps this is the best way to learn about it.

Main page: CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download
Features: CCleaner - Features
Where I go to download it: Download CCleaner 3.08.1475 - FileHippo.com

When downloading click on the link at the top right and wait for a gray dialog box to open. Don't click on anything until it opens. Many, many people have downloaded the wrong thing because they got antsy and started clicking on stuff.

In Ccleaner one of the menu options is Tools and it has subsections used to remove programs from your computer (Uninstall), remove items from startup (Startup), or disable items in startup which means they are still there, they just aren't allowed to run when the PC starts. I use disable so if I find that the program really should be running at startup I can go back and enable it.

Add/Remove is part of the Windows system and is used for the same purpose. I did a bit of confusing cross reference there.

I would recommend two things for your comfort level if you need it. Read the information on the web site, and do a search in this forum for Ccleaner. There are quite a number of threads where it is discussed.

Do understand the items listed on the main menu (Cleaner) at the left in Ccleaner before you the cleaner portion. You don't want to remove items you may use, like recently typed urls, or download history. Some people keep and use these, some don't.

If you have concerns about programs you see on these lists and want advice, post a list of what you have on this thread and you will get help with deciding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers