Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 07:24 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times

Advertisements

I just installed Ubuntu 12.10 using the Windows installer. It went pretty smooth, and I didn't encounter any problems. As a newbie to Ubuntu, I'll be posting some basic questions. Here are some that I have right now:

1. How often can I expect new releases? Will I have to do a manual update when 12.11 comes out or can I have it done automically?

2. Is an antivirus needed or not? If it is, any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
1. I would not want it automatically, however, when doing other updates, it should tell you when the upgrade is available.

2. No need for antivirus software.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Is an antivirus needed or not? If it is, any recommendations?
[] Do not re-install Windoze.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
Quote:
I just installed Ubuntu 12.10 using the Windows installer. It went pretty smooth, and I didn't encounter any problems. As a newbie to Ubuntu, I'll be posting some basic questions. Here are some that I have right now:

1. How often can I expect new releases? Will I have to do a manual update when 12.11 comes out or can I have it done automically?
There won't be a "12.11". Unless it's changed, Ubuntu versioning use the year.month they are released. So your Ubuntu 12.10 was released on 2012.October. The next version will be 13.whatever month they release it. Most likely 13.04 (April, 2013).

When you're using Ubuntu, you'll be prompted accordingly if there are updates available. When there's a major release (like a LTS version), you may even wipe out the old version and install the new version.

It might be a good idea to save all your user data files in another drive or partition. This way, even if you wipe out the old Ubuntu version and install a new one, all your data can be easily found. Keep in mind that from Ubuntu, you can see/use the files in the Windows partition (if you dual boot Windows and Ubuntu). For Windows to access files on the Ubuntu partition, you'll have to install some utility software. For more file security, you may want to keep your files in the Linux partition.

Here's more info on Ubuntu releases- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

As you'll see, if you want the most stable release with long term support, you'll probably want the LTS version. If you want the version with the latest and greatest features, then get the intermediate release.

Ubuntu has a funky way of naming their releases - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Quote:
2. Is an antivirus needed or not? If it is, any recommendations?
Not really. Being protected by a firewall (say, from your router) is normally sufficient. But it wouldn't be a bad idea either.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

More notes on Security - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Security

Honestly, if you really want to learn and leverage Ubuntu in particular (and Linux in general), you'd be much better off joining some "Ubuntu Forums". You'll learn much more in these forums.

There's even an "Absolute Beginner's" section - Absolute Beginners Section.

The more you read through the forums, the more familiar you'll be with the vernacular. The more familiar you are with the terminology, the easier it will be understand. Who knows? Once you get familiar with Ubuntu Linux, you might become more adventurous and venture into the more techy Linux distributions.

Explore the Software Centre and see how easy it is to download/install.

If you like Ubuntu / Linux, please consider contributing your time and effort or donating money.

Welcome to the dark side ... the world of fast and secure computing!

Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Proceeding slowly through those links fastninja500 posted. I found a problem with my hide launcher feature today. After setting it up, when I hover over on the left side to make it re-appear it doesn't re-appear. Google it and saw that many have had this problem. Haven't found a solution yet.

Thanks again for all the responses!!

Old 04-29-2013, 12:58 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,046 times
I use Ubuntu Studio, Bodhi Linux and AntiX. No need for anti-virus, since viruses mostly work on Windows, and need administrative priviledges. Linux requires you to put your password in order to do administrative things, so viruses can't activate. And, even if they could, they would only affect your home folder, not your system files.

You can do something neat: go to your Synaptic Package manager and type "ufw" (no quotes) in the search bar. If it's not installed, install it. Then open a terminal and type: "sudo ufw enable" (no quotes) and hit enter, then put your password and hit enter. Now you have a firewall that makes you feel safer.

Peace.
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers