U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:31 AM

674 posts, read 2,286,439 times

Advertisements

Here's what happened: screen went blank when trying to switch users in Windows. After waiting several minutes I powered the PC off and turned it back on but it got stuck on the BIOS screen for several minutes. I turned it off and on but same result, one time it gave me boot disk not found error.

I plug the hard drive to my laptop using a dock but it's not recognized by Windows, no red question marks in device manager. It powers up fine, no odd or clicking noises but after like 2 minutes it will stop spinning then it will spin again. I plug another hard drive using the dock and it immediately gets detected.

Is there any hope of reviving it without using expensive data recovery services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 01:04 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,846,836 times
It sounds like mechanically the drive is fine but the integrated board is hosed.
I am not sure if swapping the drive (obviously soldering is involved, etc. so definitely not for the fainthearted!) trick would work but in order to do it, you would need another drive that is identical to the failed one.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:42 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,345,192 times
Swapping a hard drive's controller doesn't require any soldering, but if there's any chance at all of it working, you'd need to find a replacement that's a perfect match.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:52 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,654,908 times
Could be the MBR is screwed up on the disk??

How about the OP running some type of disk diagnostic first before telling the OP to replace the logic card on the drive...

I feel sorta sorry for the OP but dang, how many times do we see this where the user has no backups?

Blind Faith in Technology

Last edited by plwhit; 07-15-2011 at 02:03 AM..

Old 07-15-2011, 02:18 AM

I'll see if I can find an identical hard drive. I believe I read somewhere that the board wouldn't be the issue if the drive spins though.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Could be the MBR is screwed up on the disk??

How about the OP running some type of disk diagnostic first before telling the OP to replace the logic card on the drive...

I feel sorta sorry for the OP but dang, how many times do we see this where the user has no backups?

Blind Faith in Technology
I used to subscribe to Mozy online backups but their renewal rate was too much so I canceled it last April

I never got around to finding another backup solution

Old 07-15-2011, 03:57 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
You need to tell us whether the hard drive is recognized by the bios on one or more computers.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:01 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,270,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
It sounds like mechanically the drive is fine but the integrated board is hosed.
I am not sure if swapping the drive (obviously soldering is involved, etc. so definitely not for the fainthearted!) trick would work but in order to do it, you would need another drive that is identical to the failed one.
And usually successful only if the board is exactly the same, and the serial# of the drives are close, indicating they were manufactured in about the same time frame.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,846,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Swapping a hard drive's controller doesn't require any soldering, but if there's any chance at all of it working, you'd need to find a replacement that's a perfect match.
One one model of Quantum (back in the day), I had to but you are right with the new drives, I reckon that is not the case. Yes, matching it with a compatible, identical (same series, manufacturing time zone, etc.) would be the hardest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You need to tell us whether the hard drive is recognized by the bios on one or more computers.
I agree. His initial post did seem to indicate that it was getting stuck at POST with drive in so I assumed BIOS was not able to see it properly.
But, if BIOS sees it but not Windows, then a screwy MBR might be the case so the above suggestion wouldn't apply at all.
If BIOS cannot detect it either then ...

I would recommend going to the drive manufacturer's web site and download its (free) bootable diagnostics tools that usually come with the retail box. Burn it on a CD as it would be bootable, then boot to it with the drive connected. See if the drive's own diagnostic utility can detect it.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:04 PM

I will check the BIOS on another PC, hopefully later today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers