Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,595 times

Advertisements

Wait....is the iPad and other computer connecting to the router and not connecting to the internet, or not connecting to the router at all?

By the sheer fact that he and/or she's on the net now, in his and/or her current configuration, makes me feel like the cable config wouldn't cause an issue, but then again when he and/or she unplugs it and plugs it into the modem spot, his and/or her connection is lost.

Weird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 05:31 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Wait....is the iPad and other computer connecting to the router and not connecting to the internet, or not connecting to the router at all?

By the sheer fact that he and/or she's on the net now, in his and/or her current configuration, makes me feel like the cable config wouldn't cause an issue, but then again when he and/or she unplugs it and plugs it into the modem spot, his and/or her connection is lost.

Weird
The cable config IS a big issue. Providers almost always supply only one IP address which is why one needs a router, if you plug the cable modem into the switch portion and not the WAN port your bypassing the routers main purpose, distributing the internet connection. Additional devices will connect to the router but they won't have internet access.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:16 AM

398 posts, read 1,292,004 times
Thanks everyone!

I wound up calling Belkin for help. Apparently, the fix was to connect the main laptop to the router and connect that way. Then, log all the other computers onto the router, then remove the main laptop.

It's still confusing to me. But the house is wired again!

PS I call baloney on Belkin for saying on their box, "Installs in three easy steps!" Very easy, yes. But connectivity, not so easy.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:20 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Belkin is right All the computers in the network have to connect through the router. But before the other computers can connect to the router, it must be connected to a main computer (modem to the router, and router to main computer). The next step is to set-up the router by creating an account using the account data provided by your ISP. Once the router is set-up, it then can connect to the ISP through the modem. The rest of the computers are routed through the modem by the "router."

Old 07-17-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Belkin is right All the computers in the network have to connect through the router. But before the other computers can connect to the router, it must be connected to a main computer (modem to the router, and router to main computer). The next step is to set-up the router by creating an account using the account data provided by your ISP. Once the router is set-up, it then can connect to the ISP through the modem. The rest of the computers are routed through the modem by the "router."
That's entirely dependent on the ISP, with DSL (PPPOE) you may have to do this, cable general doesn't require any configuration of the router to work as there is no user name or password.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That's entirely dependent on the ISP, with DSL (PPPOE) you may have to do this, cable general doesn't require any configuration of the router to work as there is no user name or password.
You may be correct. I don't know anything about cable DSLs.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
You may be correct. I don't know anything about cable DSLs.
Cable and DSL are two different things, there's no such thing as cable DSL

Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Cable and DSL are two different things, there's no such thing as cable DSL
. What I meant to say is that I don't know much about cable modems.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:15 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
Quote:
That doesn't make much sense for DSL based on my experience. The PPPoE account information is stored in the modem.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That doesn't make much sense for DSL based on my experience. The PPPoE account information is stored in the modem.
Depends on the ISP, with some of them you have to change the modem to bridge mode and the router does the logon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers