U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2011, 09:04 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
22,370 posts, read 19,836,515 times
Reputation: 8825

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Oh... AMD will remain in business. Bitcoin miners alone are carrying a good chunk of their revenue these days. AMD has nothing to fear unless bitcoins implode.
Interesting aspect

I am not so sure about their future. Intel has announced new processors with 3- dimensional transistors for the end of this year, which they have been developing for the past 10 years or so. If AMD doesn't have something similar in the pipeline, there might be problems ahead as that 3D transistor technology is supposed to be a a huge step forward in the evolution of processors... Missing the train just once in that aggressive and progressive market can mean the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 AM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Interesting aspect

I am not so sure about their future. Intel has announced new processors with 3- dimensional transistors for the end of this year, which they have been developing for the past 10 years or so. If AMD doesn't have something similar in the pipeline, there might be problems ahead as that 3D transistor technology is supposed to be a a huge step forward in the evolution of processors... Missing the train just once in that aggressive and progressive market can mean the end.
Intel is behind in APU technology. So it's just halfsteps here and there. Don't think that AMD is sitting silently just because Intel put out a press release. Intel takes a lot of leaps forward in technology that don't quite make it to the other side for years after launch. So we'll have to see.

Also, AMD has a lot of technology in today's smartphones and gaming consoles... so that's another way they are making money.

Here's just one guys bitcoin mining rig:


‪Bitcoin Mining Rig - 24 Machine Setup - 48Gh‬‏ - YouTube

Each of those computers have multiple AMD cards in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 09:23 AM
 
8,266 posts, read 10,842,829 times
Reputation: 4774
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Intel is behind in APU technology.
Indeed, one can't overstate the how much stronger AMD is in GPU technology and how that will be leveraged more and more as their graphics side continues to merge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 09:24 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
22,370 posts, read 19,836,515 times
Reputation: 8825
Crazy Is that legal?

What might also help AMD is that their foundry is working together with other companies such as Samsung and IBM...

I have always had AMD processors, currently I am still using an Athlon 3700, whose power is ridiculous by today's standards, but it has been working fine for 7 years, even with the included standard cooler. It has started to rust, though, because of the high humidity during the winter here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 AM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Crazy Is that legal?

What might also help AMD is that their foundry is working together with other companies such as Samsung and IBM...

I have always had AMD processors, currently I am still using an Athlon 3700, whose power is ridiculous by today's standards, but it has been working fine for 7 years, even with the included standard cooler. It has started to rust, though, because of the high humidity during the winter here
Where are you that you have high humidity during the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 09:34 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
22,370 posts, read 19,836,515 times
Reputation: 8825
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Where are you that you have high humidity during the winter?
Portugal, winter is like Monsoon time here And since there is no heating worth mentioning, the humidity just sinks to the cold tile floor where my computer is placed. Sometimes it literally condenses and the floor is wet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 AM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Portugal, winter is like Monsoon time here And since there is no heating worth mentioning, the humidity just sinks to the cold tile floor where my computer is placed. Sometimes it literally condenses and the floor is wet
Oh wow... That's the opposite extreme of what we have over here in NJ. Our winters are so dry that I have to keep applying lotion throughout the entire day.

I was going to say, that if electricity is expensive in your area, a newer lower end CPU might even save you money compared to your athlon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
3,685 posts, read 8,499,173 times
Reputation: 2978
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Also, AMD has a lot of technology in today's smartphones
What components are those? I thought one of the reasons Dirk Meyer got canned as CEO was because of perceived missteps when it came to entering the smartphone market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2011, 11:44 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
22,370 posts, read 19,836,515 times
Reputation: 8825
Was just compiling the list of components to order and read about CPU coolers. Incredible how huge they have gotten. Currently I still have one of those compact blow-down coolers without any heat pipes. But those modern ones, gee, some models weigh more than two pounds and measure 7 inches in height One might think that they rip the motherboard apart, after all the motherboard is installed vertical

The AMD processor comes with a stock cooler, but have read time and again that it is so bad, especially loud. So I was wondering, shall I get one of those huge tower thingies or a really good blow-down cooler, like the Alpenfoehn Gotthard? Some say a top-blow cooler is better because it cools the components surrounding the CPU as well. Then again, why does it cool those components when it blows down on the CPU? Doesn't it blow the hot air from the cooling fins below the fan onto the components?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2011, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
3,685 posts, read 8,499,173 times
Reputation: 2978
IMHO, as long as you aren't going to overclock, the stock air coolers are fine.

I can't hear the stock cooler on my Phenom II X4 system, due to my Seasonic S12II power supply being much louder than I expected (I've had Antecs that were quieter, but the last two I had emitted a high pitch whine which was worse than fan noise, so I gave up on them). But the CPU fan speed varies with load, so most of the time it is running at low speed and almost inaudible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top