U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM

22,370 posts, read 19,834,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
IMHO, as long as you aren't going to overclock, the stock air coolers are fine.

I can't hear the stock cooler on my Phenom II X4 system, due to my Seasonic S12II power supply being much louder than I expected (I've had Antecs that were quieter, but the last two I had emitted a high pitch whine which was worse than fan noise, so I gave up on them). But the CPU fan speed varies with load, so most of the time it is running at low speed and almost inaudible.
Oh yes, high-pitched noise is awful, makes you feel like having Tinnitus. Since I will use my computer for making music (among other things) I will get a silent power supply, so I guess I won't be as "lucky" as you

My old Athlon 3700 is also cooled by the stock cooler, has worked fine all those years and is not loud at all. But then again, that processor is old and slow...

My cheap no-name power supply is very quiet and has never failed in 6 years or so, amazing So many people complain about their power supplies breaking, even expensive brand devices (sure, you can return it, but it sucks when you need your computer). The trick might be to buy a cheap no-name power supply whose rated max. wattage is much higher than what the PC can ever demand, maybe 200 to 300W higher. This way a mediocre power supply is never put to the test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,707,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The trick might be to buy a cheap no-name power supply whose rated max. wattage is much higher than what the PC can ever demand, maybe 200 to 300W higher. This way a mediocre power supply is never put to the test.
Not true.

The REAL trick is to find a PSU with 12v rail (or rails) that is fat enough to handle all your stuff reliably. Wattage doesn't mean anything if you're running on a 15 amp rail That's the problem with these cheap no-name PSUs.......yeah they have wattage, but firstly they don't have a great efficiency rating (hello high electricity bill, nice to meet you) and secondly they have terribly rated 12v rails. Plus more often than not they have several small rails, and normally people grab a single strand of connectors and connect everything together, so yeah you might have 30amps of combined rails, but if you're only using one rail to connect everything, you're wasting potential and risking your equipment's lifespan.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:50 PM

Hm, I am no electrician. What in the usual psu specs tells me if a psu has one or more fat enough 12V rails?
In terms of efficiency, the 80+ certificate is good, right?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:11 PM

80+ is fine, it's the standard. Typically fly-by-night PSU manufacturers don't really hold up to the 80+ cert, but it's all speculation from my end, I don't do the tests like anandtech does.

Your rails should be listed on the side of the PSU. Should have a few, like 3.3v, 5v, -5v, 12v, -12v, yada yada.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:15 AM

3,685 posts, read 8,498,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Oh yes, high-pitched noise is awful, makes you feel like having Tinnitus. Since I will use my computer for making music (among other things) I will get a silent power supply, so I guess I won't be as "lucky" as you
Just to clarify, for my most recent budget build I had bought an Antec Earthwatts 380D from Amazon and an Antec 430D from Fry's, and both exhibited the high pitch whine, so I returned both and got full refunds, then bought the Seasonic S12II.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Just to clarify, for my most recent budget build I had bought an Antec Earthwatts 380D from Amazon and an Antec 430D from Fry's, and both exhibited the high pitch whine, so I returned both and got full refunds, then bought the Seasonic S12II.
Well, they sell different brands over here anyway, I guess I will get a Be Quiet Straight Power psu with 450W and 88% efficiency, seems very solid and got great reviews. I'll only have the motherboard, processor, hard disk and DVD drive, no cards, so it should be enough.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:56 PM

My components are on their way
Since I will turn off the 3-core turbo function (from 3.3 to 3.7GHz) and only slightly overclock all six cores (from 3.3 to 3.5GHz) instead, I opted for the boxed cooler. If it's too loud, I can still buy a better one.
Also ordered a 500W power supply by Chieftec, a German company, so hopefully it is robust and provides enough juice
The tables (http://www.chieftec.eu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=449 - broken link) are in English, but they don't tell me much anyway
This will be my first computer that doesn't have a floppy drive

Old 08-04-2011, 04:36 PM

OOOOOOH post pics and stuff when you build it I always get giddy when someone's building a new pc

Old 08-04-2011, 06:42 PM

696 posts, read 1,519,049 times
Geek Pron Picture

Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 PM

:O your CPU cooler looks like mine

(please excuse my messy lazy wiring and dusty components)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or