U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 06:10 PM

902 posts, read 957,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Just for fun? I mean, when you already have a working PC, why build a new one?
I'm was kind of a benching and stat *****. For a long time I would rebuild about every 6-9 months, sell off my old parts, and rebuild with what ever is hot then. I used to have a circle of friends that would just wait for me to upgrade and then buy my stuff. Just a hobby I suppose.

I can't complain too much, I mean I have a nice laptop (Asus G73), but I miss my big dual screen overclocked monster. I've sold CPU's before, because they clocked liked crap, and rolled the dice on another

If I thought there was a niche market large enough I could tap into selling stable overclocked rigs, I'd be all over it - but I think most that feel safe using an overclocked computer, just do it themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:57 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,708,241 times
I definitely need a new PC every 24-36 months, I can't stand working with antiquated hardware.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:13 AM

22,377 posts, read 19,840,871 times
Received the first half of the components yesterday. The case looks ok, but unfortunately the front connection panel looks the same inside as with the old computer, which probably means that my computer will keep crashing with a blue screen when I plug in headphones or a USB pen drive without touching metal first
The power supply came without power cord It was put inside a box of another brand, looks like a bulk or OEM product, without screws or anything, but it didn't say so on the site, I hate that kind of sloppiness Now I have to run around hoping to find suitable screws...
The fans came with funny rubber fasteners Maybe I can do without screws. I suppose one has to pull those rubber fasteners through the holes, but I didn't manage to yesterday, maybe it takes more force, but I don't want to break anything

Old 08-12-2011, 03:47 PM

Got the remaining components today and built the computer in the afternoon.
Have not turned it on, though.

Just two little issues (afaik):

How do I know if I put the right amount of paste between processor and heat sink? I can't inspect the processor as it is surrounded by other components that can't be removed. I wish I could see if some of that paste was squeezed out at the edges of the processor
If they had constructed the release lever for the processor differently, one could lift the entire cooler/processor assembly off the motherboard and inspect it. Idiots...

The other annoying thing are those front panel connections on the motherboard. Amazing they still use those ridiculously tiny, flimsy connectors. I don't quite know how to connect them. If I understood that right, the two on the right side have to be connected vertically, the three (one double and two single connectors) on the right horizontally, like this =||. Or maybe they are all four like this ==? Not sure. Are the white wires ground and negative?

I have the same socket layout as shown on this webpage:
Building your PC: Installing internal cards and case cables

Same issue with the 4-pin system "speaker" plug, one can plug it in in two directions, probably only one is correct But which one?

Last edited by Neuling; 08-12-2011 at 03:56 PM..

Old 08-12-2011, 03:55 PM

None should be connected vertically at all. All horizontal.

As far as the processor, which processor did you get? ArcticSilver has a gallery of how you should apply thermal paste. If you think some might have squeezed out, you used way too much. There are a lot of youtube videos on it too, especially if you bought a popular processor.

I don't understand how taking the processor and heatsink out of the mobo at the same time would work. The paste does not act as a cement or anything like that, how would you place it back in correctly? The way it's designed it to make sure of two things: First, that the processor is in correctly and that all pins are touching the correct contacts. Second, it assures that the heatsink is very tightly bound to the motherboard.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:25 PM

This is interesting:

How Thermal Compound Spreads - YouTube
I got the Phenom II 1100T.

OK, I will reconnect those little plugs horizontally tomorrow.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:13 PM

Haha! That's the exact youtube video I was thinking of!

Old 08-12-2011, 05:49 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,331,901 times
I don't have high hopes for Bulldozer. They dismissed a few Benchmark Programs AMD used to endorse because they showed Bulldozer was slower than Sandy Bridge. They want a fudged up benchmark that shows Bulldozer is better. I'm very glad I bought my $250 on sale i7 2600K because it would be way better than the best Bulldozer at a $320 price tag.

I used to be an AMD CPU fan when they were faster than Intel during the Athlon XP days until Core 2 Duo blew them away. Then AMD was only worth it because it was cheaper. That seems the only way AMD will survive now, as Intel performance blows them away.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:45 PM

Yesterday I finished the assembly of my computer, seems to work fine. However it is loud, the CPU cooler that is.

I have reduced the core voltage from the default 1.36V to 1.25V, still running stable. Actually it is hard to challenge this computer, it is so fast, it hardly ever leaves the reduced performance mode (i.e. about 800MHz). I don't want to know what it sounds like should I ever get it to go to 3.5GHz
Still, the fan turns quite fast all the time, around 6k rpm +-500, while the core temp is 32° Celsius and the CPU temp 39° according to SpeedFan. I would not mind if it rose 5° or so and the fan slowed down a bit. Right when I turn my computer on it is pretty silent, but after about 2 minutes it is loud again.

Unfortunately the other fan speeds are not displayed correctly and most of the time not at all. So I have no idea if air flow within the case is ok. It says Aux temp 106° Celsius, probably a mistake, right?

Any ideas?

Old 09-10-2011, 04:02 PM

696 posts, read 1,519,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yesterday I finished the assembly of my computer, seems to work fine. However it is loud, the CPU cooler that is.

Any ideas?
I would like help.
I need the monitor brand and model
and the cpu cooler brand and model if not stock/oem.

For temp info I use to use speed fan and now use HWmonitor (free version from the zip not setup type).

CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

And which cpu just because I am curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or