U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:35 PM

2,494 posts, read 4,767,476 times

Advertisements

A lot of XP users say that when they use MSconfig and try to save changes, XO will tell them access is denied because they are not an administrator, even if they are administrators. It has happened to me also.

I found lots of articles on this and there's an HP update that causes this to happen and you can change the registry. See link below. I tried but it didn't work.

I also tried to do this while stopping Norton AV. However I can't stop Norton AV at all.

PC Hell: How to Fix Access Denied Error when Using MSCONFIG

I was trying to remove things from the Startup tab. I've read that you can do this through the registry, but do you have to be an administrator? I am one, but I might have the same prob anyway.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:45 PM

2,494 posts, read 4,767,476 times
Correction: I did use registry edit today and it worked.

If you use the regedit to get rid of startuip programs - should the name of each program be the same here as in Msconfig/Startup tab?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:43 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,392,750 times
The Command column in msconfig will match up to what is in regedit. Also the location column in msconfig will match up to what is in regedit. However, the name field in regedit and the startup item column in msconfig are not necessarily the same.

Also, keep in mind that if you are using regedit to get rid of startup programs there are at least two different places to look:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

Here is some good information on the registry: How the Windows Registry Works

Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,705,982 times
Don't get rid of startup items through the registry or MSCONFIG. The registry is a very, very dangerous place to be in, and I do not recommend playing in it at ALL unless you know exactly what you're doing. MSCONFIG isn't a good place to start either. These two tools are not for every-day causal changes to your OS.

Use something like CCleaner or CodeStuffStarter to remove startup items.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 AM

696 posts, read 1,518,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Don't get rid of startup items through the registry or MSCONFIG. The registry is a very, very dangerous place to be in, and I do not recommend playing in it at ALL unless you know exactly what you're doing. MSCONFIG isn't a good place to start either. These two tools are not for every-day causal changes to your OS.

Use something like CCleaner or CodeStuffStarter to remove startup items.

MSconfig is a fine place and no reason no to visit there.
But the startup viewer in CCleaner is a much easier place to
stop programs from starting with windows for beginners..
The problem is once they use the startup function in CCleaner they may want to jump on CCleaners registry cleaner.
The registry cleaner or going directly into the regedit is not a place for beginners unless they have nothing to lose and can reload windows from scratch when their computer will not restart.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:29 AM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe_T3K View Post
MSconfig is a fine place and no reason no to visit there.
But the startup viewer in CCleaner is a much easier place to
stop programs from starting with windows for beginners..
The problem is once they use the startup function in CCleaner they may want to jump on CCleaners registry cleaner.
The registry cleaner or going directly into the regedit is not a place for beginners unless they have nothing to lose and can reload windows from scratch when their computer will not restart.
Seems a stretch to think this is going to happen.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:35 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,841,532 times
I don't care what program or how you modify the registry but make sure to backup at least the part you are modifying prior to doing any work.

Another personal advice, if you are not savvy, do one change at a time, this goes for those tinkering with their BIOS as well. Remember one change per sessions (meaning between reboots), this one if something hits the fan you know what caused it and would be a lot easier to revert back.

If you need a program to backup/restore registry, free Erunt is a darn good registry backup tool. It acts a lot like Windows' own Restore Point.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Seems a stretch to think this is going to happen.
That what is going to happen????

Old 07-23-2011, 01:35 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
What? Bold letters don't register with you?

Old 07-23-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
What? Bold letters don't register with you?

Nope

So why the comment that makes no sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers